1993 Silverado Transmission Problems

Hey guys,

I am posting this question for my brother. He has a 93 Silverado, 5.0L 305, 4L60E transmission. The transmission had to be rebuilt earlier this year. It lasted fine for a while, then it started slipping shifting into different gears, and the converter was not locking up correctly. To make a long story short, he has taken it back to the shop that rebuilt it again a couple of times, and he is still having problems. He took it in again on Monday, and they told him that the thrust bearing, and the rod bearings are wore out, and that is causing play, therefore the crankshaft is slamming into the converter causing the problems. Has anyone ever heard of this issue? Any advice/comments would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Silverado2000LS1; 10-29-2009 at 03:11 PM.

white
    01 formula

if the pump is going out all the time it could be the problem, but they shouldve caught that when it came back the second time hopefully he hasent had to pay for it every time

Quote Originally Posted by fieropope View Post
    if the pump is going out all the time it could be the problem, but they shouldve caught that when it came back the second time hopefully he hasent had to pay for it every time
    No, he hasn't had to pay for anything so far. They have replaced the pump, along with the clutches. I just read where a bad converter can cause this problem....is this true?

white
    01 formula

an unbalanced convertor might over a while wear through the pump lugs and if the fins inside the conv. break off they can get ingested into the pump and chew every thing up and contaminate the clutches. but theres many ways a pump can go out but if it happens the same more than 2 times that shop isnt a very good one to go to.

Thread Information