1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

a-4 slush box help?

Short and sweet, I don't have 3rd gear at all, or 4th, and reverse seems to be slipping into gear. I know these stock trans' suck, but before i plunk down the cash for an upgrade my question is: what are the odds of the previous owner burning out 3rd and 4th gear due to a driving habit? i could see 1st or 2nd, is it likely a fluid issue (it is black and smells burnt)? thx

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by walt's 98 ta View Post
    Short and sweet, I don't have 3rd gear at all, or 4th, and reverse seems to be slipping into gear. I know these stock trans' suck, but before i plunk down the cash for an upgrade my question is: what are the odds of the previous owner burning out 3rd and 4th gear due to a driving habit? i could see 1st or 2nd, is it likely a fluid issue (it is black and smells burnt)? thx
    id def start by doing a trans flush and get all that old crap outta there. then see how it operates.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

These trans. don't suck, The GM autos are better than almost anything out there. Just upgrade the sunshell and a few other items for extreme use The rearend sucks.

blue
    2000ss

If you are neutraling where the 2-3 shift should be the 3-4 clutch set it bad you would be wasting your money and time doing a flush, Sounds like its time for a trans and the 3d clutch is a very weak area that needs to be upgraded in any build
    FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,2YR WARRANTY, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL or text 570-578-5686 7 days a week 9 am till 10 pm.

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

where it actually neutrals is from 2nd on, so there is no 3rd or 4th gears, reverse slipps occasionally. I may drop the pan to see what it looks like but i hate to spend money on quarts of trans fluid just to flush it out if it's shot, i guess there are no guarantees.

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

performabuilt? I understand your opinion is biased, but how difficult is it to swap a trans into a firebird formula? a weekend project with hand tools and no lift?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

If you have jack stands tall enough to get the tranny out from under the car you can do it in a weekend.

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

cool, and is it basic. meaning take the stock trans out, install the new one, no computer changes etc? I've done trans swaps b-4 but not on these cars. thx guys..

Thread Information