Would this set up restrict power any?

Say you had a full bolt on ls1 (LT's,Ls6,Lid,Ported TB) with a cut out before the stock catback on a base or ws6 model. Would it restrict any power at all with the 2.75 piping?

I think it would be funny to have the stock muffler driving around then when a random riced out civic pulls up next to you and wants to run, until you open up that cut out
    Last edited by Mike0202; 01-22-2011 at 09:28 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Of course there is some to be had with a 3" pipe or even 4". With your mods would you feel that? No. Great way to hide a cam

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Of course there is some to be had with a 3" pipe or even 4". With your mods would you feel that? No. Great way to hide a cam
    Im getting a lm1 but if I still had the stock ws6 muffler id probably do it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Say you had a full bolt on ls1 (LT's,Ls6,Lid,Ported TB) with a cut out before the stock catback on a base or ws6 model. Would it restrict any power at all with the 2.75 piping?

I think it would be funny to have the stock muffler driving around then when a random riced out civic pulls up next to you and wants to run, until you open up that cut out
    I did almost this exact thing before I went with the TD setup. It was throaty (LT's into a custom Y-pipe into the I-pipe with the cutout under the rear passenger seat) but not loud at all with the cutout closed. Open it up and it was a different matter. Open got another 6 hp and 10 lbs-ft of torque - not as much as before the LT's were installed - then it was almost double) but a world of difference in the sound.

An anecdote: I'm driving (the 02 - see sig) to work and a riced out Civic pulls up next to me at the light. He blips the throttle. I look at him while I open the cutout (electric type for me) and blip MY throttle. I think he pissed his pants a little and he wouldn't look at me. I left the light at a sedate pace and he stayed behind me all the way.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

I knew quite a few people doing this years ago. It does cost a little power but with an electric cutout it doesn't really matter. Flip of the switch away.

If I were building a sleeper that would be the way to do it. Can't sneak up on anyone, or fool anyone with a loud exhaust system.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You don't need an electric cutout with an lm-1. It's just a resonator in the way.

I say yes no matter what 3 inch system you use,,,it's just one 3 inch pipe and it's not really enough no matter what muffler you use.

You want to keep the single catbacks without the need for a cutout then go to the 4" mufflex. Otherwise a real dual system is the only other option as far as performance goes.

But the real idea behind the cutout that I was aware of in this thread was using it along with the factory catback system, in which case, a catback wouldn't be all that necessary, just flip a switch and bypass the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    But the real idea behind the cutout that I was aware of in this thread was using it along with the factory catback system, in which case, a catback wouldn't be all that necessary, just flip a switch and bypass the whole thing.
    Yeah but I dont have the stock muffler

Does the cut out really by pass the whole cat back or does the muffler still restrict a tiny bit?

Yeah but I dont have the stock muffler

Does the cut out really by pass the whole cat back or does the muffler still restrict a tiny bit?
    Well it would depend on where you want to put the cutout. Closer to the Y-pipe the better off you'd be.
    People report gains on the dyno with the cutouts open, even when they already have an aftermarket 3 inch catback.
    I personally have only used the cutouts at the track, never on a dyno before. And I do see gains depending on the car and the system it has.

My whole issue with the 4th gen is taking a 400+ HP engine and trying to funnel all that down into a single 3 inch pipe. It's just not enough.

Well, I had the math on paper somewhere around here, I dont remember how much hp 2.75 will flow but if I remeber correctly a 3" flows up to 369hp before any power loss. I really dont believe your losing to much if you are.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've read that one 3' pipe flows as much as dual 2.5's...

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I've read that one 3' pipe flows as much as dual 2.5's...
    You read wrong

2.5 duals are enough to support about 500hp if I remember correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well it would depend on where you want to put the cutout. Closer to the Y-pipe the better off you'd be.
    People report gains on the dyno with the cutouts open, even when they already have an aftermarket 3 inch catback.
    I personally have only used the cutouts at the track, never on a dyno before. And I do see gains depending on the car and the system it has.

My whole issue with the 4th gen is taking a 400+ HP engine and trying to funnel all that down into a single 3 inch pipe. It's just not enough.
    Well the cut out would go in the I pipe. Id assume it would be the loudest thing on the road with any type of long tube headers in front of it regardless of what muffler is out back.

Thread Information