Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

2:73 to 3:73 switch help

I'm also doing the 2:73 to 3:73 switch,,,, someone please tell me what all do I need to purchase to do this (gears, bolt?) really new to gears here.....can anyone also post link of some good online shops with the gears and all stuff I need?......and what all will my mechanic do the my car?....like he puts in gears and reprograms? thanx!!!!!!!!!!

Pewter
    2001 Z28

you have a 2 series carrier, your gonna need a 3 series carrier or get 3.73s for 2 series carrier which would be the thick gear. I got a richmond install kit I think and it had the wrong pinion seal. I put in 3.42s and really like them 3.73s on the highway could get pretty annoying keep that in mind.

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

ok kool....3.42s.....where can I order all this and what all exactly will I need to order?
    "I'll gut you like a fish!"

black
    2002 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by MotorDogStar View Post
    ok kool....3.42s.....where can I order all this and what all exactly will I need to order?
    I would call up summit.com and tell them what you have. I also have 2.73 2 series carrier and was told by the rear end garage that my best option would to go with 3.42 gears. I been told that it will make my alot faster from a dig and would be happy with the choice of going 3.42. Also get a good set of tires ,,You'll need them after the switch. I new a guy that switched his and a lot faster out of the hole. Good luck

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

i personally enjoy running around town with my 3.73's with the A4 and a 2800 stall

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

great advice...thank you!

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Just did this same swap last weekend in the GF's car. I bought a set of Summit brand 3.73's for series 2 carrier and a basic Ratech installation kit. Doing this totally changed the way the car runs, couldn't be happier with the swap.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

SIlver
    2000 Z28 Camaro convertib

I have a 00 with a 3.23 lookoing to go to a 3.43. What do you guys do about the speedo change?

white
    2000 Z28

a computer tune will be able to clear it up if you think you need it. i honestly dont know how much of a difference it would be with that small of a jump though. as for the others if your unsure about the gear you want say your goals and somebody will be able to reply for a general answer but keep in mind, my mild may be somebody elses unstreetable and vice versa. i plan on going the track star route for my z and i firmly believe 4:10s will be a solid match with my car with an od 4speed. but i also have alot of power upgrades in my set up that im working towards.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by skew View Post
    I have a 00 with a 3.23 lookoing to go to a 3.43. What do you guys do about the speedo change?
    Not enough of a change to even bother with, you would be better off swapping in a torque convertor.

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

then I go back in forth between gear and torque convertor....which do you guys prefer?.....I'm interested in 0-60...alreaady got shift kit.....

NBM
    2002 Camaro

In your case I would suggest gears then convertor. Ive done a Yank 3600 w/ 2.73's and the high gears made the convertor feel "loose," I just didnt like the way it felt.

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

so definitely gears before convertor?.....everyone agree with this?... I like bottom end torque....I wanna just tap the petal and spin em.....set me in the right direction here, kids...

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

I'm doing a stall before i go gears and i have 2.73's in it. You'll get the hard launch and be able to spin em real easy, but when it locks up you'll still have the mileage with the lower gears. I'm going with a vig 3600 which will give plenty of power off the line, plus keep the same mileage after it locks up around 40 mph

white
    2001 b4c camaro

Angry

Well I just had 4.10 gears installed this week... had 3.23... I personally wished now after going to the track this weekend that I would have installed a converter instead. For some damn reason the car comes out hard and pulls hard through first... and then kinda levels off. I have actually slowed down 2 tenths and around 4 or 5 mph... so the stock gears are probably going back in... talk about discouraged

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

wow...that is interesting.....

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by whazuupgto View Post
    Well I just had 4.10 gears installed this week... had 3.23... I personally wished now after going to the track this weekend that I would have installed a converter instead. For some damn reason the car comes out hard and pulls hard through first... and then kinda levels off. I have actually slowed down 2 tenths and around 4 or 5 mph... so the stock gears are probably going back in... talk about discouraged
    street tires still? if so there is your problem. you need some grip. the low gearing with street tires is never a good combination. hell even stock 2:73 and 3:23 with street tires are still not good. the same thing would have happened with the converter. no improvement just wheel spin.

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

do I have to have a tune after the switch to 3.43?...is there anything else that I will need to reset?

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MotorDogStar View Post
    do I have to have a tune after the switch to 3.43?...is there anything else that I will need to reset?
    probably to optimize the shift points. but it will still be driveable as far as DD purposes go if that is all you have to drive. the tune is nice to have but not a necessity.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by whazuupgto View Post
    post 60' times 1/8mile trapped speed etc. Also if you got a tune, if the 60' is well over 2.0 you may need the driver mod-and a tune since you haven't mentioned it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information