Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

Yet another oil pan removal question?

I need to change the oil pan gasket on my 02 B4C Camaro. I originally thought it was leaking oil from the rear engine seal. I bought a GM seal and borrowed the GM installation tool. But upon removal of the transmission and flex plate I discovered that the seal is "bone dry". The leak is actually coming from the area of the right side vertical bolt at the rear of the oil pan. I want to change the gasket. My question is; Can I remove the oil pan without removing the K member (since the transmission is already removed), by raising the engine, will I have enough clearance?

Thanks, ANDYZ28

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6 T-top

The best way is to remove the a/c compress with system still attached and raise the motor a little. The oil pump pick tube is going to interfer alot. You can also cheat a little by removing the pick up tube from the oil pump. Get several cans of brake cleaner and rags, and a little tube of rtv.

Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

OK, thanks. I am on my way down to the shop (thank goodness a friend let me use the lift in his shop over the weekend) to try and get the oil pan off. Thanks, ANDYZ28

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYZ28 View Post
    I need to change the oil pan gasket on my 02 B4C Camaro. I originally thought it was leaking oil from the rear engine seal. I bought a GM seal and borrowed the GM installation tool. But upon removal of the transmission and flex plate I discovered that the seal is "bone dry". The leak is actually coming from the area of the right side vertical bolt at the rear of the oil pan. I want to change the gasket. My question is; Can I remove the oil pan without removing the K member (since the transmission is already removed), by raising the engine, will I have enough clearance?

Thanks, ANDYZ28
    I tried the same thing...to remove the oil pan with the transmission removed without dropping the k-member or lifting the engine. Didn't work, the oil pickup sits way too deep in the baffles of the pan. Even with the pickup removed and the engine jacked up off the motor mounts I still couldn't get it.

You have to really lift the engine up or drop the k-member, thats the only way to get it.

Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

Here is what I did; I unbolted the A/C compressor and removed its' mounting bracket, removed the alternator and its' mounting bracket. Removed motor mount bolts, lower strut bolts and swat bar nuts, all K member attaching bolts. I reinstalled the rear (long) K member bolts into the front (short)attachment locations. Placed a 1 1/4" block of hardwood between the balancer and the swaybar, jacked the rear of the engine up as far as practical and ran a chain through a piece of 1 1/4" pipe, the end of the chain was secured via S hook to the subframe hole on the right side, and to the car carrier tiedown hole. I lowered the engine down to rest the cats on the pipe. The oil pan came right out with no problems (remember the transmission was removed). Even after 188,489 mile the engine still looked fairly new inside with no trace on sludge in the pan. Apparenly the Virginia State Police took pretty good care of the car. I reinstalled the pan with no problems. One thing di happen that i am not too sure what to do; when i removed the alternator I accidentally broke a VERY small wire that went to a 4way plug on the back of the alternator. Is this wire important?

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6 T-top

Talking Alt plug

I would recommend getting a AC/Delco wiring harness plug repair kit, and solder/crimp the connectors.

Blue/Grey
    2002 Camaro

I disassembled the plug, and once the terminal was removed I realised it was the same one Iused on the Allison tranmission electronics. I was able to simply install a new terminal on the end of the wire and reassemble the connector.

I have discovered another oil leak, this one is from the small 2 hole gasket directly above the oil filter. It looks like it seals some sort of block off plate/boss. I tried to explain what I was looking for to the dealership on the phone as I do not have a parts book. I guess I will need to go down there on Monday and point it out on the picture.

Thanks, ANDYZ28

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

By chance, did you take any photos you can post of the above work in progress?

Thread Information