Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Y pipe with stock manifolds

This is a discussion on Y pipe with stock manifolds within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I heard of people running these setup. How did you do it? Do I just take it to a muffler ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Y pipe with stock manifolds

    I heard of people running these setup. How did you do it? Do I just take it to a muffler shop and have them fabrcate one? Do I need a tune after its done? Will it make the car louder? Will I get the raspy sound? I have borla exhaust, with stock Y pipe and manifolds. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member tpilews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    918

    Black
    '98 Z28

    waste of money

  3. #3
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    I don't see that there would be any sort of hp gain.

    Yes it may change the sound/tone..

    No you don't need a tune if you do deside to have one made up..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    i'm not doing this with my vehicle. I know it doesn't give any gain in HP. i just keep hearing and meeting people that delete their cats with stock setup so I was wondering why people do it besides not having to buy new cats.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    i think its stupid. Waste of time and money. I personally would get high flow cats to rid the nasty gas smell and take the rasp down a bit even though i kinda like it. But i dont see it getting much louder at all. When i traded my stock y pipe for an off road y pipe i noticed more rasp at 2k THATS IT! Other than that was basically the same.. I think the LOUDness comes from the headers and the catback just changes the tone of the loudness...

  6. #6
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    i think its stupid. Waste of time and money. I personally would get high flow cats to rid the nasty gas smell and take the rasp down a bit even though i kinda like it. But i dont see it getting much louder at all. When i traded my stock y pipe for an off road y pipe i noticed more rasp at 2k THATS IT! Other than that was basically the same.. I think the LOUDness comes from the headers and the catback just changes the tone of the loudness...
    yup thats my opinion as well. I think people think of it as a cheap way to make it louder but is not really doing that much.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    It seems like every fbody guy i meet around here isnt even a third as knowledgable as anyone on these forums. Thats why i come here lol

  8. #8
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    It seems like every fbody guy i meet around here isnt even a third as knowledgable as anyone on these forums. Thats why i come here lol
    Lol I agree

  9. #9
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I'm not a fan of cats so I experimented with this stuff on my 2002 SS. Ultimately I knew I was going to do long tube headers and an off road Ypipe so I wanted to try a few things first.

    I first gutted a pair of cats and went to the track, I really didn't find much in the performance department. The problem with gutting cats is leaving that huge empty can in there, creates turbulance. The car did sound better however.

    Next I tried an off road Y made by SLP that bolts to the stock exhaust manifolds. Basically this gets rid of the driver side flat pipe and rids the cats as well. This didn't garner any improvement for me either.

    So I sprung for long tubes and a matching 3" off road Y pipe. This gave me about 1/10th reduction in ET and about 1 mph gain, even after tuning.

    So yes, in a nutshell the other little tricks were a waste of time on my particular car. Even the long tube headers and 3" diameter Y didn't transform my car all that much.

  10. #10
    Junior Member whitetrashbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    65

    Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm not a fan of cats so I experimented with this stuff on my 2002 SS. Ultimately I knew I was going to do long tube headers and an off road Ypipe so I wanted to try a few things first.

    I first gutted a pair of cats and went to the track, I really didn't find much in the performance department. The problem with gutting cats is leaving that huge empty can in there, creates turbulance. The car did sound better however.

    Next I tried an off road Y made by SLP that bolts to the stock exhaust manifolds. Basically this gets rid of the driver side flat pipe and rids the cats as well. This didn't garner any improvement for me either.

    So I sprung for long tubes and a matching 3" off road Y pipe. This gave me about 1/10th reduction in ET and about 1 mph gain, even after tuning.

    So yes, in a nutshell the other little tricks were a waste of time on my particular car. Even the long tube headers and 3" diameter Y didn't transform my car all that much.
    Man, thanks for posting such a great run down as there's nothing like actual track results to tell it. You just saved me from wasting money.

    Dan

    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty"....Thomas Jefferson

  11. #11
    Member My00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, MI/Lima, OH
    Age
    26
    Posts
    822

    Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    yup thats my opinion as well. I think people think of it as a cheap way to make it louder but is not really doing that much.
    i wouldn't say people are cheap... i had a 94 trans am that had a plugged cat instead of paying $100+ for a new cat plus have it installed i just paid $30 for it to be cut out and replaced with a pipe it sounded good to me but just a little too raspy... sometimes its not people being cheap its people not having the money!!!!

