Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

y-pipe that doesn't hit floorpan

does anyone sell a freakin y-pipe that doesn't hit the damn floor board.i have a pacesetter y pipe that has a mufflex bumpstop,and has been tweaked by my exhaust shop(by tweaked i mean the pipe has been beat down and the floor board has been clearenced with a hammer) but it still hits,in a different spot i think,the motor mounts are good,i put the car in drive and powerbraked it while looking at the engine bay,engine didn't move like it would have if a mount has failed.i could get the pipe crushed down in the other place it's hitting,or have the section of pipe with the tight clearance replaced with a section of 2.5 inch pipe but i don't want to lose any performance,but will if that's the only option.i am really sick of getting on the throttle and hearing a jackhammer beating the bottom of my car under the driver seat.thanks guys!!!!
    2007 Corvette...stock...

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Do you have poly motor mounts?

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I have the bbk system on my car and it uses a 2.5 y pipe no difference in performance over my buddies 3" setup on his old 6spd. If the pipes are goin to merge into a single 3" exhaust anyway whats the point in using the same size on both sides of the motor.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Stock mounts,going to get new poly mounts when I put the crate motor in next summer along with a tubular k member.
    Will the bbk 2.5 y fit the pacesetter collectors slip on design or will some fabrication be required to make it work?
    Posted via Mobile Device

navy blue metalic
    2001 camaro ss

my pacesetter fits perfect just put it on fri. bout 1/4 in clearence and with the poly mounts no bangin and i had it to the track sat. so i've run her hard.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Good,but that doesn't happen much,ihave read many threads about the pacesetter y having clearance issues.
    Posted via Mobile Device

SOM
    2002 SS

There is a VERY easy solution for this. I messed around with the mufflex hangar and eventually used these parts:

Header wrap
    3" steel band clamp x2
    Rubber Muffler hangar (any general one from autozone will do)

Ill put a pic up of what i did with the mufflex although when I redid it with the above parts it was way more professional looking and worked 100%

Wrap the pipe with header wrap. SLide the band clamps (I used 2 because I couldnt find 1 thick one) through the rubber hangar and wedge it between the pipe and the floor where it is closest. tighten the band clamp.

Most rubber muffler hangers (if thats what they are called) allow flex in the middle and stretch. this is perfect because as the exhaust moves closer and away from the floor it will stay in place absorbing all vibrations and killing ALL noise under the car.

Here was the post I made earlier about it. You can make out the general idea of what Im talking about. The second time when I redid it I used band clamps instead of the exhaust clamp in the picture. The band clamps are better because you can open them and slide them through the rubber without having to cut the rubber (which I did to fit the exhaust clamp through) and prevents it from wanting to deform easier.

Hope that helps ! In all, the parts cost was around $10 at the parts store. Maybe I should make a sticky for it.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136853

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Kooks catted Y, stock mounts with 74,000 miles, and I am bang free. Granted, I did work on the pipe alignment quite a bit during installation. I was concerned about clearance under the driver side body brace and found that by rotating the entire Y assembly (there is a slip joint on the driver side of the Y) that I gained an extra bit of clearance. I also put a little down pressure on the exhaust joint over the rear axle to pull the system away from the underbody.

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

Running the Kooks y-pipe as well but I've got Kooks headers so it seemed like the logical choice at the time. I don't have any banging issues but like pajeff02 I worked on the adjustment when I installed it.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Heard the texas speed y doesn't hit,anyone running one?
    Posted via Mobile Device

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

I'm running hooker headers. I used a hooker ORY and had no banging issues. I'm now running a TSP ORY because of the better merge. I have no banging issues. If you look on there website the picture for the ORY is outdated and has the old style merge. All the new ORY's are shipping with the better merge as pictured on the catted Y page.

The TSP ORY does hang a little lower than my Hooker ORY and it was a bit frustrating getting all the pieces aligned perfectly to get the ORY fitted nicely. Overall I'm happy with it.

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant LS1 View Post
    I'm running hooker headers. I used a hooker ORY and had no banging issues. I'm now running a TSP ORY because of the better merge. I have no banging issues. If you look on there website the picture for the ORY is outdated and has the old style merge. All the new ORY's are shipping with the better merge as pictured on the catted Y page.

The TSP ORY does hang a little lower than my Hooker ORY and it was a bit frustrating getting all the pieces aligned perfectly to get the ORY fitted nicely. Overall I'm happy with it.
    ^^^ this. I had the same headers and y pipe without any banging but I did have poly motor mounts. It still had some rasp with a hooker aero chamber muffler so I sust converted the y pipe to true 3in duals with an x pipe and dynomax 18 in bullets. G-dang its loud....

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I think I will get the poly mounts,I called texas speed and they said the mounts were probably worn out.I have a lot of respect for a company that will tell the truth instead of just trying to sell you something!
    Posted via Mobile Device

red
    99 camaro

Good luck with the mounts... Its gonna be hell but worth it in the end...

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Yeah, those mounts still make me cringe but they'll fix your banging pipe issue. My pipe was a CLOSE fit and still didn't hit with the poly mounts.

red
    99 camaro

Ill go ahead and just say it; anyone with stock mounts that are bad and thinking of changing them, just for once do as your told and put the poly mounts on. You will love them, period!!! I promise...

2002 Camaro

Where's the best place to buy the poly motor mounts?

red
    99 camaro

Jegs or summitt is where I got mine. Seems like they were 70-75 to the door.

red
    99 camaro

I got the black ones not the red, although I dont know the diff I just thought black would look better after they get dirty, ya know, wouldnt be as noticeable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information