Thread: WS6 and Volant?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

WS6 and Volant?

I've been trying to decide what to do about this and I'm not so sure. I've been talking to people over on LS1Tech.com, but haven't exactly gotten a definite answer. Anyway, the question is, should I get a Volant intake? I wouldn't think it was worth it or even better than a lid with a z28 or ss, or the non-ws6 trans am, but with mine I'm not so sure. Since I have the ws6 hood and the volant seals up to the top of the hood. So if I got one of those and debaffled my hood in the front the air would have a straight shot from the 2 "nose hole" openings in the front to the air filters in the volant box, and it would be sealed off to that outside air. It seems like a good concept to me, but I don't know. I would be worried about water too.

What do you think?

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I wouldnt think it would get enough water in to hurt anything but there was a product i think it was called BGRA and heard of people expiriencing vapor lock with that particular air intake but it wasnt typical. Alot of people still use it with no problems. If I was you I would just get an aftermarket lid.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I already have an SLP lid....and LT's and TSP ORY and Hooker catback. So I'm just wondering if it would be better than that. This would basically be the same thing as the BGRA, a straight through shot from the "nose holes" to the filter. It would just be a different kind of air box. Two cone shapes sealed to the outside instead of the holes sealed to the regular box/lid. The reason I'm thinking about this is because the BGRA isn't made anymore.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i have the volant. it dynoed 5 more rwho than the slp lid.
    because you have a ram air hood, you will need alittle weatherstrip to put on top of the volant to have it nice and sealed.
    youre idea for extra air is a good one. the cone filters got dirty on my car real fast.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    i have the volant. it dynoed 5 more rwho than the slp lid.
    because you have a ram air hood, you will need alittle weatherstrip to put on top of the volant to have it nice and sealed.
    youre idea for extra air is a good one. the cone filters got dirty on my car real fast.
    Agreed. I have a WS6 with a Volant and have been very happy with it. Understand though, that the Volant was designed for a standard Trans Am hood and not the WS6. With the WS6 hood, you'll have small gaps at various locations that won't allow the box to seal to the hood. But... all is not lost. Since the gaps are small, they can be filled in with a little foam padding like nhraformula suggest above. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a length of foam tubing that used to insulate copper piping. You can find it in the plumbing section. The foam tube is gray, about 6' in length, and comes pre-split with tape adhesive. I lined the existing rubber gasket that comes on the box (I left it there) with this foam tubing about a year ago and it's holding up great. It never sticks to the hood and looks like it came with the intake.

Good luck,
    Marc

Thread Information