Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Why no SLP

This is a discussion on Why no SLP within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The reason the SLP longtube looks so weird compared to Kooks or other longtubes is because SLP is the only ...

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro SS

The reason the SLP longtube looks so weird compared to Kooks or other longtubes is because SLP is the only brand that makes a true equal length header. It's supposed to actually create perfect airflow and balance the air better than other longtubes.

Their performance may not live up to their claims, but many tuners have actually seen higher numbers out of SLP headers than the others.

So I wouldn't worry about it at all PGH_WS6. Unless you start having clearance issues I'd keep them.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

In my own opinon I would leave those SLPs on there, unless I was going to lower the car. All decent longtubes are very close to the same performance wise. No point in doing somthing twice, no matter how much trash you get from everyone....

10's N/A

I can attest to that. Yes their claims are crazy, but i've never actually heard anything whatsoever about a lack of performance (i.e. power), as with majority of headers are all pretty close to each other from a performance aspect.

As per their customer service, I have dealt with SLP on many occassions over the past decade with not a single bad experience to name. The last thing I purchased from them was my SS hood & wing in December of last year and things wen't smooth as usual.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas'02SS View Post
    The reason the SLP longtube looks so weird compared to Kooks or other longtubes is because SLP is the only brand that makes a true equal length header. It's supposed to actually create perfect airflow and balance the air better than other longtubes.
    And creating the raspiest sound on the planet....

http://home.comcast.net/~mrluos/raspy.wmv

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    And creating the raspiest sound on the planet....

http://home.comcast.net/~mrluos/raspy.wmv
    This may be true! haha. I've never had personal experience with them. You could probably get some of the rasp out by putting a bullet or two in the pipes...

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I'm guessing they probably based those gains off of a built heads/cam car with......stock manifolds before the long-tubes???
    thats me thats me!!!!! i hope soo..lol

If it makes you feel any better PGH,,,,I like SLP. I have never had any problems dealing with them. Products have always been great for me too.

Shucks if it weren't for SLP,,,,we wouldn't have some of these great cars to begin with. People need to keep in mind that SLP is the modern day version of Don Yenko, Motion Performance, Spalding Dodge, Nickey Chevrolet,,,,all of which gave us some great cars back in the 60's and 70's over and beyond what the factory offered. SLP is doing that today,,,been doing it since the 80's and came out with some cool and rare auto's.
    And there doin' it with the EPA breathing down their necks,,,something that put the others out of business a long time ago.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If it makes you feel any better PGH,,,,I like SLP. I have never had any problems dealing with them. Products have always been great for me too.

Shucks if it weren't for SLP,,,,we wouldn't have some of these great cars to begin with. People need to keep in mind that SLP is the modern day version of Don Yenko, Motion Performance, Spalding Dodge, Nickey Chevrolet,,,,all of which gave us some great cars back in the 60's and 70's over and beyond what the factory offered. SLP is doing that today,,,been doing it since the 80's and came out with some cool and rare auto's.
    And there doin' it with the EPA breathing down their necks,,,something that put the others out of business a long time ago.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
    +1000! They definitely deserve some credit, especially for creating such beautiful cars that most of us seem to admire (cough...Camaro SS...cough...Firehawk).

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

So they re-badged stock GM cars?
    And added a hood.

Performance wise...they did very little for these cars.
    Looks wise...they improved them.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Enjoy it while it lasts.
    what are you talking about, SLP didnt modify the motors on these cars nor did they change them out like above mentioned did.
    the biggest power adder slp put on was an aftermarket exhaust (just catback)
    SLP is nowhere near to being known as a yenko car and never will.
    changing a hood, spoiler, rims and some suspension work doesnt make you a legend. (makes you more of a ricer)

now you want a modern day yenko, take a look at carl blacks cars.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    what are you talking about, SLP didnt modify the motors on these cars nor did they change them out like above mentioned did.
    changing a hood, spoiler, rims and some suspension work doesnt make you a legend. (makes you more of a ricer)

LMAO! Please elaborate.

From now on I consider all Camaro Super Sports 'ricers'.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    LMAO! Please elaborate.

From now on I consider all Camaro Super Sports 'ricers'.
    lol

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ricer

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post

LOL you missed my whole point. But if you want to quabble then as a matter of fact,,,SLP did and has modified the motors in alot of different F-bodies. Remember the Firehawks of the late 80's and early 90's??? They did indeed install specifically made intake manifolds, camshafts, headers etc....on those old tune port motors.

Besides, whether they modified motors or not was not the point. Maybe I should rephrase it a bit.....

They "resemble" Don Yenko, Motion, and Nickey simply because they do modify cars in ways that GM does not offer,,,,,and thats the key. Whether it's motor or cosmetic it really doesn't matter. What does matter is that it does in fact make these cars unique and collectable over and beyond what GM was doing. Plain and simple.

They deserve credit where credit is due. I for one am glad they are doing what they are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    So they re-badged stock GM cars?
    And added a hood.

Performance wise...they did very little for these cars.
    Looks wise...they improved them.
    Again,,,they have done alot in the performance department,,,as I mentioned above,,,,,the Firehawks of the late 80's early 90's was one of their first attempts with some pretty cool optional engine add ons....

I think some people forget how far back SLP goes and only think of these 4th gens for some odd reason.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

While they are the same company....

The SLP that modded the GM cars is truely a completely different company than the shithole mod company.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

I like SLP. I have never had any problems dealing with them. Products have always been great for me too.
    I ordered reprints of my SLP alteration labels and SLP options label from them the other day and a little later I remembered I forgot to add an item and e-mailed them to see if I could add it to the order so I could save additional shipping charges......they e-mailed me back and said no prob and said they would throw the 2nd item in for no charge. Admittedly, the 2nd item was only a $5 item, but I certainly appreciated it!

P.S. I did mention Mr. Luos's name, so maybe that helped!
    Last edited by fxgs; 08-18-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    P.S. I did mention Mr. Luos's name, so maybe that helped!
    You are SO screwed.

White
    99Trans am

i have lt headers and the lm1 with 2.5in on the y and 3 in on the exhaust and it sounds nice ( in my opionion and experience its raspy with any exhaust when you have no cats and more that 3 in pipeing.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i hear lots of trash being talked about slp. they are truly great guys and very helpfull to me. i had a problem with a stb. i sent it back, got 1 back and the same thing happened, they refunded me my money. i ended up repainting the cracked ends, no harm no foul. i got a call from joey over their letting me know all of this very quickly and very freindly, i would consider the guys over at slp true loyalists and an asset to my hobby in late model f body's.

btw for whoever said i hope slp goes bankrupt. i think it was preston, 1 half of slp did. due to the end of the f car, now only slp performance parts division is still open, the reason a lot of hard to find parts are becoming so expensive and hard to find. ie. blackwing lids's cme tips and valances. and many many other things.

as for the slp lt's they were a hit back in thier time, i can tell you yeah they hang low, but 1 thing is for sure, you dont have to grind into your k member to get them to fit. cough cough... kooks. and their 1 7/8's headers, forget it.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    you dont have to grind into your k member to get them to fit. cough cough... kooks. and their 1 7/8's headers, forget it.
    Where are you getting your info??

My Kooks 1 7/8" fit MUCH better into my car than those SLP piles ever did.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information