Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 68

4l60E

This is a discussion on 4l60E within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by mrwdjv The 4L60-E is an automatic shift, four-speed overdrive, longitudinally positioned transmission. It is now considered to ...

  1. #21
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwdjv View Post
    The 4L60-E is an automatic shift, four-speed overdrive, longitudinally positioned transmission. It is now considered to be the best rendition of the finest overdrive automatic transmission ever produced.

    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/4l60e.htm
    the th400??? ..which is considered one of the best

  2. #22
    Senior Member SteveCZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greene, Iowa
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,707

    Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

    i hink we should stop now...she undertsands she has a 4l60e (a/t) thats about all shes gonna understand. she wont be able to fathom all the info bout fluid levels and possible overheating due to small passages for the fluid to pass thru..gotta explain it like your explaining it to a kid here

  3. #23
    Member mrwdjv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Age
    38
    Posts
    213

    Purple
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    i hink we should stop now...she undertsands she has a 4l60e (a/t) thats about all shes gonna understand. she wont be able to fathom all the info bout fluid levels and possible overheating due to small passages for the fluid to pass thru..gotta explain it like your explaining it to a kid here
    Not true

  4. #24
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    i hink we should stop now...she undertsands she has a 4l60e (a/t) thats about all shes gonna understand. she wont be able to fathom all the info bout fluid levels and possible overheating due to small passages for the fluid to pass thru..gotta explain it like your explaining it to a kid here
    why are you being such a dick ? just curious..are you mad at her ?

  5. #25
    Homebrew Master irishpenguin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    leesburg, florida
    Age
    36
    Posts
    572

    Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

    to M. Wright:

    ur trainsmishin hellps u go. this iz goood.

  6. #26
    NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,048

    383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i know the big problem is the trans fluid clearances between parts..it can lead to heat related failures.that and the bands and input shaft... that is why when the time comes.. i will be sending my trans to FLT to do the stage 2..maybe 3 for mine.
    Be sure to put a big trans cooler on there too. Also putting a bigger pan on can help with cooling. I put a 4L65e trans pan (from a truck I think) it holds another quart and 1/2 over a stock pan. The B&M ones hold more fluid but also hang down too far for my lowered car.

    FLT is really good. That's who built Ed's trans and he hasn't broken it yet. Although he hasn't driven his car in over 2 years.

    Good job on your explanations Jordon....you've done some solid research.

  7. #27
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Be sure to put a big trans cooler on there too. Also putting a bigger pan on can help with cooling. I put a 4L65e trans pan (from a truck I think) it holds another quart and 1/2 over a stock pan. The B&M ones hold more fluid but also hang down too far for my lowered car.

    FLT is really good. That's who built Ed's trans and he hasn't broken it yet. Although he hasn't driven his car in over 2 years.

    Good job on your explanations Jordon....you've done some solid research.

    yea ..when i go get stalled i will throw a cooler on..and a temp gauge just so i know...i heard about the pans..but i am always worried about ground clearance since i DD my car through winter etc. ..once my car becomes a warm weather car...i will probably swap pans

  8. #28
    Senior Member SteveCZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greene, Iowa
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,707

    Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

    shes selling her car anyways so we dont need to give her crazy ideas of building her trans all up and adding the trans cooler and fun goodies..she doesnt undertsand what were talking about again. so ill just leave it at that....you haz automatic...put lever in the D with the circle around it and push the go pedal

  9. #29
    Member mrwdjv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Age
    38
    Posts
    213

    Purple
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    shes selling her car anyways so we dont need to give her crazy ideas of building her trans all up and adding the trans cooler and fun goodies..she doesnt undertsand what were talking about again. so ill just leave it at that....you haz automatic...put lever in the D with the circle around it and push the go pedal
    Any reason you are such a jerk?

  10. #30
    Member mrwdjv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Age
    38
    Posts
    213

    Purple
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwdjv View Post
    Any reason you are such a jerk?
    Sorry, I didn't realize you were only 12.....that explains it!

