Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

X pipe or H pipe?

I'm getting ready to run true duals and was wondering what most of f body owners do, X or H when going over the axels. I understand X pipes allow more scavenging which gives a few more hp. But I was also concerned about which ones will sound better with a set of LTs and flowmaster 1 chambers.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You plan on going over the axle? Where are the mufflers going??

X-pipe.
    I would recommend Magnaflow mufflers though.
    http://home.comcast.net/~SlowassTA402/cappeddyno.wmv
    That is my custom (over the axle) true duals (X-pipe) and Magnaflow mufflers under the rear bumper.
    Some think it is too tame...I love it. Has a GREAT rumble to it...but never gets too loud.
    And the N/A 402 build makes 515+ RWHP through it.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Go with the X, it sounds way better, and cleaner than the H does.

Flowmasters dont seem to be the most popular mufflers for the fbody...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GxWSyemFkIw

a few picts here

www.fquick.com/xzaero0

White
    2001 WS6

go with the x pipe and some resonators. you'll love the performance gain and the nice tone to it. its has a smooth v8 sound to it, and longtubes will just make it sound lovely, trust.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796262

This is the route I was thinking since everyone recommends a X pipe hands down.

I know flowmasters are kinda hated on f bodys... but thats usually the 80 series which sucks dick and has terrible flow. The 10 series on the other hand is a race muffler, only 1 chamber, which gives it a little deeper tone than a resonator, but is still pretty much straight through.

Let me know what you guys think. I know everyone doesnt agree with the mufflers, but let me know on the rest of system.
    Last edited by WS6ICK2K; 05-27-2008 at 07:47 PM.

On the X-pipe, be aware that design is critical, and thus different brands are going to sound and work different. I would NOT use a generic X-pipe built at a muffler shop. If I were you I would go around listening to a bunch of exhaust clips with different brand X-pipes to see which one you like. Personally I run nothing but Dr. Gas X-pipes, but there are other good brands out there as well.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

It looks ok, but I would want more straight pipe before the 1st bend comming off of the headers for velocity. Also try not to get so many sharp bends in it.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796262

This is the route I was thinking since everyone recommends a X pipe hands down.

I know flowmasters are kinda hated on f bodys... but thats usually the 80 series which sucks dick and has terrible flow. The 10 series on the other hand is a race muffler, only 1 chamber, which gives it a little deeper tone than a resonator, but is still pretty much straight through.

Let me know what you guys think. I know everyone doesnt agree with the mufflers, but let me know on the rest of system.
    I just love how he has the soda can under the exhaust to show how much clearance it has, except, he probably has it still on the stands or the car looks like a 4X4 goin down the road.

Yeah, you can do 3" TD's over the axle, but ground clearance will suffer.

Also, I like the sound of Flowmaster mufflers, but they sound like ass when you put em all the way in the back. Take a listen to a 05' up GT with axle back Flowmasters and you will see what I mean.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Never hit the headers. Scraped the driver side pipe right off the header near the subframe connector...once, on a large speed bump.
    Car is lowered on ProKit springs.

I have since added Koni's...and I haven't even hit the flange since installing those.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Never hit the headers. Scraped the driver side pipe right off the header near the subframe connector...once, on a large speed bump.
    Car is lowered on ProKit springs.

Click for full size

I have since added Koni's...and I haven't even hit the flange since installing those.
    Those duals on your car look awesome, I was wondering what kind of X pipe you were running, I know its probably top of the line from seeing those kooks headers.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I just love how he has the soda can under the exhaust to show how much clearance it has, except, he probably has it still on the stands or the car looks like a 4X4 goin down the road.

Yeah, you can do 3" TD's over the axle, but ground clearance will suffer.

Also, I like the sound of Flowmaster mufflers, but they sound like ass when you put em all the way in the back. Take a listen to a 05' up GT with axle back Flowmasters and you will see what I mean.
    I was thinking about that also being all the way in the back. Do you guys think they are to far back to have a good sound? I also know exactly what your saying about the new mustangs.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Those duals on your car look awesome, I was wondering what kind of X pipe you were running, I know its probably top of the line from seeing those kooks headers.
    Custom.
    The pipes aren't mandrel bent. Wouldn't have fit if they were.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Looks good I can tell the exhaust guys knew what they were doing on your car. I know mandrels are alot better, but as long as you don't bend them quite as sharp and they dont crimp there about the same.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Looks good I can tell the exhaust guys knew what they were doing on your car. I know mandrels are alot better, but as long as you don't bend them quite as sharp and they dont crimp there about the same.
    Well....my goal was the car was to have a solid performing exhaust set-up that was tame for the street. I think it does great. My tuner was giving me shit for my car sounding like a stock LS1 with a cat-back on it while dyno'ing.

I un-cap the cutouts for the track.

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Pacesetter LT headers, cats, egr, air removed. TSP true duals with sweet thunder mufflers and x pipe, turned down before the rear end.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000taws6 View Post
    Pacesetter LT headers, cats, egr, air removed. TSP true duals with sweet thunder mufflers and x pipe, turned down before the rear end.
    I kinda like having exhaust tips in the bumper cutouts.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I have 3" td's dmped (for now) with an h and single chamber flowmasters, but the exhaust shop I took it to did a REALLY shitty job! The pipes are too far apart, thus making the h very wide (not ideal for scavenging I guess), and they made the turndowns huge. Otherwise I LOVE the sound and performance.

My buddy just got 3" with an x-pipe under the axle with dynomax bullets under the bumper, and it sounds good, but a little raspy for me...I also do not "feel" a difference in power with his x-pipe over my h-pipe, and difference in mufflers etc. We both have full bolt ons and td's (minus tb). Also, my car has 81,000miles and his has 38,000....

Anther thing: I am a HUGE proponent of Magnaflow, but I just wanted to see what they'd (flowmaster) sound like, and if what everyone says about flowmaster is true or not, and with the 1 chambers it certainly doesn't seem so. My point is, do your research and make sure you get what you want out of your exhaust, not just what everyone tells you, cause you have to drive it and enjoy it! Good luck!

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Thanks man, I was wondering if you had any sound clips of you car? I bet it sounds nasty

Teal
    1992 Firebird

H pipe will make the exhaust louder than and exhaust with an X pipe. But an X pipe flows better. The H and X pipe will change the sound sliglhty depending on which one you choose. LSx motors seem to perfer the X pipe. ford motors like the H pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy View Post
    LSx motors seem to perfer the X pipe. ford motors like the H pipe.
    False

The motor doesn't know what brand it is. A good X pipe with almost always make more low end torque and top end power than an H pipe, regardless of the motor.
    Last edited by shiftless; 06-06-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Thread Information