Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Is it worth porting the TB

Well i want to get my TB ported and get the bump stop removed, was wondering if the mod is worth it and how much RWHP roughly it will give. Im gonna use Shaner on here or one of the ebay companies. Either way just was thinking if its gonna give atleast 8rwhp it might be worth it but i dont know.

SS Driver

Black
    00 Camaro SS #5255

I had mine done, the throttle response alone was worth it to me.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

im going to send mine to shaner check this thread,
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101533

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

i actually emailed him and my may concern was him grinding out the bump stop and porting it and he said on any stage he does get rid of the bump stop so i decided to get the regular porting and see how ill like it. Hoping ill pick up a few HP from it and as stated above if the throttle response improves thats great too

red
    2000 camaro ss

bone stock you wont see much, but a ported stocker will support almost anything ya put behind it. --grinding the bump stop will help you out though.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

you may gain a horse or two. to me its not worth it
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Not to put Shaner down at all but if it costs you $159.00 to get your stock throttle body ported and polished wouldn't it be better to take that money and put it torward an aftermarket throttle body such as a 92mm Nick Williams or FAST. Both of these TB price for just under $400.00 and if your gunna do other mods your already set with your bigger TB.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Agreed. I wouldn't pay that cash for a stock TB porting. FAST TB's are crazy $$$.

Save some money up and buy a PTM or Nick Williams. Both are great pieces. I would NOT be doing this mod unless Everything on the exhaust side was done first. A better flowing TB isn't going to net you shit if you exhaust flows nothing. I have a PTM 92 and I love it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Dyno time with a heads/cam 02 trans am showed up to 8 RWHP over the stocker.
    Thats bump stop, HALF SHAFT, full porting, full polishing and not epoxying it.
    Its somewhere on tech from when my bud ported mine.

Totally worth it unless your going to the 90/90 or 92/92 setup.

but mine cost 90 bucks and there was no shipping involved. Also polished on the outside of it.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Dyno time with a heads/cam 02 trans am showed up to 8 RWHP over the stocker.
    Thats bump stop, HALF SHAFT, full porting, full polishing and not epoxying it.
    Its somewhere on tech from when my bud ported mine.

Totally worth it unless your going to the 90/90 or 92/92 setup.

but mine cost 90 bucks and there was no shipping involved. Also polished on the outside of it.
    JD, the problem is thats the high end of hp gain. Alot of people got less than that. A few years back when my car was at speed inc getting cammed, i asked about getting it ported and was told not to waste my money.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    JD, the problem is thats the high end of hp gain. Alot of people got less than that. A few years back when my car was at speed inc getting cammed, i asked about getting it ported and was told not to waste my money.
    x2..only thing thats really positive is throttle response...but w/e get a u/d pulley and most people will ask "ported tb what?"

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Then im most likely not going to get it, probably just gonna install my 4.10's thats sitting around and get a computer tune. I think those 2 mods plus my other mods should get me atleast 325 rwhp coupled with the 4.10's should be quick enough hopefully. Down the road ill get nitrous, plugs and re-tune and call it a day.

Instead of spending money on it,,,you could always just port them yourself.

I did both of ours myself,,,it's not hard. I spent about a days worth of time on it. A small dremel is all thats needed with some sanding rolls.

It comes off pretty fast, just take your time and knock off the sharp edges, shape everything, you can get fancy with a mic and make sure everything is concentric.
    I went as far as knocking the screws down for the blade since they stuck out in the pathway,,,,but I didn't bother with grinding on the shaft itself.

The biggest thing to watch for is to not get into the area where the blade seals to the body,,,other than that there is nothing to it.

As far as gains I didn't find anything at the track on my 02 SS with stock cam,,,,but when I ported my wifes 00 SS there was a noticable difference, hers has a camshaft in it. Either way it doesn't matter to me,,,I'm not out any money and it gave me a piece of mind that it's done and could support more radical mods down the road for very little time spent.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Definitely worth it IMO. I noticed a nice improvement in throttle response and seemed like a slight seat of the pants increase at WOT (ported/HS/BS mod)... the question is how much money your comfortable spending. Its not very hard to do it yourself, also there are plenty of used already ported TB's floating around.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Ditto with the D-I-Y porting. And it's good experience to get you accustomed to doing more mods on your own.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

IMO a person is better off not wasting their dollars on mods that only yield a few extra hp. Just spend your $$$ on headers, stall, cam or NOS or lower gears.
    Last edited by Speedy_Gonzales; 11-28-2008 at 03:17 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

It's not the 'few extra hp' that is the key here. When evaluating any mod, there is more to consider than just peak HP. Even 2 of the mods you mention--stall & lower gears--yield zero extra HP. But each of those 2 yields quicker acceleration.

In this case, the improved throttle response alone is enough to make it worthwhile.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    It's not the 'few extra hp' that is the key here. When evaluating any mod, there is more to consider than just peak HP. Even 2 of the mods you mention--stall & lower gears--yield zero extra HP. But each of those 2 yields quicker acceleration.

In this case, the improved throttle response alone is enough to make it worthwhile.
    +1

With the half shaft mod, the bump stop mod and a good smooth inside polish it really wakes up the car.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post

the point was people waste lots of time and money on small mods when they could use the $$$ on mods that will make their car much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    the point was people waste lots of time and money on small mods when they could use the $$$ on mods that will make their car much faster.
    Thats why I said do it yourself. It costs nothing that way but a little of your time.

I've had experience porting cylinder heads. Much more involved worrying about short turn radius and throat diameter to promote velocity etc....

The throttle body is a straight shot with no rocket science involved. Very easy to do.

I'm not taking anything away from Shaner, he does a beautiful job and spends more time on them then I did with mine, but if you don't want to spend the money then doing it yourself is a piece of cake. Most every car guy has a dremel tool and some sanding rolls, yank that thing off and get to work

Thread Information