Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Y-pipe bang help

This is a discussion on Y-pipe bang help within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; the more i think about it,i really don't want to use a coke can as a auto part.i will go ...

  1. #21
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    the more i think about it,i really don't want to use a coke can as a auto part.i will go by the exhaust shop i use in couple weeks.

  2. #22
    Member jeffsWS-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Winchester,CA
    Posts
    195

    BLACK
    2001 WS-6

    i installed the bump stop and got more vibration then before. sounds like its a 50/50 if it will work for people.

  3. #23
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    i may not have perfectly installed mine, so i would hesitate to say it is a bad part or that someone should not buy one.

  4. #24
    402 Guru 402 Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    261

    Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsWS-6 View Post
    i installed the bump stop and got more vibration then before. sounds like its a 50/50 if it will work for people.
    yes same problem i had when i got a bump stop they are worthless. if u want to get it right the first time go to an auto part store get a metal zip tie depending the diameter of your exhaust and buy a battery mount. They are polyurethane and theres a nifty hole in the middle that threads the metal zip tie perfect use a pry bar pull the exhaust y pipe up. Place the battery mount under attach the zip tie and there go all of your problems/vibrations gone and no more clang! clang! clang! The coke can is just if u don't have any money to buy a battery mount . Its the same battery mount that comes stock on are cars check the battery mount to see what it looks like . I got the idea from when i was running 10.5's( back when i had my drag only set up that is).My y pipe kept slamming on my floor boards so bad i thought i was losing a piston so after some hours under the car i devised a simple and cheap custom Bump stop
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-14-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #25
    Carless blkSS98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eastsound, WA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    410
    402, Can we get a picture? After installed.

  6. #26
    402 Guru 402 Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    261

    Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

    Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    402, Can we get a picture? After installed.
    Sure im all dressed in my church clothes so tomorrow when i get a chance i'll take a picture on my cell phone and post it up

  7. #27
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dunedin, Florida
    Posts
    36

    pewter
    2002 Z28

    Hi guys..........My exhaust guy installed the Mufflex bump stop on my SLP y pipe a couple years ago. Works fine........no major banging like before install.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    My exhaust was banging alot. the y was close and the exhaust shoppe did heat and bend it a little. the design of the 4th gen is pathetic for a dual exhaust and is one reason why I dont think ill ever love my Camaro.

    I purchased that hangar but realized that my original pipe from the cat is 2" or so and the Y was installed further back from where it needs to be installed. I used header wrap around the pipe and installed the clamp. It works absolutely beautiful. Any of you who claim this part is garbage are seriously retarded. it works as intended and for $40 its quite a deal. My vibration was eliminated 95% only slightly on a rough surface would I feel anything at WOT in first.

    The downsides of installing it are that it forces the pipe to hang low. since my car is lowered I did just get over a speed bump last weekend i didnt notice and it slammed my exhaust pipe. it smushed the hangar backwards so I need to re-bend the thing. On the bright side the exhaust was hot so when it hit the speed bump I think it bent the top of the pipe against the floor some more so now there is no vibration at all . Go figure. I planned to have my exhaust guy fix it but I'm waiting on a seller to hook me up with stainless headers and new Y with cats so I'm just not bothering with it.

    I wish there was a headers with 2.5 inch collectors and 2.5 inch Y. unless you are over 700 hp 3" is just overkill.

  9. #29
    402 Guru 402 Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    261

    Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    My exhaust was banging alot. the y was close and the exhaust shoppe did heat and bend it a little. the design of the 4th gen is pathetic for a dual exhaust and is one reason why I dont think ill ever love my Camaro.

    I purchased that hangar but realized that my original pipe from the cat is 2" or so and the Y was installed further back from where it needs to be installed. I used header wrap around the pipe and installed the clamp. It works absolutely beautiful. Any of you who claim this part is garbage are seriously retarded. it works as intended and for $40 its quite a deal. My vibration was eliminated 95% only slightly on a rough surface would I feel anything at WOT in first.

    The downsides of installing it are that it forces the pipe to hang low. since my car is lowered I did just get over a speed bump last weekend i didnt notice and it slammed my exhaust pipe. it smushed the hangar backwards so I need to re-bend the thing. On the bright side the exhaust was hot so when it hit the speed bump I think it bent the top of the pipe against the floor some more so now there is no vibration at all . Go figure. I planned to have my exhaust guy fix it but I'm waiting on a seller to hook me up with stainless headers and new Y with cats so I'm just not bothering with it.

    I wish there was a headers with 2.5 inch collectors and 2.5 inch Y. unless you are over 700 hp 3" is just overkill.
    yeah how about 4 and a half inch dual ehaust lol ? that is what i have and with most exhausts you can put a polyurethane mount on there with a metal zip tie and its fine but mine is so big that even a zip tie won't fit around it but im upoading a pic for you guys . So you can see what it looks like.i've had mine on there for 2 years and its not moved a bit it was hard to take a pic but i got 1 just for ls1.com

  10. #30
    402 Guru 402 Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    261

    Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    the more i think about it,i really don't want to use a coke can as a auto part.i will go by the exhaust shop i use in couple weeks.
    Then don't use a coke can use what i did a polyurethane battery mount

    with an exhaust that is max 3 and a half inches you can put a metal zip tie in the whole of the mount.I was not able to use a metal zip tie due to the size of my exhaust.This modification has been there snug for 2 years with zero vibrations and zero noise. this is for sure sticky worthy
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-14-2009 at 03:52 PM.

