Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Why no SLP

This is a discussion on Why no SLP within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I was thinking of getting a set of the "patten pending" high horsepower slp headers, but with what I have ...

Black
    2001Ws6 TransAm

I was thinking of getting a set of the "patten pending" high horsepower slp headers, but with what I have read about them Kooks seems to be the choice.

What is the general ideas about the Hooker headers?

I to have had good service from SLP, and it was slp that I bought my first upgrades. I thank we should give them their props for what they have done.
    We are car enthuist and all good and bad info should be taken with the eye and ear of the hobbiest.
    2001WS6 T/A slp lid, smooth bellows, Taylor Thundervolt wires, Bosch+4, Vig 3200 stall, BM trans cooler, SLP 3" Y-pipe, 3" corsa catback, preditor custom tune by RWTD, 275/17BFG'S. 1976T/A 455-4spd-3:42

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Thunda View Post
    I was thinking of getting a set of the "patten pending" high horsepower slp headers, but with what I have read about them Kooks seems to be the choice.
    Give QTP's a look also...........they have served me well.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    Give QTP's a look also...........they have served me well.
    i am trying to find a used pair of qtp's so i can finally get my qtp y-pipe out of my f'in garage

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Thunda View Post

What is the general ideas about the Hooker headers?

I to have had good service from SLP, and it was slp that I bought my first upgrades. I thank we should give them their props for what they have done.
    We are car enthuist and all good and bad info should be taken with the eye and ear of the hobbiest.
    anybody thats a hobbyist knows slp hasnt done all that much.
    they mainly copied other companies designs for aftermarket parts.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I dont own an ls1 yet, but have been deeply into the engine and the cars for a long time, that being said i've heard nothing but great things about how fantastic QTP and KOOKS long tube headers are. I have also heard way more bad things about SLP then good, and even for the guys that get what they feel is good customer service, they still bought rebadged GM truck parts or gimmicks for the most part. The 85 MM MAF is a total waste of money, the smooth bellows too. I would love for all the guys that bought slp short blocks to chime in on all the problems they've had.

Looks at LUOS pic of his SLP headers, if i remember correctly they were only on his car a year when that pic was taken. Thats quality to you guys? Hell ever hear an slp exhaust on a mustang? sounds like pure shit.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    I dont own an ls1 yet, but have been deeply into the engine and the cars for a long time, that being said i've heard nothing but great things about how fantastic QTP and KOOKS long tube headers are. I have also heard way more bad things about SLP then good, and even for the guys that get what they feel is good customer service, they still bought rebadged GM truck parts or gimmicks for the most part. The 85 MM MAF is a total waste of money, the smooth bellows too. I would love for all the guys that bought slp short blocks to chime in on all the problems they've had.

Looks at LUOS pic of his SLP headers, if i remember correctly they were only on his car a year when that pic was taken. Thats quality to you guys? Hell ever hear an slp exhaust on a mustang? sounds like pure shit.
    Last time I checked, my SLP hood, wing, and ram-air box were never made by General Motors.

Like I said, i've bought many items from SLP over the years...starting back in the mid-late '90's when SLP was pretty much the only aftermarket we had for the 3rd and 4th gen fuel-injected F-bodies...while Mustang enthusiasts had dozens of companies to choose from. I can say that i've had less than pleasant experiences with other companies - but not SLP. I can only speak for myself though. Also, their Firehawks and Super Sport Camaros will be amongst the most sought after F-bodies in the next couple decades, so those guys atleast did two things right.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Last time I checked, my SLP hood, wing, and ram-air box were never made by General Motors.

Like I said, i've bought many items from SLP over the years...starting back in the mid-late '90's when SLP was pretty much the only aftermarket we had for the 3rd and 4th gen fuel-injected F-bodies...while Mustang enthusiasts had dozens of companies to choose from. I can say that i've had less than pleasant experiences with other companies - but not SLP. I can only speak for myself though. Also, their Firehawks and Super Sport Camaros will be amongst the most sought after F-bodies in the next couple decades, so those guys atleast did two things right.
    thought gm made the ss hood and spoilers????? were they not painted right from the factory? many ss's were NOT sent to slp...only slp ss's

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    thought gm made the ss hood and spoilers????? were they not painted right from the factory? many ss's were NOT sent to slp...only slp ss's
    SLP designed the original SS Hood - not GM. GM basically 'hired' Street Legal Performance to create the SS and Firehawk, similar to how Ford created their "Special Vehicles Team" (or SVT) to produce the Mustang Cobra.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

SLP designed the original SS Hood - not GM. GM basically 'hired' Street Legal Performance to create the SS and Firehawk, similar to how Ford created their "Special Vehicles Team" (or SVT) to produce the Mustang Cobra.
    gotcha....news to me..cool...i thought gm designed the ss hood and spoiler....if this is true slp def did somthign right

so the firehawk hood is slp then im sure?? but the ws6 must be gm then right??

