Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    99 SS

in your mind what is the best bolt on exhaust?

as the title states?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Tough one....Kooks or Stainless Works....I have the SW Long Tubes but have seen excellent fit and dyno/track results with Kooks lately....

Black
    99 SS

i cant even come close to affording those now, i mean like Borla, Corsa, LM. like that, i have to either buy a new LS1/2/6 or have mine totally rebuilt.

My Personal Preference is the Hooker Aerochamber, had it on my camaro and bought a car with the SLP loudmouth and had to change that over. Sound just reminds me of the old 70s muscle cars. I want to say www.ls1sounds.com is a site where you can listen to different exhausts, but I'm not positive right now

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

best for what? Looks? Price? sound? fit and finish? The question is pretty general, but frankly , I can't see why anyone would put anything other then Stainless headers on their cars. Coated or not, metal ones WILL rust sooner or later. I have the Stainless Works headers and chammbered exhaust and I think it is one of the best sounding ones for an LS1, but this is my opinion

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

No budget.
    HANDS DOWN..

GMMG Chambered exhaust. Its the most expensive, best sounding(mean muscle car) with amazing flow. Plus the install looks very clean under the car.

http://www.gmmginc.net

Kook headers w/ceramic coating.
    Stainless works headers

With a budget.
    Flowmaster and an exhaust cutout.
    Hooker headers, ceramic coated (mid-priced)
    Flowtech headers, ceramic coated (budget priced)

BlackHawk T/A
    Wouldn't the Rumbler sound about the same as the GMMG?

White
    2000 Z28

pacesetter headers, offroad y-pipe w/o cats, one bullet muffler dumped before the axle

pacesetter is the one of the better headers for the price.
    y-pipes arent that hard to make, cheap $.
    bullet mufflers are cheap $.
    and you will be taking ALOT of weight off the car
    Scott
    00 Z28: FOR SALE
    99 SS: R.I.P.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Formula hardtop

In my opinion, Borla makes the most quality exhaust system. Plus the fact that it is adjustable is awesome. I'd really love one, but I have a problem shelling out $700 for a catback.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    thats how much the GMMG costs.

SUCKIN GAS AND HAULIN A$$ LIGHTS_OUT's Avatar

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAm WS7

I have SLP Long Tubes,SLP offroad y-pipe w/o cats and Borla catback..I love my setup..

kimchi_xtreme@yahoo.com
    best hands down is anything that is custom built for your setup. No two engines are the same and therefore there is no absolute best except for custom made exhaust. You can list as many manufacturers as you want but a custom bent header/exhaust will always be best. You will need every little bit of information about the engine that the exhaust is being built for. I had custom headers made for a drag vehicle and it has paid for itself more than once. if your wondering the headers were 1500 each and each primary is the optimun length for the cylinder it serves.

no one likes the Bassani true duals? I know it is expensive as hell.....but it looks good and from everything I have heard it sounds good too......check out www.ls1sounds.com

silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Best bang/buck is just a muffler swap. They sound the same, and make the same power as catbacks, but cost 1/2 to 1/4 as much.

I went with a dynomax ultraflow muffler. Cheap, sounds great (deep, mellow, no drone or rasp, screams at WOT), and it'lll outflow pretty much any muffler out there (it's a straight through design).
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, SLP lid, Holley filter, Shaner S3 TB, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs, Edelbrock PHR. Moser 9" 4.11 gears.

**FOR SALE**: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60478

kimchi_xtreme@yahoo.com
    a muffler swap will not produce the same level of power gain as will an acutal catback exhaust. Exhaust system is "tuned" Your exhaust is actually extremely complicated and if not tuned properly you will actually lose power rather than gain. Anything you do to an engine has to be in tune or it will rob you of power. A vortech supercharged 03 mustang gt with the aftercooler(water injected) will net about 320 hp at the wheels with a bassani x-pipe catback exhaust. I know this as I have built this mustang and did the dyno tests. Just by adding a throttle body spacer I saw a loss of 30 hp and 20 ft. lb of torque. adding a bigger throttle body brought the total to 40 hp and 60 ft. lb of tq loss. An additional 10 hp and 23 ft. lb of tq was loss by adding ice into the water tank to see if dropping the intake charge temp would do anything.

Once I tuned it with my laptop I regained the lost power and then some but not anything impressive. The owner of this vehicle was not impressed at the claims he was misled by.

The way an exhaust works is almost an art form. Everytime your exhaust gasses experience a pressure drop it causes a reversion pulse that actually pulls the exhaust gasses. This happens when exhaust gasses go from you primary tube to the collector then from the exhaust pipe to muffler and finally exhaust tip to atmosphere. A poperly tuned exhaust will actually allow your engine to excavate the spent gas efficiently and almost have a supercharging effect. A properly tuned intake and exhaust can actually allow your engine to have as much as 130% volumetric efficiency. A simple "bolt-on" does not always benefit and may cause harm.

I could try to better explain exhaust theory but would rather not take the time as it is very lengthy. but if you have a specific question I will be more than happy to try and help out.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

well, I still think you should pick an exhaust combo for the sound, especially for the street. What's the point if you pick combo "x" because it makes 5 more HP, but you hate the ways it sounds all the time? You will not notice that 5hp as much as you will that sound which will always be the same. Just MHO.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I love my Corsa cat-back. With it and an SLP air-lid I gained 17hp. It looks awfully awesome, too...

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

Best hands down???

TRUE DUALS

silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kimchi_xtreme@yahoo.com
    a muffler swap will not produce the same level of power gain as will an acutal catback exhaust. Exhaust system is "tuned" Your exhaust is actually extremely complicated and if not tuned properly you will actually lose power rather than gain. Anything you do to an engine has to be in tune or it will rob you of power. A vortech supercharged 03 mustang gt with the aftercooler(water injected) will net about 320 hp at the wheels with a bassani x-pipe catback exhaust. I know this as I have built this mustang and did the dyno tests. Just by adding a throttle body spacer I saw a loss of 30 hp and 20 ft. lb of torque. adding a bigger throttle body brought the total to 40 hp and 60 ft. lb of tq loss. An additional 10 hp and 23 ft. lb of tq was loss by adding ice into the water tank to see if dropping the intake charge temp would do anything.

Once I tuned it with my laptop I regained the lost power and then some but not anything impressive. The owner of this vehicle was not impressed at the claims he was misled by.

The way an exhaust works is almost an art form. Everytime your exhaust gasses experience a pressure drop it causes a reversion pulse that actually pulls the exhaust gasses. This happens when exhaust gasses go from you primary tube to the collector then from the exhaust pipe to muffler and finally exhaust tip to atmosphere. A poperly tuned exhaust will actually allow your engine to excavate the spent gas efficiently and almost have a supercharging effect. A properly tuned intake and exhaust can actually allow your engine to have as much as 130% volumetric efficiency. A simple "bolt-on" does not always benefit and may cause harm.

I could try to better explain exhaust theory but would rather not take the time as it is very lengthy. but if you have a specific question I will be more than happy to try and help out.
    That's all fine and dandy, but the difference (dyno tested multiple times) between a full catback, and just a muffler swap, is only a couple HP, if any at all.

Now, if we were to compare a muffler swap to a full true dual exhaust..... that's a different story.

CamaroKillZ28
    I was told that you could possibly lose backpressure from true duals. Can anyone tell me otherwise, by dyno #s or back pressure tests?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information