  12. #12
    The red dragon bpopham22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San antonio Tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    302

    red
    2001 pontiac WS6

    Yup its a waste I've got high flow cats going to a borla 2.5 inch y pipe to my 3 inch cat back till my headers go on nxt week....yay 3 inch y pipe

  13. #13
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm not a fan of cats so I experimented with this stuff on my 2002 SS. Ultimately I knew I was going to do long tube headers and an off road Ypipe so I wanted to try a few things first.

    I first gutted a pair of cats and went to the track, I really didn't find much in the performance department. The problem with gutting cats is leaving that huge empty can in there, creates turbulance. The car did sound better however.

    Next I tried an off road Y made by SLP that bolts to the stock exhaust manifolds. Basically this gets rid of the driver side flat pipe and rids the cats as well. This didn't garner any improvement for me either.

    So I sprung for long tubes and a matching 3" off road Y pipe. This gave me about 1/10th reduction in ET and about 1 mph gain, even after tuning.

    So yes, in a nutshell the other little tricks were a waste of time on my particular car. Even the long tube headers and 3" diameter Y didn't transform my car all that much.
    you made me change my mind about getting headers now.

    Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    i wouldn't say people are cheap... i had a 94 trans am that had a plugged cat instead of paying $100+ for a new cat plus have it installed i just paid $30 for it to be cut out and replaced with a pipe it sounded good to me but just a little too raspy... sometimes its not people being cheap its people not having the money!!!!
    I'm not trying to offend nobody, I'm trying to hear different opinions on this kinda of setup. I consider myself as going the cheap route as long as it gets the job done and is reliable. We have to be realistic all this performance parts are not cheap. That's why i had been holding on getting $500+ headers vs more affordable ones ($170) that members that have them only tell me great things about them.

    I'm all for a person that wants to save money. I did all my engine dress up myself because I don't want to pay all the money on the parts that are already made.

    In end if you are happy with the outcome that's what really matters.

    I appreciate all your opinions and I respect them.

  14. #14
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    Yup its a waste I've got high flow cats going to a borla 2.5 inch y pipe to my 3 inch cat back till my headers go on nxt week....yay 3 inch y pipe
    Nice I got borla as well. How do you like it?

  15. #15
    The red dragon bpopham22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San antonio Tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    302

    red
    2001 pontiac WS6

    Oh I love my borla exhaust,I can't wait till I get my headers on to hear how mean it sounds

  16. #16
    Member My00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, MI/Lima, OH
    Age
    26
    Posts
    822

    Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    you made me change my mind about getting headers now.
    headers will help u with hp and they sound great.... they will also set u up for future mods as heads, cam, intake, Supercharger, turbo, and plain built engines... u can only get as much air in as u can get exhaust out!

  17. #17
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    headers will help u with hp and they sound great.... they will also set u up for future mods as heads, cam, intake, Supercharger, turbo, and plain built engines... u can only get as much air in as u can get exhaust out!
    yeah but it my DD so I might just do headers and a stall. If i make a garage car one day then I'll play with it.

  18. #18
    Member My00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, MI/Lima, OH
    Age
    26
    Posts
    822

    Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    yeah but it my DD so I might just do headers and a stall. If i make a garage car one day then I'll play with it.
    i know what u mean im doing headers at the end of the month my next things to do will be cam and stall!!!

  19. #19
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    i know what u mean im doing headers at the end of the month my next things to do will be cam and stall!!!
    which stall are you going for? I'm thinking 3200.

  20. #20
    Member My00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Holland, MI/Lima, OH
    Age
    26
    Posts
    822

    Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    which stall are you going for? I'm thinking 3200.
    haha iv been thinking the same... everyone says 3500+ but that seems so high for a mostly DD ill be more than happy with a 3200!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale: stock 2002 ws6 manifolds, cats, and Y-pipe $250
    By Kaotic_ws6 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 10:23 PM
  2. Stock exh man, 2 LS1 manifolds, Y-pipe
    By pewterzron in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 04:54 PM
  3. Off Road Y-Pipe for stock exhaust manifolds?
    By F&Ybodlover in forum External Engine
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 03:52 PM
  4. Y-Pipe on stock manifolds
    By 94rt10ohio in forum External Engine
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 08:40 AM
  5. Need off-road y-pipe for ws6 stock manifolds
    By 00SilverTAWS6 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 04:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •