Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Y-pipe bang help

This is a discussion on Y-pipe bang help within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; the more i think about it,i really don't want to use a coke can as a auto part.i will go ...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

the more i think about it,i really don't want to use a coke can as a auto part.i will go by the exhaust shop i use in couple weeks.

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

i installed the bump stop and got more vibration then before. sounds like its a 50/50 if it will work for people.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i may not have perfectly installed mine, so i would hesitate to say it is a bad part or that someone should not buy one.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsWS-6 View Post
    i installed the bump stop and got more vibration then before. sounds like its a 50/50 if it will work for people.
    yes same problem i had when i got a bump stop they are worthless. if u want to get it right the first time go to an auto part store get a metal zip tie depending the diameter of your exhaust and buy a battery mount. They are polyurethane and theres a nifty hole in the middle that threads the metal zip tie perfect use a pry bar pull the exhaust y pipe up. Place the battery mount under attach the zip tie and there go all of your problems/vibrations gone and no more clang! clang! clang! The coke can is just if u don't have any money to buy a battery mount . Its the same battery mount that comes stock on are cars check the battery mount to see what it looks like . I got the idea from when i was running 10.5's( back when i had my drag only set up that is).My y pipe kept slamming on my floor boards so bad i thought i was losing a piston so after some hours under the car i devised a simple and cheap custom Bump stop
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-14-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling

402, Can we get a picture? After installed.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    402, Can we get a picture? After installed.
    Sure im all dressed in my church clothes so tomorrow when i get a chance i'll take a picture on my cell phone and post it up

Awaiting Activation

pewter
    2002 Z28

Hi guys..........My exhaust guy installed the Mufflex bump stop on my SLP y pipe a couple years ago. Works fine........no major banging like before install.

SOM
    2002 SS

My exhaust was banging alot. the y was close and the exhaust shoppe did heat and bend it a little. the design of the 4th gen is pathetic for a dual exhaust and is one reason why I dont think ill ever love my Camaro.

I purchased that hangar but realized that my original pipe from the cat is 2" or so and the Y was installed further back from where it needs to be installed. I used header wrap around the pipe and installed the clamp. It works absolutely beautiful. Any of you who claim this part is garbage are seriously retarded. it works as intended and for $40 its quite a deal. My vibration was eliminated 95% only slightly on a rough surface would I feel anything at WOT in first.

The downsides of installing it are that it forces the pipe to hang low. since my car is lowered I did just get over a speed bump last weekend i didnt notice and it slammed my exhaust pipe. it smushed the hangar backwards so I need to re-bend the thing. On the bright side the exhaust was hot so when it hit the speed bump I think it bent the top of the pipe against the floor some more so now there is no vibration at all . Go figure. I planned to have my exhaust guy fix it but I'm waiting on a seller to hook me up with stainless headers and new Y with cats so I'm just not bothering with it.

I wish there was a headers with 2.5 inch collectors and 2.5 inch Y. unless you are over 700 hp 3" is just overkill.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    My exhaust was banging alot. the y was close and the exhaust shoppe did heat and bend it a little. the design of the 4th gen is pathetic for a dual exhaust and is one reason why I dont think ill ever love my Camaro.

I purchased that hangar but realized that my original pipe from the cat is 2" or so and the Y was installed further back from where it needs to be installed. I used header wrap around the pipe and installed the clamp. It works absolutely beautiful. Any of you who claim this part is garbage are seriously retarded. it works as intended and for $40 its quite a deal. My vibration was eliminated 95% only slightly on a rough surface would I feel anything at WOT in first.

The downsides of installing it are that it forces the pipe to hang low. since my car is lowered I did just get over a speed bump last weekend i didnt notice and it slammed my exhaust pipe. it smushed the hangar backwards so I need to re-bend the thing. On the bright side the exhaust was hot so when it hit the speed bump I think it bent the top of the pipe against the floor some more so now there is no vibration at all . Go figure. I planned to have my exhaust guy fix it but I'm waiting on a seller to hook me up with stainless headers and new Y with cats so I'm just not bothering with it.

I wish there was a headers with 2.5 inch collectors and 2.5 inch Y. unless you are over 700 hp 3" is just overkill.
    yeah how about 4 and a half inch dual ehaust lol ? that is what i have and with most exhausts you can put a polyurethane mount on there with a metal zip tie and its fine but mine is so big that even a zip tie won't fit around it but im upoading a pic for you guys . So you can see what it looks like.i've had mine on there for 2 years and its not moved a bit it was hard to take a pic but i got 1 just for ls1.com

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    the more i think about it,i really don't want to use a coke can as a auto part.i will go by the exhaust shop i use in couple weeks.
    Then don't use a coke can use what i did a polyurethane battery mount

with an exhaust that is max 3 and a half inches you can put a metal zip tie in the whole of the mount.I was not able to use a metal zip tie due to the size of my exhaust.This modification has been there snug for 2 years with zero vibrations and zero noise. this is for sure sticky worthy
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-14-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post

It is absolutly possible to have 2.5 collectors and y pipe. That is a great idea for guys that are slammed on the ground LOL

white
    1999 z28

or ya can just install the bbk headers and the poly motor mounts and be good to go.
    i know the poly mounts are a pain(i did mine on my back under car)but if your going to do headers,do the mounts !!!

Black
    1999 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by lovedrvr View Post
    or ya can just install the bbk headers and the poly motor mounts and be good to go.
    i know the poly mounts are a pain(i did mine on my back under car)but if your going to do headers,do the mounts !!!
    You guys who are talking about the correct way to solve the problem of a banging Y-pipe, there is your answer.

When you install Longtube Headers, you really should take the time to upgrade your motor mounts to either Polys or Solids.

Yes, they are a PITA to install, but this is the proper way to ensure the torque flex of the motor won't allow the exhaust to bang on the floor pan.

Any other method is simply a remedy.

1999 Firebird Formula
    M6 Hurst-Billet Short-Throw|SLP Airlid, Smooth Bellows, Polished TB, & LS6 Intake|Jet Hot LTs, Catted Y-Pipe, & SLP Loudmouth|SLP Subframe Connectors
    Spohn Adj. Torque Arm & LCAs

Arctic White
    99 SS m6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    LOL, thats funny! i am not advocating but a tidbit: manufactures used to use what looked like coffe cans as vacuum cans, so a coke can isnt too far from that and.... i have used a dr. pepper can as an overflow bottle at the track

Quote Originally Posted by stormy69 View Post
    LOL, thats funny! i am not advocating but a tidbit: manufactures used to use what looked like coffe cans as vacuum cans, so a coke can isnt too far from that and.... i have used a dr. pepper can as an overflow bottle at the track
    Ya depending on how far back you go, manufactures used to use glass jars for washer bottles.
    It wasn't that long ago that the large steel cans were used for vacuum assisted headlights.

I've also used the 12 oz cans for overflow at the track on cars that never came equipped from the factory with an overflow. Some tracks (depending on the tech inspector) frown on that now.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

went by my exhaust shop 2 weeks ago and they modified the y pipe and the bang is gone! I will get some poly engine mounts when I do the engine swap. They charged me 80 bucks but what the hell at least it doesn't bang anymore
    Posted via Mobile Device

Red/Black
    1998 Z28 T-top 6spd

help

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    Yeah you take a pry bar and lift the y pipe 1-2 inches, then slip a metal zip tie under it in 1 motion. Then put the crushed coke can Under the y pipe where it is a single piece. (If you dont have a polyurethane battery mount step on a coke can and crush it it works the same) let go of the exhaust then tighten up the zip tie and your banging is gone. Cheap fix that costed you nothing If you have bags of money just sitting around, go buy a chrome battery mount which is a pain to install ,my modification is simple and so easy my sister could do it
    i dont quite understand. whats the zip tie around other than the pipe. and does can get crushed vertically or horizontally. where does can go? between zip tie and pipe. on top of pipe or below pipe? im having quite a bit of confusion with this.

Indigo Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Does a y-pipe add much power?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by artie634u View Post
    I assume you mean an off road y pipe connected to stock manifolds? No, not really. Everyone changes the y pipe when they get long tube headers cause, you have to.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by artie634u View Post
    I happen to be one of the fools who stuck on a 2.5in y pipe w/o headers cuz i thought I would get a little extra power I think on a mustang dyno i gained maybe 2-5 hp, not worth it until you get headers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information