Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Why didn't G.M. fit its f bodys to metal instead of plastic

This is a discussion on Why didn't G.M. fit its f bodys to metal instead of plastic within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by LeadFarmer you're looking at the f-body from the wrong perspective, it isn't gm's poster boy sport's car, ...

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    you're looking at the f-body from the wrong perspective, it isn't gm's poster boy sport's car, the corevette is, if you've driven one you'll understand the difference in the price gap between a C5 and an F-body, if all the problems with the fbody didn't exsist how do you think that would affect the sales of vettes? It's mostly marketing strategy. You get what you pay for, and for the price, it really doesn't get much better than a ls1.
    Personally i'm glad GM dumped more money into the motor rather than the interior & exterior(which I think is sexxxy as hell and unmatched to this day in the price range) plus almost all of those small problems can be avoided if the car has been taken care of and not abused, i've never had any of those problems with either of mine. And for the small problems I did have, they were all solved within a few hours of personal labor at the most, this is coming from an 20yr old sport's car noob. Also all that other crap is irrelevant for me, which is why I bought 2 f-bodies, if creature comforts is what you want you bought the wrong car. Plus look at the f-bodie's main competitor the mustang........yeh........all those problems just magically dissapeared didn't they? lol
    Leadfarmer is on the right track. I've never had the issues that Smittro mentions, but we bought 2 of ours new and they've been taken care of. They have always been great cars for us, we are on our 4th one now.
    To me the interiors are pretty plush and comfy, for the simple reason that I'm used to driving hard core 60's muscle cars, some with "taxi cab" like interiors. So to step into a nice cloth interior with wrap around buckets is a big change for me. My wife even enjoys driving hers daily, so that says alot.

I'll admit there are also alot of quirks I don't like. The plastic headlights are cheap, I never was a fan of composite headlights anyway. GM could have done a better job with the rest of the drivetrain bolted to the back of the LS1, even the T56 has weaknesses. Otherwise most of what breaks are typical wear items that is to be expected with a 10-15 year old car. What do people want for such little money? You can buy these things cheap all day long, even nice low mile examples.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

I do agree though there are some flaws, for exmaple IMO the A4 should've never even been an option(this is coming from someone who's owned one), this may be unrealistic of me, but it's a weakpoint along with the 10bolt. Personally I really like my interior. Not bragging or anything but mine has all the upgradable options, leather everything, lumbar controls, t-tops, hurst, yada-yada. So personally I think the interior is really nice, compared with my friends 01 cobra I think it's superior(which btw was this car's competitor for that year), almost all cars of those years had plasticy interiors anyway, not a big deal. Just keep everything inside lubed and oiled up monthly to bi-montly and nothing will ever crack, break, or squeak. I paid 9.5k for mine and honestly for the price nothing even comes close.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

I have a 2000, she has 206k miles on her. I've replaced just about every accessory. Hardest was clutch assembly, next up fuel pump. I drained, replaced, refilled and had my radiator done in one hour, working in the dark at my wife's grandmother's with old scattered tools. I'm proud of myself for that one. On top of that, they gave me one for an auto so I had to plug the lines for tranny cooler. I've had issues with her, but I love the car too much to stay mad... Feel like a polygamist with my two wives to each his own, but I will never give up my SS

Sent from Eye Fone

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Wifey's Grocery Getter
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    I do agree though there are some flaws, for exmaple IMO the A4 should've never even been an option(this is coming from someone who's owned one), this may be unrealistic of me, but it's a weakpoint along with the 10bolt. Personally I really like my interior. Not bragging or anything but mine has all the upgradable options, leather everything, lumbar controls, t-tops, hurst, yada-yada. So personally I think the interior is really nice, compared with my friends 01 cobra I think it's superior(which btw was this car's competitor for that year), almost all cars of those years had plasticy interiors anyway, not a big deal. Just keep everything inside lubed and oiled up monthly to bi-montly and nothing will ever crack, break, or squeak. I paid 9.5k for mine and honestly for the price nothing even comes close.
    The A4 (4L60E) was the only auto at the time, so it really wasn't a choice. I'd much rather prefer the 4L80E but that was just getting started for trucks at that time, and packaging contraints wouldn't allow it.
    A better option that they did on Callaway Corvettes back in the 80's was to install a 400 turbo with a gear vendor unit. Since 700R4's wouldn't handle twin turbos at that time.
    Unfortunately this would have also upped the price on our 4th gens to what was already an expensive car when new (for the time period). Packaging would have again been another issue.

In other words, GM just went with what worked for the time period while keeping cost down.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

yeh it was a marketing strategy, if they'd only sold manuals the 4th gen wouldn't have even made it to 2002, which would've raised the value of em as of now(rarity), which would've killed the ability of people like me being able to ever afford one.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Your forever complaining about your 4th Gen,why did you buy it?

I have owned 5 of these things and they really aren't that hard to work on.
    I agree 100%. Every thread I have seen denegrader start has been a back handed bashing. I am sure there are quite a few mustang guys that would trade him straight across for a nicer, more powerful car.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I agree 100%. Every thread I have seen denegrader start has been a back handed bashing. I am sure there are quite a few mustang guys that would trade him straight across for a nicer, more powerful car.
    Minus the 03-04 cobra guys. I have to admit I would love to have one sitting beside the Camaro in my driveway. No way would I ever trade or sell to get it though.

Sent from Eye Fone

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Minus the 03-04 cobra guys. I have to admit I would love to have one sitting beside the Camaro in my driveway. No way would I ever trade or sell to get it though.

Sent from Eye Fone
    Wouldn't trade mine for a cobra. I've had a Mustang, a Cougar, a Thunderbird, a Bronco, a BroncoII, an F-250, an Expedition, a Gran Torino, and a Probe GT. I've driven Rangers, F-150's, and F-250's for work. Even a couple F-450's. So, plenty of evidence for me to not buy ford anymore. If I got a brand new 5.0 given to me, I would sell it the next day.

I wouldn't, if a brand new 5.0 was given to me I'd be selling my old 4th gen the next day. It's not that I don't like 4th gens, but the new 5.0 has grown leaps and bounds, I'm no dummy. Nothing wrong with Ford, they've done alot of things right, as well as things wrong, just like GM has done.
    I already have a 69 SCJ hiding here in the garage and I'm not ashamed of that (who would be?), a new 5.0 would look good sitting next to it. You can see the resemblance.

My 4th gen sitting next to my 69 Z28 doesn't do anything for me.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Anybody out there who can't stand their 4th gen can feel free to give it to me. Bought mine new and still love it!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

youre in ohio? you should come to Dayton tomorrow and save me....

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

On the edge of Toledo. What are you doing in Dayton?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

my fiances best friend is getting married....we came up for the weekend. she grew up here, her dads a preacher, so we also had a wedding shower for us, thrown at their old church. wedding is in an hour, were headed back out in the morning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information