  11. #31
    Senior Member SteveCZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greene, Iowa
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,707

    Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

    nope....just cuz..

  12. #32
    Homebrew Master irishpenguin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    leesburg, florida
    Age
    36
    Posts
    572

    Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    shes selling her car anyways so we dont need to give her crazy ideas of building her trans all up and adding the trans cooler and fun goodies..she doesnt undertsand what were talking about again. so ill just leave it at that....you haz automatic...put lever in the D with the circle around it and push the go pedal

  13. #33
    Homebrew Master irishpenguin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    leesburg, florida
    Age
    36
    Posts
    572

    Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwdjv View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realize you were only 12.....that explains it!
    any reason why you picked "12"? cuz my 5 year old son seems to know more about my transmission that you do.

  14. #34
    Member mrwdjv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Age
    38
    Posts
    213

    Purple
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by irishpenguin13 View Post
    any reason why you picked "12"? cuz my 5 year old son seems to know more about my transmission that you do.
    1st he is a boy! 2nd I don't care about it really unless it makes me money/

  15. #35
    NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,048

    383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwdjv View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realize you were only 12.....that explains it!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    nope....just cuz..
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpenguin13 View Post
    any reason why you picked "12"? cuz my 5 year old son seems to know more about my transmission that you do.

    Okay...this thread is getting turned into something it shouldn't. Just contribute to the thread topic. This is not in AAG.

  16. #36
    Homebrew Master irishpenguin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    leesburg, florida
    Age
    36
    Posts
    572

    Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwdjv View Post
    1st he is a boy! 2nd I don't care about it really unless it makes me money/

    elaborate.

  17. #37
    Homebrew Master irishpenguin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    leesburg, florida
    Age
    36
    Posts
    572

    Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post

    Okay...this thread is getting turned into something it shouldn't. Just contribute to the thread topic. This is not in AAG.
    oh, right. sorry. im out.

  18. #38
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    i hink we should stop now...she undertsands she has a 4l60e (a/t) thats about all shes gonna understand. she wont be able to fathom all the info bout fluid levels and possible overheating due to small passages for the fluid to pass thru..gotta explain it like your explaining it to a kid here
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    shes selling her car anyways so we dont need to give her crazy ideas of building her trans all up and adding the trans cooler and fun goodies..she doesnt undertsand what were talking about again. so ill just leave it at that....you haz automatic...put lever in the D with the circle around it and push the go pedal
    If you aren't going to help with a positive attitude, don't post in the thread.

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    harrisburg pa.
    Age
    61
    Posts
    868

    black
    02 vette vert

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the 4l60e stands for 4 speed- longitudinal- 6,000 gross weight (of the vehicle) - E for electronically controlled.

    the 4l60e is a good transmission with the proper maintenance.. it is increadabiliy picky on fuild amounts..just a smig to high or low will really wreak havoc on your transmission. the 4l60e has been replaced by the 6l60e which is in the corvettes etc. both are good transmissions..but when modding..a heavy look needs to be had at the transmission..a build up of the transmission is always a good idea. The 4l60e is prone to overheating and causing damage due to poor clearances for proper fluid flow. for a everyday DD with little to no mods a 4l60e is perfect and pretty trouble free..just make sure to not manually shift the transmission.
    are we back on now? ok, could you elaborate a little on why you say not to shift it manually?

  20. #40
    Member mrwdjv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Age
    38
    Posts
    213

    Purple
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post

    Okay...this thread is getting turned into something it shouldn't. Just contribute to the thread topic. This is not in AAG.
    Thank You!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. which 4l60e's are the same as 02 lsx......
    By jsmith564` in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 07:30 PM
  2. Need a 4l60e 98-02
    By ROMERO98Z28 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
  3. wtb lt1 4l60e..
    By pr0zac in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 02:49 PM
  4. '95 4L60E vs '01 4L60E biggest difference?
    By kgrantkey in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-28-2006, 01:09 AM
  5. LT1 Motor, LT1 4L60E, & LS1 4L60E
    By buck6680 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 08:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •