Results 1 to 15 of 15

4L60e/4L65e----4L80e/4L85e

This is a discussion on 4L60e/4L65e----4L80e/4L85e within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; alright i am a bit new to the 4L60e transmission. i remember when we would take out a th350 and ...

  1. #1
    Member joedude02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Goose Creek, SC
    Age
    36
    Posts
    349

    Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

    4L60e/4L65e----4L80e/4L85e

    alright i am a bit new to the 4L60e transmission. i remember when we would take out a th350 and upgrade with the powerglide for the track or the th400 for the street. what is the difference of the 4L60e and the 4L65e. and is the 4L80e just a 4 speed with o/d? and what is the 4L85e? hard to find exact specs on these. are the 65 and 85 a heavy duty or just newer? i want to pick up a core and have it ready for back up. any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    subscribed curious to know.

  3. #3
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by joedude02 View Post
    alright i am a bit new to the 4L60e transmission. i remember when we would take out a th350 and upgrade with the powerglide for the track or the th400 for the street. what is the difference of the 4L60e and the 4L65e. and is the 4L80e just a 4 speed with o/d? and what is the 4L85e? hard to find exact specs on these. are the 65 and 85 a heavy duty or just newer? i want to pick up a core and have it ready for back up. any suggestions?
    if you can, id just stick with the 4l60e, you can do some minor upgrades and they will hold alot of powerand take less to turn.
    corvette solinoids
    beast clutchpack

    someone else might add to this but hope i helped alittle

  4. #4
    Member joedude02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Goose Creek, SC
    Age
    36
    Posts
    349

    Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

    just wanting a clear understanding of what's what, you know? if an o/d will help will high gears in the back, i could benefit from it as a dd. since the first of the year i have only put 6500 miles on the car. dd to the grocery store and down the interstate every once and awhile.

  5. #5
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by joedude02 View Post
    just wanting a clear understanding of what's what, you know? if an o/d will help will high gears in the back, i could benefit from it as a dd. since the first of the year i have only put 6500 miles on the car. dd to the grocery store and down the interstate every once and awhile.
    from my understanding the 4l60e is actually an O/D tranny, but there are 6 speed trannies, might be the 65/85, not sure, but the 6 speed auto is like the m6 and 5th is an overdrive and 6th is a second over drive.....5th is like .85:1 and 6th is .7:1
    then again i have been wrong before, this just what i have been told lol

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    74

    white
    1993 gmc typhoon

    4l60e is just an electric 700r4 which i believe is the overdrive th350, the 4l65e is an upgraded 4l60e. the 4l80e is a th400 with overdrive and electronic.
    4l60e is a four speed longitudally mounted 60 series electronic transmission. there is a 4t60e which is a four speed transversely mounted 60 series electric transmission. a 6l80e would be the six speed transmission.

    i wouln't waste my time or money trying to beef up a 4l60e/700r4 and just go with a 4l80e. the 700 breaks hard parts when it fails while in general a 4l80 will just burn clutches. in the six years i've worked on hunvees i've only had to replace three 4l80e trannys and two were due to 80/90 gear oil being put in them. the transmission it replaced was a variation of the th350 i believe and i have replaced dozens of them.

  7. #7
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    very informative thanks

  8. #8
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by typhoon1110 View Post
    4l60e is just an electric 700r4 which i believe is the overdrive th350, the 4l65e is an upgraded 4l60e. the 4l80e is a th400 with overdrive and electronic.
    4l60e is a four speed longitudally mounted 60 series electronic transmission. there is a 4t60e which is a four speed transversely mounted 60 series electric transmission. a 6l80e would be the six speed transmission.

    i wouln't waste my time or money trying to beef up a 4l60e/700r4 and just go with a 4l80e. the 700 breaks hard parts when it fails while in general a 4l80 will just burn clutches. in the six years i've worked on hunvees i've only had to replace three 4l80e trannys and two were due to 80/90 gear oil being put in them. the transmission it replaced was a variation of the th350 i believe and i have replaced dozens of them.
    thanks for all the onfo man!

  9. #9
    Member joedude02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Goose Creek, SC
    Age
    36
    Posts
    349

    Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

    anyone know where to find a fair priced 4L80e? i'm not looking to spend 4k on a tranny. should i rebuild it myself? are they that difficult?

  10. #10
    Member joedude02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Goose Creek, SC
    Age
    36
    Posts
    349

    Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

    FINALLY FOUND THE INFO I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/GM-4L60E-4L65E-4...QQcmdZViewItem


    The 4L60E transmission is a four-speed, computer-controlled, overdrive transmission which began service in various GM vehicles in 1993. There are many versions of the 4L60E, which are used in various GM vehicles. This transmission replaced the 700R4, and shares some parts with it. It is distinguishable from the 700R4 in that it has no Throttle Valve cable, and the electrical plug enters from the passenger's side of the case. Beginning with the 1997 model year, the bell housing unbolts from the case. However, some late 1996 van models also had bolt-on bell housings, while some applications in 1997 still had the earlier one-piece case. The gear ratios in this transmission are as follows:
    First gear 3.06 to 1, second gear 1.63 to 1, third gear 1 to 1, and fourth gear 0.70 to 1.

