Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

in your mind what is the best bolt on exhaust?

This is a discussion on in your mind what is the best bolt on exhaust? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Ric Best hands down??? TRUE DUALS true duals are great only if you dont plan on going ...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Best hands down???

TRUE DUALS
    true duals are great only if you dont plan on going with a turbo build. Then they are useless

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7
    true duals are great only if you dont plan on going with a turbo build. Then they are useless
    True Dules are useless on our 346ci engines, they only provide real worth buying gains if you have a big cubed motor. Otherwise you could end up with to little backpressure and actually hurt your system. If you're one of the lucky ones you'll just end up with a setup as worthy as the less expensive Y pipe route.

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    True Dules are useless on our 346ci engines, they only provide real worth buying gains if you have a big cubed motor. Otherwise you could end up with to little backpressure and actually hurt your system. If you're one of the lucky ones you'll just end up with a setup as worthy as the less expensive Y pipe route.
    Not true...if the pipe is sized correctly an X can and WILL outperform the Y.

IMO the best setup (and what will be on my car):

Pacesetter LTs -> Random Tech Cats -> X-Pipe -> Chambered pipes (such as the Sweet Thunder type) - After that you can do whatever you want

I would think 2.75" would be best for a stock engine, and a heads/cam car could benefeit from a 3" system although even 3" should be plenty for an engine with 50 more cubes.

1994 POS

I never said a Y pipe was better than an X on the stock cubed engine. I said True Duals only provide "real worth buying" gains if you have a big cubed motor. Which IS true. The gain from an X pipe on the stock engine size isn't worth the added expence of an x-pipe. you only see 6-12RWHP from it.

You are right about size if someone does go with an x-pipe though. Rule of thumb is < 500HP, 2.75" X exhaust... > 500 HP, 3" X. Anyone going with TD's should look into Basani or dumps before the axels (which IMO creates a very noisy cabin)

I want to run true duals myself, just not going to do it with my H/C setup right now

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroKillZ28
    I was told that you could possibly lose backpressure from true duals. Can anyone tell me otherwise, by dyno #s or back pressure tests?
    True Duals increase scavenging over the Y pipe and thus helps pull the exhaust out of the motor better than the Y. More HP... Just not worth the gains IMO with 346ci. A Bigger exhaust setup isn't always better

Snake Eater
    What do you all think of the Magnaflow catback? How much less performance is magnaflow compared to the top brands such as corsa, borla, etc..? Is this a good catback to run through a h/c setup?

Black
    99 SS

ok, i have decides to go with pacesetters l/t's and 3 inch duals before axel, im putting a cam in it, and rebuilding the engine and valve train, and LS6 intake.

1994 POS

Zboner, depending how agressive your cam it that will sounds pretty mean....

Snake Eater, check out www.ls1sounds.com All the exhausts your mentioned have about the same flow and HP gain, the only thing really more free flowing is SLP's loudmouth and less free flowing would be flowmaster or stock. Pick something you don't mind hearing all day as you're not going to notice the little differences between what you listed. All are worthy of a h/c setup

Snake Eater
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    Zboner, depending how agressive your cam it that will sounds pretty mean....

Snake Eater, check out www.ls1sounds.com All the exhausts your mentioned have about the same flow and HP gain, the only thing really more free flowing is SLP's loudmouth and less free flowing would be flowmaster or stock. Pick something you don't mind hearing all day as you're not going to notice the little differences between what you listed. All are worthy of a h/c setup
    Yeah thanks, i've checked out the site before. I was just asking, because I own the magnaflow and was a little curious as to how it would sound with a cam. My combo - pacesetter lt's / tsp ory / magnaflow catback

minesfaster
    I am going to be buying the CME tips and valance. I want to go true dual but as i read this thread it makes me not want to switch over to true dual. SO what you guys are pretty much saying is that if somone were to choose true duals over a y pipe with a single muffler you wouldnt see any additional gains except for maybe 5 hp or so? Why is dual echaust too much for a ls1 but not too much for a 4.6 GT ?
    is there any links or sites that i can go to to read up more about figuring out what is going to benefit my car the best for the most HP ?

Red
    99 Z28

I love my slp loudmouth

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by scott5
    I love my slp loudmouth
    mine was.. OK with my car until i got longtubes and an ORY.. now I've gone back to hooker

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by silverTA2002
    That's all fine and dandy, but the difference (dyno tested multiple times) between a full catback, and just a muffler swap, is only a couple HP, if any at all.

its been many of times tested.
    i was one of those guys long ago that just swapped a muffler and gained 7rwhp.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroKillZ28
    I was told that you could possibly lose backpressure from true duals. Can anyone tell me otherwise, by dyno #s or back pressure tests?
    losing backpressure is no big deal.
    if it was a big deal, top full race cars wouldnt be using open headers.

black

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eater
    What do you all think of the Magnaflow catback? How much less performance is magnaflow compared to the top brands such as corsa, borla, etc..? Is this a good catback to run through a h/c setup?
    all aftermarket catbacks will net you about the same power.
    i have the hooker exhaust on and really like it.

Black
    99 SS

waking up a dead thred

Red
    1998 Trans Am

heyhow much did that corsa cat back run you the double dual tips look sweet.

BBATCAR
    Quote Originally Posted by silverTA2002
    Best bang/buck is just a muffler swap. They sound the same, and make the same power as catbacks, but cost 1/2 to 1/4 as much.

I went with a dynomax ultraflow muffler. Cheap, sounds great (deep, mellow, no drone or rasp, screams at WOT), and it'lll outflow pretty much any muffler out there (it's a straight through design).

Used left over money for other mods

Quote Originally Posted by minesfaster
    Why is dual echaust too much for a ls1 but not too much for a 4.6 GT ?
    Because 4.6 Mustangs come with dual exhaust stock, our camaro's don't.

primer
    1973 Camaro

Supermaxx LT and Hooker Catback with no complaints
    '73 Plain Jane Camaro, Gen III, T56
    '02 WS6, M6
    All gone but not forgotten

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information