  11. #31
    Awaiting Activation jsremmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tyler,Texas
    Posts
    116

    Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post

    I wish there was a headers with 2.5 inch collectors and 2.5 inch Y. unless you are over 700 hp 3" is just overkill.
    It is absolutly possible to have 2.5 collectors and y pipe. That is a great idea for guys that are slammed on the ground LOL

  12. #32
    Awaiting Activation lovedrvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    west kentucky
    Age
    52
    Posts
    92

    white
    1999 z28

    or ya can just install the bbk headers and the poly motor mounts and be good to go.
    i know the poly mounts are a pain(i did mine on my back under car)but if your going to do headers,do the mounts !!!

  13. #33
    Junior Member Mumbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North English, IA
    Posts
    12

    Black
    1999 Firebird Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by lovedrvr View Post
    or ya can just install the bbk headers and the poly motor mounts and be good to go.
    i know the poly mounts are a pain(i did mine on my back under car)but if your going to do headers,do the mounts !!!
    You guys who are talking about the correct way to solve the problem of a banging Y-pipe, there is your answer.

    When you install Longtube Headers, you really should take the time to upgrade your motor mounts to either Polys or Solids.

    Yes, they are a PITA to install, but this is the proper way to ensure the torque flex of the motor won't allow the exhaust to bang on the floor pan.

    Any other method is simply a remedy.

    1999 Firebird Formula
    M6 Hurst-Billet Short-Throw|SLP Airlid, Smooth Bellows, Polished TB, & LS6 Intake|Jet Hot LTs, Catted Y-Pipe, & SLP Loudmouth|SLP Subframe Connectors
    Spohn Adj. Torque Arm & LCAs

  14. #34
    Junior Member stormy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
    Posts
    53

    Arctic White
    99 SS m6

    Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    the more i think about it,i really don't want to use a coke can as a auto part.i will go by the exhaust shop i use in couple weeks.
    LOL, thats funny! i am not advocating but a tidbit: manufactures used to use what looked like coffe cans as vacuum cans, so a coke can isnt too far from that and.... i have used a dr. pepper can as an overflow bottle at the track

  15. #35
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by stormy69 View Post
    LOL, thats funny! i am not advocating but a tidbit: manufactures used to use what looked like coffe cans as vacuum cans, so a coke can isnt too far from that and.... i have used a dr. pepper can as an overflow bottle at the track
    Ya depending on how far back you go, manufactures used to use glass jars for washer bottles.
    It wasn't that long ago that the large steel cans were used for vacuum assisted headlights.

    I've also used the 12 oz cans for overflow at the track on cars that never came equipped from the factory with an overflow. Some tracks (depending on the tech inspector) frown on that now.

  16. #36
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    went by my exhaust shop 2 weeks ago and they modified the y pipe and the bang is gone! I will get some poly engine mounts when I do the engine swap. They charged me 80 bucks but what the hell at least it doesn't bang anymore
    Posted via Mobile Device

  17. #37
    Junior Member sharber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hixson,TN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    16

    Red/Black
    1998 Z28 T-top 6spd

    help

    Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    Yeah you take a pry bar and lift the y pipe 1-2 inches, then slip a metal zip tie under it in 1 motion. Then put the crushed coke can Under the y pipe where it is a single piece. (If you dont have a polyurethane battery mount step on a coke can and crush it it works the same) let go of the exhaust then tighten up the zip tie and your banging is gone. Cheap fix that costed you nothing If you have bags of money just sitting around, go buy a chrome battery mount which is a pain to install ,my modification is simple and so easy my sister could do it
    i dont quite understand. whats the zip tie around other than the pipe. and does can get crushed vertically or horizontally. where does can go? between zip tie and pipe. on top of pipe or below pipe? im having quite a bit of confusion with this.

  18. #38
    Junior Member artie634u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Western Oregon
    Posts
    39

    Indigo Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    Does a y-pipe add much power?

  19. #39
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by artie634u View Post
    Does a y-pipe add much power?
    I assume you mean an off road y pipe connected to stock manifolds? No, not really. Everyone changes the y pipe when they get long tube headers cause, you have to.

  20. #40
    rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arlington,Texas
    Age
    26
    Posts
    815

    Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by artie634u View Post
    Does a y-pipe add much power?
    I happen to be one of the fools who stuck on a 2.5in y pipe w/o headers cuz i thought I would get a little extra power I think on a mustang dyno i gained maybe 2-5 hp, not worth it until you get headers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bang bang choo choo train!!
    By nitrox28 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 10:32 PM
  2. Most bang for tha Buck
    By thegoodthebadtheWs6 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
  3. Would you bang Stevie?
    By 86 IROC-Z in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM
  4. The most bang for my buck
    By crashkev469 in forum GTO
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 04:03 PM
  5. Would you bang this??
    By hirdlej in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 06:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •