Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Y-pipe bang help

This is a discussion on Y-pipe bang help within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; OH found this, thought it might be a good idea. Im not a pusher or a seller but when i ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Y-pipe bang help

    OH found this, thought it might be a good idea. Im not a pusher or a seller but when i saw this i had to let some peeps know. SInce everyone always is talking about y-pipes banging (for those that use them of course) Not sure how valid it is but it sounded good.

    http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...mid=75&sid=528

  2. #2
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Looks like it should work.

  3. #3
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,677
    2000 C5 Torch Red

    I went to a shop and got a 1" piece of gasket they said you could pickup from a hardware store. Just wedge that underneath and voila!!!

  4. #4
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    i have the thunder racing bump stop and it does work,bit of a pain in the ass to install without a lift though.

  5. #5
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I went to a shop and got a 1" piece of gasket they said you could pickup from a hardware store. Just wedge that underneath and voila!!!
    Been there done that, its only going to work for awhile. You also get a bunch of vibration
    The best bet is the bump stop thinge and also heat up the pipes and bend them slightly downwards.

  6. #6
    Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bragg NC
    Posts
    2,835

    Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Been there done that, its only going to work for awhile. You also get a bunch of vibration
    The best bet is the bump stop thinge and also heat up the pipes and bend them slightly downwards.
    Yepp hes right, been there done that and got the award....
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

  7. #7
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    so this is a good thing then right?

  8. #8
    402 Guru 402 Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    261

    Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

    heres a cheap and simple mod if you have a battery mount or a crushed coke can you can get a metal zip tie( or a radiator hose metal tie) and put it under the y pipe and bam the banging is gone ( dont use a plastic zip-tie it will melt . a fix that is cheap and stops the banging) so good it should be a sticky
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-06-2009 at 07:49 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    heres a cheap and simple mod if you have a battery mount or a crushed coke can you can get a metal zip tie( or a radiator hose metal tie) and put it under the y pipe and bam the banging is gone ( dont use a plastic zip-tie it will melt . a fix that is cheap and stops the banging) so good it should be a sticky
    um ....ok? I think i like the clamp hanger better.

  10. #10
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    i got the clamp hanger pain to install

  11. #11
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    heres a cheap and simple mod if you have a battery mount or a crushed coke can you can get a metal zip tie( or a radiator hose metal tie) and put it under the y pipe and bam the banging is gone ( dont use a plastic zip-tie it will melt . a fix that is cheap and stops the banging) so good it should be a sticky
    you put a crushed coke can between the body and the y-pipe?
    Last edited by 02transamce; 12-10-2009 at 02:34 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    I heated and crimped my 3" ORY, no more rattle under hard accel. It fits higher than my OE Y-pipe did. $40 seems kinda high for a relatively easy (if you have a torch) fix, and people here have that the $40 piece isn't permanent anyway. I don't think a couple of flatter spots on the ORY will affect the flow much, if any, on an engine making less than 500 HP.
    Last edited by Too Fast; 12-10-2009 at 03:30 AM.

  13. #13
    402 Guru 402 Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    261

    Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

    Thumbs up y-banging sticky :)

    Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    you put a crushed coke can between the body and the y-pipe?
    Yeah you take a pry bar and lift the y pipe 1-2 inches, then slip a metal zip tie under it in 1 motion. Then put the crushed coke can Under the y pipe where it is a single piece. (If you dont have a polyurethane battery mount step on a coke can and crush it it works the same) let go of the exhaust then tighten up the zip tie and your banging is gone. Cheap fix that costed you nothing If you have bags of money just sitting around, go buy a chrome battery mount which is a pain to install ,my modification is simple and so easy my sister could do it

  14. #14
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    well hell,i'll try this seeing how it won't cost me anything.i have the Thunderracing bump stop,but it has not completely stopped the bumping.i think it may not be installed perfectly,but it was difficult to install without a lift,i would have installed in when i did the headers and ory,but it was backordered and didn't come in until almost 2 weeks after the exhaust was installed.

  15. #15
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    I would do things the right way. Have your exhaust guy cut the pipes and re-align them to fit properly.

  16. #16
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I would do things the right way. Have your exhaust guy cut the pipes and re-align them to fit properly.
    Exactly. I found the only way to fix it and do it right was to cut off the existing pipe and re-bend. A little welding and I was done.

    When I installed headers and off road Y pipe on my wifes car too,,,,I didn't even hesitate to cut the Y pipe and re-bend and weld it during the installation. I knew it would have done the same thing as mine.
    To me it now just seems like a normal part of the install procedure.

    No funky rubber mounts or coke cans with zip ties

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Posts
    4

    collector yellow
    2002 Trans Am

    I used a floor jack to bend the hanger up. problem solved.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Exactly. I found the only way to fix it and do it right was to cut off the existing pipe and re-bend. A little welding and I was done.

    When I installed headers and off road Y pipe on my wifes car too,,,,I didn't even hesitate to cut the Y pipe and re-bend and weld it during the installation. I knew it would have done the same thing as mine.
    To me it now just seems like a normal part of the install procedure.

    No funky rubber mounts or coke cans with zip ties
    I agree about doing it right, but a lot of people don't have access to a torch/welder.

    LOL, you put headers/ORY on the wifes ride. Or does she have the same need for speed we seem to?

  19. #19
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by 02ceta88 View Post
    I used a floor jack to bend the hanger up. problem solved.
    Yes if you'r trying to bend something upwards this can work too.

  20. #20
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I agree about doing it right, but a lot of people don't have access to a torch/welder.

    LOL, you put headers/ORY on the wifes ride. Or does she have the same need for speed we seem to?
    Ya, she couldn't care less about speed, she just likes to drive the stuff. I put them on because I can't seem to leave anything alone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bang bang choo choo train!!
    By nitrox28 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 10:32 PM
  2. Most bang for tha Buck
    By thegoodthebadtheWs6 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
  3. Would you bang Stevie?
    By 86 IROC-Z in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM
  4. The most bang for my buck
    By crashkev469 in forum GTO
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 04:03 PM
  5. Would you bang this??
    By hirdlej in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 06:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •