Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Gear went?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

2nd Gear went?

I have a stock A4 with a 3000 stall, and a cooler.

I got on it and it wouldn't go into 2nd.. just relined after first :bang:

I believe when i had it tuned, i got the TM off and line pressure up by 20%.

Checked the dip stick, and it seemed the level was good, but smelt burnt. If i drive and pull it into 2nd it wont catch until a few trys..

Its raining, so im going to check it in the morning, think the cluck pack went out?

I have about 700 bucks, so what are my options? Rebuild stock?

I do drag race the car, i haven't ran it on the track since dec.

Thanks.
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

If the sunshell breaks you lose 2nd, 4th, and reverse. do you have 4th and reverse? Otherwise its the 2 - 4 band. Those 2 problems cover about 99% of the 2nd gear failures I've seen.
    So let us know if it will shift into 3rd, 4th, and reverse. You'll have to hold 1st longer to get up to a mph where it'll shift into 3rd

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    If the sunshell breaks you lose 2nd, 4th, and reverse. do you have 4th and reverse? Otherwise its the 2 - 4 band. Those 2 problems cover about 99% of the 2nd gear failures I've seen.
    So let us know if it will shift into 3rd, 4th, and reverse. You'll have to hold 1st longer to get up to a mph where it'll shift into 3rd
    lol yup thats what mine did a while back. You also wont have lockup. hate those

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Yea, everything works fine besides 2nd, drove home in 4th, and the stall was locked like normal, and rev worked.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Heres a vids

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I can't watch the video at work so I'll watch it when I get home. No 2nd only with all other gears ok is a strange problem, so I'll have to do some digging.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

It may still be the sun shell. Mine broke in a preformance rebuild. Actually the shell was only fractured at that time but the idiots that built it never took it apart to see what was wrong because they thought I had an electrical issue. Chased my tail on that through EVERY WIRE ON THE PCM!!! Never found any electrical problem, no grudge right... and with mine the trans would not fully engage 1st gear. I took it back 4 times but they found nothing wrong (still never taking it appart). I could get it to go into first only once in a while but most of the time it would not fully engage it. It acted like a really bad slip. Then I started getting pissed and beat on it. 3 months later I finally broke the damn sun shell after beating on it hard for 3 months. Took it back and the heavy duty shell had fractured above the splines half way up the shell. Not a typical spot for them to break.

I don't know about this at all but the only differance I see besides electrical is that the Low & reverse clutch plate asembly is supposed to release for second gear. The sun shell I think is right in front of it. If it has not broken all the way it might impact that clutch plate. If it wont release it might cause that delay... I don't know I just throw that out there. Don't buy that much into that quess. It is possible to break the sunshell with out it breaking all the way if you know what I mean.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

I took it to a local shop for a small drive, and he said that it might be the electric silinode?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I dont see how really, there are 2 A and B. They are both on in Park, reverse and first, and only B is on in second and both off in 3rd and only A on in 4th. so if that was the problem then it would have a problem in another gear I would think. A could be sticking but you should have the same type of problem when it would down shift out of 4th. Does it ever go into 2nd?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Yea, but barley, i have to raise and lower the rpms slowly to get it to catch into 2nd, and when it does catch anymore that a 1/4 throttle it will slide back out.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Cutlass has it 100 % correct here. Sounds like the 2 - 4 band to me. I know alot of people turn off TM. This is just me saying this every 4L60e with it turned off has this happen. I went manual valvebody and have yet to rebuild my stage 3 4l60e.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Cutlass has it 100 % correct here. Sounds like the 2 - 4 band to me. I know alot of people turn off TM. This is just me saying this every 4L60e with it turned off has this happen. I went manual valvebody and have yet to rebuild my stage 3 4l60e.
    TM off can cause a problem with the 2 4 band? do you know what happens exactly? I just orderd tune and did not want to mess with it so just incase I would like to hear more about this if you have info?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    TM off can cause a problem with the 2 4 band? do you know what happens exactly? I just orderd tune and did not want to mess with it so just incase I would like to hear more about this if you have info?
    Again this is my opinion. I am by no means a expert in this issue. While the problem tends to be the 2 - 4 band. Alot of the 4l60e's here that have had TM turned off have had tranny issues and not just the 2 - 4 band. Some will say it was not tuned correctly after the change. I have watched what I consider, Master Tuner's work their magic and it still fails. Again I want to stress this is local. We have a tuner here who is known nation wide. He told me to go to a manual valvebody and I have had no issues since.

I would ask Cutlass more about this than me.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Mine crapped out after I had TM turned off. Several of us Tulsa fbodies had our 4l60Es crap out after turning TM off.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Mine crapped out after I had TM turned off. Several of us Tulsa fbodies had our 4l60Es crap out after turning TM off.
    Again this may be based off a bad tune. We are just putting this info out there. And as stated not experts by any means.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Again this may be based off a bad tune. We are just putting this info out there. And as stated not experts by any means.
    Well it's still good to know so we can try and fined out an answer. Knoledge is power!!! like I said I feel better about not having the tuner touch the TM for my tune but I have a reworked trans that I was able to drive around before the tune and I liked it the way it was set up with a custom shift kit that played into my choice to not touch it. Thanks for the info.
    How about it cutlass? any info on the tm being tuned out?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

It is the 2-4 band, u can barley feel it in OD. But the guy gave me a price or 1200 to get that rebuilt + the small things that go with it! I can damn get that whole thing rebuilt, or save some more for a permabulit

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Im going to buy the rebuild kit, and have a local shop to do it.

Now i need some help buying a kit.

My car has full bolt ons, 3000 stall, and a 100 shot. I do drag at the track, so i believe im going to try and make it handle 450-500 hp.

Here is my first choice.. all these comes with a shift kit also.

This one is double the price of the others. Only thing i can see different is it includes Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels.
    edit378955 - TCI Pro Super Transmission Overhaul Kits

And the one that is HALF of the one above, called and rated at 450hp.
    edit[I]378950 - TCI Pro Super Transmission Overhaul Kits

And this one has a corvette servo? Same price as above..
    edit[I]378951 - TCI Pro Super Transmission Overhaul Kits

So which one is the best? And if anyone has any other kit to suggest or info, please post. Trying to order stuff ASAP since the SS is my only car.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 03-03-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: removed non-sponsor direct link

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

did you ask the shop that is going to be building it if they do any HP builds? Don't forget a beast sun shell.
    This is the company that did mine. they may be a bunch of tards when they did mine but this first link is the kit that is in the one they built for me and you can see they changed sunshells to the beast insted of the HP shell they used to use.
    This has a lot more to it and a lot of the same parts as that big TCI kit.
    edit4L60E Mega Monster Transmission Complete Rebuild Kit

there is also this one that they call the ss package.
    edit4L60E SS Mega Monster Transmission Complete Rebuild Kit

Now that I think about it you may want to check with preformabuilt, I think they sell kits like this.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 03-03-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: removed non-sponsor direct link

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

oh yea and my trans is good to 500hp and the ss trans they sell is good to 700 I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information