Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Why no SLP

This is a discussion on Why no SLP within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by camarojunky74 btw for whoever said i hope slp goes bankrupt. i think it was preston, 1 half ...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post

btw for whoever said i hope slp goes bankrupt. i think it was preston, 1 half of slp did. due to the end of the f car, now only slp performance parts division is still open, the reason a lot of hard to find parts are becoming so expensive and hard to find. ie. blackwing lids's cme tips and valances. and many many other things.

Won't be satisfactory to me until they are 100% out of business.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Where are you getting your info??

My Kooks 1 7/8" fit MUCH better into my car than those SLP piles ever did.
    from my garage. and really? ive had the exact opposite, i love the kooks, dont get me wrong, but for thier time the slp lt's made great power and did hang low but didnt rub or interfere with the k member like the kooks

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Won't be satisfactory to me until they are 100% out of business.
    could you summarize what happened to you?

i hear lots of trash being talked about slp. they are truly great guys and very helpfull to me. i had a problem with a stb. i sent it back, got 1 back and the same thing happened, they refunded me my money. i ended up repainting the cracked ends, no harm no foul. i got a call from joey over their letting me know all of this very quickly and very freindly, i would consider the guys over at slp true loyalists and an asset to my hobby in late model f body's.

btw for whoever said i hope slp goes bankrupt. i think it was preston, 1 half of slp did. due to the end of the f car, now only slp performance parts division is still open, the reason a lot of hard to find parts are becoming so expensive and hard to find. ie. blackwing lids's cme tips and valances. and many many other things.

as for the slp lt's they were a hit back in thier time, i can tell you yeah they hang low, but 1 thing is for sure, you dont have to grind into your k member to get them to fit. cough cough... kooks. and their 1 7/8's headers, forget it.
    I'm with ya camarojunky. I'm sure people have had a bad experience or 2 with many companies,,,but ya,,,, I find it as strange as you to see so many SLP haters around here. I've never had an issue with them at all, love the products as well.
    I agree it's sad that many parts are becoming very difficult to locate now,,,and it's driving the price up. It comes with age I guess,,,and it makes these special cars even more desirable as time goes on. As I mentioned before,,,,if it weren't for SLP,,,many of us wouldn't even have some of these great cars that everyone loves...gotta remember where they come from.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    gotta remember where they come from.
    General Motors.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Are the kooks headers tuned equal length ? How about Pace Setters ? The only bad thing I've ever heard about SLP was that their headers hung kinda low but if its all-out performance you want there's a price to pay for tuned equal length headers . Even then its usually only a problem if these complainers lower there cars to look pretty !

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

So why does SLP claim their new non-tuned length headers make more power than the tuned length ones?
    The material SLP used was sub-par as well.

I'll keep my Kooks.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

So why does SLP claim their new non-tuned length headers make more power than the tuned length ones?
    The material SLP used was sub-par as well.

I'll keep my Kooks.
    Tube dia. probably . Again , are your high dollar kook's equal length & tuned ? Well , if you mean sub-par in that they weren't stainless , ok . I believe there was a header shoot-out performed by one of the car mags between all the available header manufacture's back a few years ago .

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Tube dia. probably . Again , are your high dollar kook's equal length & tuned ? Well , if you mean sub-par in that they weren't stainless , ok . I believe there was a header shoot-out performed by one of the car mags between all the available header manufacture's back a few years ago .
    your obviously speaking w/o much knowhow on this subject.....tube dia? u can get the kooks in 1 3/4th 17/8 or 2 and theres options to get stepped headers.....the slp only come in 1 3/4ths.....and larger size isnt always better......depends on the application..........cheapest place to buy kooks guys? AR's with cats 1 7/8 are 1369........last i was looking at kooks they were a few hund more

pewter

hands down those old style slp headers are JUNK JUNK JUNK.......shit quality, over priced, and they hang way to low..............even IF and its a big IF they gained a few hp more than the competition there still not worth it for the above mentioned reasons..........im highly doubtful they gain more than kooks, qtp, or AR though and fitment, quality, and price are all better than slp

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I do not believe the Kooks are equal lengths.
    I would still happily put them up against the SLP headers.

I can't access the SLP site right now...but I swear they are all the same diameter. 1 3/4"

pewter

one would expect MUCH more out of slp since theyve been working on these cars for so long...........since day ONE.....they should have an edge on every other company out there.........instead they decided to rip ppl off and sell them shit.....use the slp name for sales and make rediculous hp claims

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Daaayum ! Chill out dude . From your rant I would suggest getting some professional help real quick .

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Daaayum ! Chill out dude . From your rant I would suggest getting some professional help real quick .

haha nah im goood..im at work so yoour my entertainment!!!!.....your comparing headers w/o having knowing much about the ones your comparing is all.......prolly not a good idea to make an argument w/o at least knowing the specs right?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    if it weren't for SLP,,,many of us wouldn't even have some of these great cars that everyone loves...gotta remember where they come from.
    i bought my car from a Pontiac dealership which in turn gets the cars from General Motors.
    SLP didnt make the car, GM did and allowed them to make generally minor changes.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Sound related....they create RASP!!

Quality is pretty much trash.

SLP vs. Kooks
    Click for full size
    Just look at the shape and design of the SLP headers, tuned length or not with as many and how dramatic the bends in the primaries are you cannot get as much volume or velocity out of them as you could the kooks, even if the kooks had the same tube diameter.

I thought every one agreed that back pressure was a myth? So why would a tuned length header that supposedly equalizes pressure be any better than headers that are not?

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i believe he was referring to the ss and the firehawk, although gm made the cars, slp in my personal opinion made them rare and more enjoyable, yeah the z28 and the ss were damn their the same thing, maybe the same power, same et shit probably even pull equal g's on the skid pad lacking the 275. butt owning a late model ss, take mine for ex, 02 ss m6, 345 package, cme , floor mats deck mat, dash plaque key fobs, zr1's and the car cover that it came with is a more desirable and to me a more enjoyable car to own and drive. that's what its all about here, making the customer happy and satisfied, well all the hard to find parts, the hood and spoiler all the z guys are after, the cme everyone is after, the wheels and the blackwing lid everyone is after gives me piece of mind that my slp optioned ss was worth the extra dough.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

i believe he was referring to the ss and the firehawk, although gm made the cars, slp in my personal opinion made them rare and more enjoyable, yeah the z28 and the ss were damn their the same thing, maybe the same power, same et shit probably even pull equal g's on the skid pad lacking the 275. butt owning a late model ss, take mine for ex, 02 ss m6, 345 package, cme , floor mats deck mat, dash plaque key fobs, zr1's and the car cover that it came with is a more desirable and to me a more enjoyable car to own and drive. that's what its all about here, making the customer happy and satisfied, well all the hard to find parts, the hood and spoiler all the z guys are after, the cme everyone is after, the wheels and the blackwing lid everyone is after gives me piece of mind that my slp optioned ss was worth the extra dough.
    Amen!

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    Amen!
    checked out your car bro, that thing is sick, i love what you have done with you pedals and gauges, very classy yet just different enough to look amazing.
    i would like to see your car on some chrome zr1's i think it will work perfect. but your car is down right sexy, how about posting some larger pics of it, i love the blackwing, mine is off and in my room as to not get damaged or fade

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Thanx. GM High Tech Performance Magazine just did a photo shoot and interviewed me. The issue should be out in the next couple of months.

]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information