Thread: Y-pipe X-pipe?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Y-pipe X-pipe?

I've been looking into mid pipes a little bit and am not sure whether to go with an X-pipe or a Y-pipe.

My car is a daily driver and may possibly never see any track time. It will be a bolt-on only car (plus a cam, maybe), and has some basic suspension and chassis mods right now, plus a lid and Magnaflow cat-back.

Ideally I would like to see no less than 330 rwhp, but the more the better. Also, I'm looking for more low- to mid-range torque because the most enjoyable part of a fast car (for me) is the sudden g-forces of full-throttle acceleration from low speeds.

Also, are x-pipes commonly available for the 4th Gen? I don't see too many cars with them...

Based on my goals, do I need to go for one or the other, or am I splitting hairs, here?

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

all depends people normally stay away from x pipes becuase if you do duals over the axle then you need to go with a pan hard bar relocation kit, it cost more than an ory set up. Another thing is how loud you want it, x pipe with duals are gonnna be pretty loud depending on your choice of muffler. Duals done right will be about 10 more hp or so more than a y pipe. If roads are bad around your area then a y pipe will be more in your favor unless you can get an extremely good shop to get you great ground clearance but then it will cost quite a bit.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Ah, I see.

Ground clearance does concern me, since I don't want to have to worry every time I see a dip or speed bump. I was thinking there must be a reason why Y-pipes were so much more common.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

yea it just kind of a hassle to do x pipe more things to go around. I just did x pipe on mine got pretty good clearance but i think its worth it, sounds great pulls hard.

Black
    '98 Z28

I think more people do a y-pipe setup because of cost. You can get LTs with off road y-pipe for $400 and a magnaflow catback for $350. Full exhaust done for $750. The cheapest x-pipe system done out the back, not including LTs, is like $1000 for a prefabbed setup. Then again, you might be able to find a local shop do over the axle for $400 to $500 including the cost of the mufflers.
    Last edited by tpilews; 03-10-2011 at 07:55 AM.

It comes down to whether you want a dual exhaust or not.

If all you are looking for is mild bolt ons and 330 rwhp I'd just stick with a Y-pipe and a decent 3" catback will get the job done fine.

If you want to push the envelope with more power, and ground clearance is still an issue for you or dual exhaust is out of the question, you can always step up the single catback with a 3 1/2" or 4" system that still tucks up under the car like the stock stuff does.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

my whole set up including long tubes x pipe and 2 magnaflow bullets and phb with labor from the exhaust shop came to a total of 970$ damn good deal this was also his first time to do duals on an f body. there is a significant price difference though if you get it done by a shop that your a first time customer at and want them them to build u up from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    my whole set up including long tubes x pipe and 2 magnaflow bullets and phb with labor from the exhaust shop came to a total of 970$ damn good deal this was also his first time to do duals on an f body. there is a significant price difference though if you get it done by a shop that your a first time customer at and want them them to build u up from scratch.
    Ouch, you could have bought a Bassani cheaper than that, and had mandrel bends to boot.

Oh I see you are figuring your headers in with it.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It comes down to whether you want a dual exhaust or not.

If all you are looking for is mild bolt ons and 330 rwhp I'd just stick with a Y-pipe and a decent 3" catback will get the job done fine.

If you want to push the envelope with more power, and ground clearance is still an issue for you or dual exhaust is out of the question, you can always step up the single catback with a 3 1/2" or 4" system that still tucks up under the car like the stock stuff does.
    3 1/2" cat-back? So, from a larger bore exhaust I can get similar power to a headers/y-pipe set up, without shelling out the dough for the headers and pipe?

Or are you saying that I can use a headers/y-pipe AND bigger exhaust to match the output of the x-pipe with 3" exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    You can get LTs with off road y-pipe for $400 and a magnaflow catback for $350. Full exhaust done for $750.
    I have a Magnaflow cat-back on there right now. I found some BBK LT 1 3/4" plus y-pipe for $500 online. Good deal?
    Last edited by Naaman; 03-10-2011 at 08:10 AM.

You can go as big as a 4" single catback if you wish. Mufflex sells them in your choice of mufflers.
    It bolts in like the stock catbacks do, so there are no ground clearance issues. I've seen them on 4th gens running in the 9's. We used it and picked up 3 tenths on an 11 second 4th gen over the 3" catbacks.

Does it perform as well or better than a real dual system?? Hard to say, never got a chance to try it on this car. At that time only Bassani was making a system and the owner didn't want to spend the money. I'd be willing to bet the performance should have been very close.

You can do true dual exhaust setups with an X-pipe, all the way out the back without ground clearance issues as well, either in kit form from Bassani or Kooks, or have it all custom made.

The cheapest route is dumping it in front of the rearend, but that causes issues like interior noise and ground clearance.

In your case, with ~330 rwhp as a goal I don't think any of it is necessary. A decent 3" catback will do the job for you.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    3 1/2" cat-back? So, from a larger bore exhaust I can get similar power to a headers/y-pipe set up, without shelling out the dough for the headers and pipe?

Or are you saying that I can use a headers/y-pipe AND bigger exhaust to match the output of the x-pipe with 3" exhaust?

I have a Magnaflow cat-back on there right now. I found some BBK LT 1 3/4" plus y-pipe for $500 online. Good deal?
    Yeah, the BBK's are what I'm looking at right now as well. I think I may go with the chrome ones for $399 shipped.

Make sure you take a look at changing your plugs and wires at the time you're doing headers. I'm also going to be doing the motor mounts and transmission mount while I'm at it. You will also need either O2 extensions or new O2s for a Corvette, because they have the added length you need for LTs.
    Last edited by tpilews; 03-10-2011 at 09:04 AM.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ouch, you could have bought a Bassani cheaper than that, and had mandrel bends to boot.

Oh I see you are figuring your headers in with it.
    yea, i feel like i got a good deal, total of 7 hours working on it from header back and he charged me 215$

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

On both my cars i have true duals with x-pipe running into glasspacks. The overall sound of the cars is by far better then any other that runs around were i live. shope that did mine for labor, mufflers, pipe, and x-pipe was $250. my suggestion is to keep it at the axle especially if you have an adj PH and LCAs. makes things alot easier.

Thread Information