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    gotcha....news to me..cool...i thought gm designed the ss hood and spoiler....if this is true slp def did somthign right

so the firehawk hood is slp then im sure?? but the ws6 must be gm then right??
    Your right. The WS6 is all Pontiac.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    One year on the car.
    Fair weather driver.

My Kooks now have 3 seasons on them (10K miles) and they look damn near the same as when I bought them.

Your right. The WS6 is all Pontiac.
    LT1 WS.6 was done up by SLP
    LS1 WS.6 was done up by ASC Global.
    Last edited by Mr. Luos; 08-26-2008 at 04:53 PM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

The ws6 hood is all ASC. SVT is a FORD performance division

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    General Motors.
    Your WS6 yes,,,,the SS camaro's not exactly,,,especially the SLP optioned cars.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    i bought my car from a Pontiac dealership which in turn gets the cars from General Motors.
    SLP didnt make the car, GM did and allowed them to make generally minor changes.
    Common,,,are you guys that oblivious???? I'm talking about the SS camaro's,,,especially the SLP optioned cars.

I didn't think I had to spell it out,,,,it goes without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    i believe he was referring to the ss and the firehawk, although gm made the cars, slp in my personal opinion made them rare and more enjoyable, yeah the z28 and the ss were damn their the same thing, maybe the same power, same et shit probably even pull equal g's on the skid pad lacking the 275. butt owning a late model ss, take mine for ex, 02 ss m6, 345 package, cme , floor mats deck mat, dash plaque key fobs, zr1's and the car cover that it came with is a more desirable and to me a more enjoyable car to own and drive. that's what its all about here, making the customer happy and satisfied, well all the hard to find parts, the hood and spoiler all the z guys are after, the cme everyone is after, the wheels and the blackwing lid everyone is after gives me piece of mind that my slp optioned ss was worth the extra dough.
    Thank you sir,,,yes thats exactly what I was referring too,,,,,

See guys,,,someone here got it without having to explain it,,,,,

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    One year on the car.
    Fair weather driver.

My Kooks now have 3 seasons on them (10K miles) and they look damn near the same as when I bought them.

LT1 WS.6 was done up by SLP
    LS1 WS.6 was done up by ASC Global.
    I'm aware of ASC Global with the LS1 Ram-Air T/A's, but are you sure SLP was behind the '96-97 WS6??? If so, I just learned something new!
    I thought SLP's only addition to the LT1 line-up was the Firehawk?
    Last edited by N20LT4; 08-26-2008 at 08:45 PM.

red
    1999 Firehawk

I'm aware of ASC Global with the LS1 Ram-Air T/A's, but are you sure SLP was behind the '96-97 WS6??? If so, I just learned something new!
    I thought SLP's only addition to the LT1 line-up was the Firehawk?
    My understanding is SLP had alot to do with bringing the WS6 to market. Whether you like SLP or not they proved to GM that there is a market for upgraded performance cars.

If it weren't for a company like SLP for GM to offload low production run performace cars the only performance car might have been the Corvette. GM didn't think there was enough interest in fast F-bodies, they even thought of turning them into 4cylinder cars.

I'm not argueing their quality or customer service, jut saying in a time when nobody was going to touch a brand new federal emissions car and offer it thru a dealership SLP stepped up and proved it could be done.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

And I quote from the new SLP catalog I just received in the mail:

"SLP Performance Guarantee"

"SLP guarntees that its headers, y-pipes, and exhaust systems will outperform any other currently available product of the same configuration, tube size, material, and intended application-or your money back! Certain restrictions apply. Call for details."

How's that for a statement!
    Last edited by fxgs; 08-30-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Here it is, straight from the pages, click the image for a larger version:
    Last edited by fxgs; 12-23-2008 at 08:33 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information