Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

y-pipe that doesn't hit floorpan

This is a discussion on y-pipe that doesn't hit floorpan within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The difference between red and black poly mounts is graphite. The black ones have it and the red ones don't. ...

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

The difference between red and black poly mounts is graphite. The black ones have it and the red ones don't. When people complain about squeaky poly mounts, it's usually the red ones.

red
    99 camaro

damn, glad I didnt get the red ones then. Id be pissed with squeaky mounts, its a lot of work to change em out over some damn squeaking...

red
    99 camaro

bberetta, say, I work in memphis and was wondering where all the good racing has gone since the park closed... That sucks...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Lm performance has the poly mounts and they are a site sponsor.probably would be a good idea to do the poly trans mount too?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Bright Red

From my understanding, trans mount isn't as neccesary. In fact, some keep with the rubber mount to lessen the vibration that's transferred. The poly mounts were one of the most difficult mods I've done on this car but were well worth it.

JRENIGAR- the "legal" racing is gone- I think we have to drive down into Mississippi to find a decent track. Of course, I think there still might be some illegal racing going on, but I haven't been out there in 15 years...

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    From my understanding, trans mount isn't as neccesary. In fact, some keep with the rubber mount to lessen the vibration that's transferred. The poly mounts were one of the most difficult mods I've done on this car but were well worth it.

JRENIGAR- the "legal" racing is gone- I think we have to drive down into Mississippi to find a decent track. Of course, I think there still might be some illegal racing going on, but I haven't been out there in 15 years...
    Rivergate??? I havent been there in years either, but given the altenative, Id bet its full every night...

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    Rivergate??? I havent been there in years either, but given the altenative, Id bet its full every night...
    It was full before they closed Memphis Motorsports Park. Now that there's no Test 'n Tune on Thursday nights, I wouldn't doubt they've all moved out on the streets instead of the track.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

I have the Texas Speed ORY and the poly mounts (engine). No banging here. Mounts are a bitch though..

When I was researching this most peeople agreed the poly trans mount wasn't neccessary. In fact some of them hated it for the vibrations it introduced.

I don't have a poly trans mount so I can really say.

Don
    Last edited by donman; 08-09-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    2002 CETA - ASC# 0008 - 9-7-2001 | Pacesetter LT| TSP ORY| Magnaflow CB | Poly M-Mounts | ASA Cam | 3600 stall | Tuned By Frost <mail order>

I've gone without the engine poly mounts on both of our 4th gens. I also run Pacesetter headers and off road Y on both cars.

I didn't like the merge on the pacesetter Y. So while I had the driver side pipe cut I changed the angle for more floor clearance, and opened the merge to match the pipe diameters.

I haven't had any banging from either car with stock engine mounts.

I do however run the poly tranny mount. Got tired of ripping the stock rubber mounts in half. The trick to running them without vibration is to shave 1/8" of thickness from the mount, and don't run the 1/8" thick spacer it comes with either. That puts the transmission back to it's original ride height and keeps pinion angles correct. Because if you take measurements before and after, you'll find the poly mount with the spacer raises the tailshaft of the tranny up 1/4", and that's where the vibrations come from.

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    Will the bbk 2.5 y fit the pacesetter collectors slip on design or will some fabrication be required to make it work?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    No, there would be fabrication involved to make that work. In my opinion, not a good idea.
    It's best (in general on any car) to keep the head pipe diameters the same size as your collector diameters, or larger.

Going from a 3 inch collector to a 2 1/2" Y pipe section, and then necking that down to a single 3 inch pipe that has even less cross section is just creating a bottle neck. I would prefer to not make the bottle neck so soon in the system

3 Inch Y's are a tight fit when you consider you have very little ground clearance to work with. Which is why GM installed those little 2 1/4" Y's and had the driver side pipe flat.

Like I mentioned in my post above, the pacesetter Y's can be made to work with a little cutting/bending/rewelding of the pipe. Otherwise I'd lean towards a 3 inch texas speed Y-pipe,,,or the 3 inch Y-pipe made by LSPerformance. The LSPerformance Y-pipe looks to be a nice piece from the pics I've seen, with a nice mandrel bend around the trouble spot on the driver side,,,unlike other companies that like to smash a flat spot on the pipe I'm going to give them a try, they have a better merge setup than these pacesetters.

Bright Red

I've ordered the pipes to convert my LSXtreme catted Y to an ORY- that way I can go back and forth "as needed." I love the LSX Y- great quality and Justin is a great guy to do business with.

And that's a great idea about shaving the mount down. I hadn't even noticed the difference in size- probably b/c when I took my stock off it came off in three pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    I've ordered the pipes to convert my LSXtreme catted Y to an ORY- that way I can go back and forth "as needed." I love the LSX Y- great quality and Justin is a great guy to do business with.

And that's a great idea about shaving the mount down. I hadn't even noticed the difference in size- probably b/c when I took my stock off it came off in three pieces!
    Ooops, I had the name wrong. I meant LSXtreme. That's the one I'm trying next.
    If anyone is desperate for a pair of Pacesetter Y's, I'll be selling those. They both have a bung welded for a wideband too.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

02 ta, i had the same problem, changed the trans mount only so far(engine mounts are in garage w lt's, waiting) and that immediately solved my problem.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Please don't post direct links to non sponsors.

red
    99 camaro

uh oww...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Saw that coming too!
    Posted via Mobile Device

black
    1999 camaro SS

after I put in the poly trans mount I adjusted the TA to reset the pinnion angle. the poly mount didn't make it off that much and it wasn't hard to fix.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i didnt read all of it but its your mounts you need to get the pollys in and it should stop. my car only has 14k on it and my headers hit the k-member but after i put my mounts in it stoped. also i have the texas speed y on my car and it fits nice it has a bend or two that most others dont have that help it clear. but i think the pollys will fix your issue. get with ky speed and see if he can get you the mounts. i got mine at the ws6 store and it came with the trans mount to but if ky can get them then he will beat the price im sure. he has on all the parts i get form them.
    Last edited by 0verkill; 08-14-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    after I put in the poly trans mount I adjusted the TA to reset the pinnion angle. the poly mount didn't make it off that much and it wasn't hard to fix.

How does one actually change the pinion angle?

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE View Post
    How does one actually change the pinion angle?
    You would need to install an adjustable torque arm to do that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information