y-pipe hitting trans cross member

This is a discussion on y-pipe hitting trans cross member within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok so hopefully this is the last post for this header install. Everythnig went in smoothly and the only issue ...

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Question y-pipe hitting trans cross member

Ok so hopefully this is the last post for this header install. Everythnig went in smoothly and the only issue I have now is the OBX y-pipe is not clearing the trans cross member by maybe an inch? I have tried to wiggle everything around, but nothing seems to work. It is the 2 loops on the back of the trans member and it is an M6. The exhaust pipe and y pipe need to come up a little and I am wondering if I should cut that part of the trans member off for clearance. I am not sure what the purpose of the loops on the back of the trans member so I am not sure if I will regret cutting this portion off. I think it will help me tuck the y pipe up a bit. Any suggestions or similar problems?

lso there is nothing supporting the y-pipe. Is this a problem? I this there is a exhaust clamp that will mount under the drivers side but if this isn't necessary I don't want tobother. Thanks!

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    Ok so hopefully this is the last post for this header install. Everythnig went in smoothly and the only issue I have now is the OBX y-pipe is not clearing the trans cross member by maybe an inch? I have tried to wiggle everything around, but nothing seems to work. It is the 2 loops on the back of the trans member and it is an M6. The exhaust pipe and y pipe need to come up a little and I am wondering if I should cut that part of the trans member off for clearance. I am not sure what the purpose of the loops on the back of the trans member so I am not sure if I will regret cutting this portion off. I think it will help me tuck the y pipe up a bit. Any suggestions or similar problems?

lso there is nothing supporting the y-pipe. Is this a problem? I this there is a exhaust clamp that will mount under the drivers side but if this isn't necessary I don't want tobother. Thanks!
    Any way to bend it into shape....with a hammer? Lol...I wouldn't go cuttin on a cross member tho
    Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    john, think of the ls1 as the chuck norris of all engines....there isnt a bearing on earth that can stand up to its huge cock of a rotating assembly....its just that bad ass....besides..even with my engine out, i can still smoke your ford....
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/v8mike/tpb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    Yes...this engine wanted to take a break from kickin ass so that it can pursue a career in acting..but will soon realize that no one will hire it due to it being so bad ass, and thats a liabiliity....

Thread Information