    The 4L65E transmission is a very close equivalent of the 4L60E. It is also a four-speed, computer-controlled, overdrive transmission which began service later than the 4L60E. The only major difference is that the 4L65E uses five-pinion planetaries. Beyond that major difference, the remaining differences are minor, and are caused mainly by various different tail-shaft issues. These tail-shaft issues are due to the more prevalent use of the 4L65E in pick-up trucks and other vehicles which are available with a four-wheel drive option. The gear ratios in this transmission remain identical to the ratios in the 4L60E.

    The 4L80E transmission has the same basic user-oriented features as the 4L60E. It is also a four-speed, computer-controlled, overdrive transmission which began service in GM Trucks and also in some Jaguar vehicles. It began service in 1991 and the gear ratios in this transmission are as follows:
    First gear 2.48 to 1, second gear 1.48 to 1, third gear 1 to 1 and fourth gear 0.75 to 1.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    74

    white
    1993 gmc typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by joedude02 View Post
    anyone know where to find a fair priced 4L80e? i'm not looking to spend 4k on a tranny. should i rebuild it myself? are they that difficult?
    i'd check the local pick and pull and then have an alto clutch kit put in it.

  12. #12
    Make real real sure Johns00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Black
    2000 Z-28

    How fast do you want to go? There are guys in the 10's and even 9's with a 4L60E. From my understanding, the conversion from a 4L60E to a 4L80 is a monster and I'm not sure worth it unless you plan to lay down like 1000hp.

  13. #13
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    odessa,texas
    Posts
    1,056

    69 hugger orange
    98 z28

    yes the 4l80e is a 4 speed,6 speed wtf?

    it will take a few conversion pieces to make a 4l80e work,youll need a torque arm that doesnt bolt to the tranny,a computer harness conversion of some sort do a search and you will see
    and finally you have to have it tuned

    with all that you are looking at 800-1200 more to do a swap basically then to just leave the 4l60e

    you can get a 4l80e done for the same price or just a little more but you have to be thrifty and have a good tranny shop to build it or get you a good priced one
    and of course it is possible to do a 4l80e cheaper than some of the top of the line 4l60e are being sold for
    for instance my stage 2 was 1700 but a stage 3 tranny was like 2700
    Last edited by dpinson; 12-02-2008 at 02:53 PM.

  14. #14
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    odessa,texas
    Posts
    1,056

    69 hugger orange
    98 z28

    and as stated above unless you plan on making 1000 hp a 4l80e is a little overkill and you will lose horsepower trying to turn the heavier parts

  15. #15
    Member NaviDyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St Louis
    Age
    44
    Posts
    115

    Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

    Quote Originally Posted by joedude02 View Post
    FINALLY FOUND THE INFO I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/GM-4L60E-4L65E-4...QQcmdZViewItem


    The 4L60E transmission is a four-speed, computer-controlled, overdrive transmission which began service in various GM vehicles in 1993. There are many versions of the 4L60E, which are used in various GM vehicles. This transmission replaced the 700R4, and shares some parts with it. It is distinguishable from the 700R4 in that it has no Throttle Valve cable, and the electrical plug enters from the passenger's side of the case. Beginning with the 1997 model year, the bell housing unbolts from the case. However, some late 1996 van models also had bolt-on bell housings, while some applications in 1997 still had the earlier one-piece case. The gear ratios in this transmission are as follows:
    First gear 3.06 to 1, second gear 1.63 to 1, third gear 1 to 1, and fourth gear 0.70 to 1.

    The 4L65E transmission is a very close equivalent of the 4L60E. It is also a four-speed, computer-controlled, overdrive transmission which began service later than the 4L60E. The only major difference is that the 4L65E uses five-pinion planetaries. Beyond that major difference, the remaining differences are minor, and are caused mainly by various different tail-shaft issues. These tail-shaft issues are due to the more prevalent use of the 4L65E in pick-up trucks and other vehicles which are available with a four-wheel drive option. The gear ratios in this transmission remain identical to the ratios in the 4L60E.

    The 4L80E transmission has the same basic user-oriented features as the 4L60E. It is also a four-speed, computer-controlled, overdrive transmission which began service in GM Trucks and also in some Jaguar vehicles. It began service in 1991 and the gear ratios in this transmission are as follows:
    First gear 2.48 to 1, second gear 1.48 to 1, third gear 1 to 1 and fourth gear 0.75 to 1.
    1st post...

    That sounds right. The 700/4L60 isn't a THM350 with O/D, different ratios because of different gears. But the 4L80 is a THM400 with O/D, from what I have read. I have a truck and started to search the boards to see the shortcuts to swapping an LQ4 in place of the LM7 in 2002 Yukon. As opposed to the turbo Tahoe I read about on the link to the site.


LinkBacks (?)

  1. 12-31-2012, 08:29 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Spotter's Guide - 700-R4 Vs. 4L60E Vs. 4L65E
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum General Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 05:20 AM
  2. I NEED A 4L60E OR 4L65E TRANS 650HP's+
    By LS666BEAST in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 05:01 PM
  3. 4L60e to 4l65e swap
    By moondenn in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 06:53 AM
  4. 4l65e vs. 4l60e
    By Raoul-Duke in forum GTO
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 12:12 PM
  5. 4L60E upgrade to 4L65E ?
    By 03ChevyStepside in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2007, 06:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •