Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
Like Tree3Likes

X pipe Vs. Y pipe

This is a discussion on X pipe Vs. Y pipe within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; what is better an X pipe or Y pipe? I have a 2000 T/A and im installing headers soon so ...

  1. #1
    **Te@M fBoDy** fbodyNATION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands,Texas...N.O.
    Posts
    1,016

    Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Question X pipe Vs. Y pipe

    what is better an X pipe or Y pipe? I have a 2000 T/A and im installing headers soon so I wanted to know which pipe would be better

  2. #2
    Electrical Engineer KMdef9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Motorcity
    Posts
    2,611

    Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

    < 500hp = y pipe
    > 500hp = x pipe

  3. #3
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Well, a Y-pipe means you are going to run a single pipe system from the cats on back. It's not the best setup for even a mild V8, even the 3 inch catbacks are marginal. Stepping up to a 4" catback off of a well built Y-pipe works well enough and is worlds better than the 3 inch setups if you want to stick with single systems.

    The X-pipe is relegated to dual exhaust systems, and a well built setup is hard to beat.

    It comes down to how much money you want to spend, and how much (if any) ground clearance you want to sacrifice?

  4. #4
    I believe a 3" Y pipe is good for 370 engine horsepower with zero engine loss. True duals is the way to go if you plan on going head/cam. Or a 3" Y with a cut out would work fine.

  5. #5
    **Te@M fBoDy** fbodyNATION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands,Texas...N.O.
    Posts
    1,016

    Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    thanks guys,im not installing a cam or heads so im guessing that the Y pipe would be my best option

  6. #6
    **Te@M fBoDy** fbodyNATION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands,Texas...N.O.
    Posts
    1,016

    Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    I believe a 3" Y pipe is good for 370 engine horsepower with zero engine loss. True duals is the way to go if you plan on going head/cam. Or a 3" Y with a cut out would work fine.
    does having a cut out means that it would be noisy? because i dont want the car to be super loud

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    does having a cut out means that it would be noisy? because i dont want the car to be super loud
    A cut out is installed in the (I pipe) thus by passing the muffler. So its pretty much like running open headers except some exhaust will still flow through the cat-back. It would be loud on stock manifolds, very loud with long tube headers. You can get an electric cut out. Just press the switch to open it up and be loud/quiet when you need to be. Most guys only run them open at the track.

  8. #8
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    duals sound better
    <-dual owner

  9. #9
    Member zmg00camaross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    764

    pewter
    2000 camaro ss

    Xpipe for sound and performance.

  10. #10
    Member Eganslp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    271

    Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

    Y-pipe= more torque than x-pipe and definatley more noticeable off launches. Sounds ok cutt off muffler Sounds better :-)

    X-pipe= slightly more hp, but noticeable difference in loss of torque tho. Also has more of a steady acceleration throughout the whole rpm's range. hah & sound is lol like sex!!!!! it's a hundred more x's better then y-pipe. it's why I went with it. the only prob. is that it sucks when your basically stock you need that launch in the beginning to get you movin. LoL I'll sacrifice that for the sound any day.

    All based of a stock to lightly modded
    (Ex: slp headers and cold air intake)

    But if you plan on doing cam/head work go with X-pipe. Cuz the more air you bring in the faster you gotta get it out. Or at least thats the theory.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

  11. #11
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by Eganslp View Post
    Y-pipe= more torque than x-pipe and definatley more noticeable off launches. Sounds ok cutt off muffler Sounds better :-)

    X-pipe= slightly more hp, but noticeable difference in loss of torque tho. Also has more of a steady acceleration throughout the whole rpm's range. hah & sound is lol like sex!!!!! it's a hundred more x's better then y-pipe. it's why I went with it. the only prob. is that it sucks when your basically stock you need that launch in the beginning to get you movin. LoL I'll sacrifice that for the sound any day.

    All based of a stock to lightly modded
    (Ex: slp headers and cold air intake)

    But if you plan on doing cam/head work go with X-pipe. Cuz the more air you bring in the faster you gotta get it out. Or at least thats the theory.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven't lost any torque. You must be referring to those 4 bangers with the foldger's coffee cans on the back

  12. #12
    The Demon Demon_Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    648

    Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    I believe a 3" Y pipe is good for 370 engine horsepower with zero engine loss. True duals is the way to go if you plan on going head/cam. Or a 3" Y with a cut out would work fine.
    I made 392whp w/ mild cam/ LS6 heads through a Y-Pipe set up that is a 2 7/8" y-pipe and cut out before the axle. Not sure where you get your info from? I made 378whp with out a cut out and even a smaller cam on the same Y-Pipe.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    I made 392whp w/ mild cam/ LS6 heads through a Y-Pipe set up that is a 2 7/8" y-pipe and cut out before the axle. Not sure where you get your info from? I made 378whp with out a cut out and even a smaller cam on the same Y-Pipe.
    http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371087

  14. #14
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Eganslp View Post
    Y-pipe= more torque than x-pipe and definatley more noticeable off launches. Sounds ok cutt off muffler Sounds better :-)

    X-pipe= slightly more hp, but noticeable difference in loss of torque tho. Also has more of a steady acceleration throughout the whole rpm's range. hah & sound is lol like sex!!!!! it's a hundred more x's better then y-pipe. it's why I went with it. the only prob. is that it sucks when your basically stock you need that launch in the beginning to get you movin. LoL I'll sacrifice that for the sound any day.

    All based of a stock to lightly modded
    (Ex: slp headers and cold air intake)

    But if you plan on doing cam/head work go with X-pipe. Cuz the more air you bring in the faster you gotta get it out. Or at least thats the theory.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A real dual exhaust setup will perform better in every aspect, especially with an X-pipe in the mix.

    The only reason these cars came with Y-pipes is for packaging reasons. It's not considered performance oriented in any way. You can "help" the matter by sticking larger Y-pipes and larger single exhaust systems on the car, but it's only going to get you so far.

  15. #15
    Member Eganslp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    271

    Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I haven't lost any torque. You must be referring to those 4 bangers with the foldger's coffee cans on the back
    I just going off my experience with it. that's all. to me it feels like the y-pipe gave it alot more pull off the line. As for the x-pipe I don't but I def. feel a much quicker accel. throughout the whole rpm band. idk I guess it could be bc I'm used to my car. I never had it dyno'd to actually tell.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Senior Member bluehawk2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,492

    midnight blue
    2000 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Eganslp View Post
    I just going off my experience with it. that's all. to me it feels like the y-pipe gave it alot more pull off the line. As for the x-pipe I don't but I def. feel a much quicker accel. throughout the whole rpm band. idk I guess it could be bc I'm used to my car. I never had it dyno'd to actually tell.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A good tune will fix that issue most likely!!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    A real dual exhaust setup will perform better in every aspect, especially with an X-pipe in the mix.

    The only reason these cars came with Y-pipes is for packaging reasons. It's not considered performance oriented in any way. You can "help" the matter by sticking larger Y-pipes and larger single exhaust systems on the car, but it's only going to get you so far.
    I wonder how much one would gain on a full bolt on car from going from a very free flowing cat back system such as a lm1 to an x pipe.

  18. #18
    Senior Member bluehawk2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,492

    midnight blue
    2000 trans am

    I heard up to gains of 30+ horsepower in some cases with a xpipe and LT's after a tune.

  19. #19
    Drop&Drag matt evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    clyde nc
    Posts
    287

    black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

    x-pipe all the way. huge difference with both my cars. i wouldnt have a y-pipe now to be given one.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Danger731's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    6,712
    my vette has an x pipe, i don't know if that is stock ?
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

    2009 CTS4 Ice Black

    2013 1500 Silverado Z71

    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale: Bassani y-pipe and cat delete pipe
    By Soltakr in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 09:32 PM
  2. H pipe Vs. X pipe (You Make the choice for me)
    By 180ls1 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 08:38 AM
  3. CHEAP!!! Stock Y-Pipe, Off-road Y-pipe, stock suspension
    By Black99Z28 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 10:42 AM
  4. h pipe or streight pipe
    By rice burner in forum GTO
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 05:20 PM
  5. headers with x-pipe or y-pipe?
    By BlackTA00 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 05:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •