blue
    2000 camaro z28

Will the SLP CAI suck up water during rain?

I have a 2k z28.
    With the placement of the SLP CAI sucking the air from the bottom, how likely is it going to suck up water into the engine ? If the chances are high, would it be enough to damage the engine ? thanks

Awaiting Activation
    My friendit drives in pouring rain with it and no problems. I honestly wouldn't worry about it, but then again i wouldn't even buy it. Not worth the $100+ IMO. I would do the free ram air mod a K&N filter and a SLP lid.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

You should worry more about standing water like deep puddles...does the slp version come with a block-off plate? If not you might be able to get a plate from fast toys...or just cut some sheet metal to fit.

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

The only time you would have to worry about sucking water up thru the intake is during a flood situation. I had the SLP CAI on a 2000 Firehawk for 50,000 mi with no problems, and drove it in many heavy rain storms. I did have a friend with the CAI drive thru a large puddle after a huge rain storm and destroyed his motor. The water has to catch the airdam and then wash over the radiator for what your talking about to happen. Simply, don't drive your car thru deep water.

I've had FTRA on my car for years, no problems in heavy rain even on the highway - always avoid deep standing water at speed, whether you have a CAI or not.

Red
    2000 SS

I hydrolocked my old car's engine (01 Stratus RT) with a CAI but i hit a huge puddle in the pouring rain that i couldn't avoid. The cone filter sat pretty low to the ground.....but i thought the pipe was long and high enough that a substantial amount of water couldn't get in the engine.

I took the intake manifold off and it still wouldn't crank..........ended up bending a rod. The worst part was I did it leaving the bank with the check in hand to pay for my camaro.

Quote Originally Posted by BADBLUE02 View Post
    The only time you would have to worry about sucking water up thru the intake is during a flood situation. I had the SLP CAI on a 2000 Firehawk for 50,000 mi with no problems, and drove it in many heavy rain storms. I did have a friend with the CAI drive thru a large puddle after a huge rain storm and destroyed his motor. The water has to catch the airdam and then wash over the radiator for what your talking about to happen. Simply, don't drive your car thru deep water.
    Bingo.

Thats what happened to me! I had the FTRA. I was leaving the gym and both exits had water accumulated where the parkinglot meets the street. I pulled out and blew my motor. I had two holes on both sides of the block. I ripped that fucking FTRA right out.

The slp doesnt dig as low as the FTRA. The FTRA does come with a block off plate, but who wants to get down onto wet pavement to leave what ever establishment, just to get out of the parking lot.

"Its better than blowing a motor" Correct. But why chance it for hardly any performance gain? Myself and a friend bought FTRA for our cars (his was a 01 z28) and didnt notice a thing when we installed them. Not to mention, when I ripped it out, I didnt notice anything then either. Sealed good, had a holley powershot filter, but no increase in 1/4 times.

Risk > Reward

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Bingo.

Thats what happened to me! I had the FTRA. I was leaving the gym and both exits had water accumulated where the parkinglot meets the street. I pulled out and blew my motor. I had two holes on both sides of the block. I ripped that fucking FTRA right out.

The slp doesnt dig as low as the FTRA. The FTRA does come with a block off plate, but who wants to get down onto wet pavement to leave what ever establishment, just to get out of the parking lot.

"Its better than blowing a motor" Correct. But why chance it for hardly any performance gain? Myself and a friend bought FTRA for our cars (his was a 01 z28) and didnt notice a thing when we installed them. Not to mention, when I ripped it out, I didnt notice anything then either. Sealed good, had a holley powershot filter, but no increase in 1/4 times.

Risk > Reward
    It blew a hole in by friends block too.

When you think about it, the water does have a challengable path to follow in order to get sucked it, hence the common cliche: "1XXX miles on my car with it and no problems thus far."

Shit, you can find me saying the same shit for my holley power shot filter. I dont think its much better than a K&N's and most people despise their filters here.
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

u'll be fine, dont drive thru huge puddles
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Anyone ever modify their WS6 hood by removing the rain baffles to get a direct airflow and a more "true" ram air effect? I understand there is an increase in hydrolock when driven in rain, but what if an oil based filter is used? Wouldn't the oil act as a rain inhibitor, long enough to get out of the rain or at least pull over until it stops? Everyone is spending all this money on CAI setups and the WS6 hood is great, except the rain baffles and the fact that the hood doesn't seal to the air box. Nothing a little weatherstripping couldn't fix, right?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    Anyone ever modify their WS6 hood by removing the rain baffles to get a direct airflow and a more "true" ram air effect? I understand there is an increase in hydrolock when driven in rain, but what if an oil based filter is used? Wouldn't the oil act as a rain inhibitor, long enough to get out of the rain or at least pull over until it stops? Everyone is spending all this money on CAI setups and the WS6 hood is great, except the rain baffles and the fact that the hood doesn't seal to the air box. Nothing a little weatherstripping couldn't fix, right?
    My Ram air hood is debaffled and sealed directly to my hood and Volant dual cone intake. Straight shot, you can see the filters through the ram air vents. Driving this way for over 1 1/2 in ALL weather, rain snow etc.. with 0 problems

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thank, Hurley. Was going to attempt to remove the baffles yesterday, but got a little skeptical with everyone crying about hydrolock. If i might ask, how did you seal the airbox to the hood? Any pics?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    Thank, Hurley. Was going to attempt to remove the baffles yesterday, but got a little skeptical with everyone crying about hydrolock. If i might ask, how did you seal the airbox to the hood? Any pics?
    Ugh...here we go. My car is NEVER EVER EVER going to be a show car....so I just ghetto rigged it with AC foam and sealed it to the Volant CAI. I used toothpaste to check if it was all making contact and it worked......it is ghetto looking

sped
    Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    ...does the slp version come with a block-off plate? If not you might be able to get a plate from fast toys...or just cut some sheet metal to fit.
    I didn't see anywhere where this was answered but I have the SLP CAI and it came with a block off plate. I can't say anything her with my experience because I never take my car out when it's raining.

Thread Information