Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Whining under hood

Since I got my 2002 WS.6, which has 115k miles on it, I hear a whining from under the hood. It gets quieter after the engine gets to operating temperature, but never goes away. It sounds like it is coming from passenger side of engine. I replaced the Drive belt (accessory). I am now going to change the A/C belt, so it is new, but also hoping it might stop the whining. I heard that the Drive Belt Idler Pulley commonly squeeks, but it is not a squeek and is on the other side of engine. Has anybody come across this? How do I fix it? It is driving me crazy. I just want to hear my exhaust without that annoying sound.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

whine tells me power steering pump is slowly dieing on you.....if it was anything else it would be a squeak like you said....but 9/10 times a whine is power steering related

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I think it might actually be a squeal. If it is the power steering, wouldn't it make noises as I turn the wheel or no?

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

it would get louder as you turn the wheel, but also will just make noise constantly

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

The noise doesn't change at all when the wheel is turned. I know what the power steering would sound like, it is not that kinda sound. It pulses with the engine and has a sound like it is moving air. It has to be a spinning, moving part.

silver
    2000 formula

pulleys?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I am thinking pulleys. How do you check to see which pulley is making noise? Do I run the car without the belts for 30 seconds? Or is there a way to check if they are bad with belts off and car off? Will they feel loose or not spin freely? I am not sure.

silver
    2000 formula

the pulleys have no grease left in them....thats why they sequel......I had no patience to track down which 1 it was and replaced all of mine....if 1 is bad...the others cant be far behind

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

They do have 115,000 miles on them. What brand is good? Hayden? Should I buy OE or a different brand?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

The stock replacement pulleys from autozone or wherever should be fine. All the ones Ive bought from them are now made by dayco and are solid steel and look to be better quality than the oem plastic ones.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Dayco? Good looking out. I have a built up high output alternator to handle the 7" pioneer face, 1 300 watt amp for the Boston acustic highs and mids and 1 1000 watt amp for the 3 10" JL Audio subs and capacitor. The alternator might actually be what is making the whining. Which would mean I will have to live with the sound.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I will suggest to get a piece of hose(or stethoscope) and put it close to the pulleys and the tensioners. With that mileage i will replace all the pulleys and tensioners as maitenance but that's just me. With the hose you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I replaced my A/C tensioner and pulley recently. don't forget new belts if needed. To my knowledge alternator shouldn't whine loud unless they are going bad but i never had a high output one.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    The stock replacement pulleys from autozone or wherever should be fine. All the ones Ive bought from them are now made by dayco and are solid steel and look to be better quality than the oem plastic ones.
    that's what I got.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I replaced the Accessory Drive Belt already and just bought a new one for the A/C. I am going to change that this week. I do have a stethoscope, so I will hunt down the noise. I was thinking about just replacing them all too, that way I now they are all new. Knowing myself, after a while, everything on my car might be new.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I've got a squeal to. It came up after changing some parts. My power steering pump went out. While I was looking at it I noticed my tensior was shot and the power steering pump dumped fluid on the alt. Replaced the ps pump and tensioner and cleaned the alt. While I was putting the ps pump on, I noticed the water pump was leaking. Replaced that. Then I had a bad squeal. Couldn't pin point the noise. Sprayed some silcone spray on the belt and it quit, but would come back when the silcone wore off. Put a new belt on and it got a lot better, but still squeals sometimes.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    I've got a squeal to. It came up after changing some parts. My power steering pump went out. While I was looking at it I noticed my tensior was shot and the power steering pump dumped fluid on the alt. Replaced the ps pump and tensioner and cleaned the alt. While I was putting the ps pump on, I noticed the water pump was leaking. Replaced that. Then I had a bad squeal. Couldn't pin point the noise. Sprayed some silcone spray on the belt and it quit, but would come back when the silcone wore off. Put a new belt on and it got a lot better, but still squeals sometimes.
    You may not have installed the PS pulley wheel on far enough. If it doesn't sit in the exact right spot it will make that annoying squeal.

Another possibility the belt is ready to be replaced. Modern Serpentine belts are design to squeal for a while before they fail. Kinda a like how the brakes do when they need changing.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    You may not have installed the PS pulley wheel on far enough. If it doesn't sit in the exact right spot it will make that annoying squeal.

Another possibility the belt is ready to be replaced. Modern Serpentine belts are design to squeal for a while before they fail. Kinda a like how the brakes do when they need changing.
    I had thought about the ps pully. How can you tell if it is all the on.

I replaced the belt and it got a lot better.

Another thing I have thought about is when I cleaned the alt. I might have got cleaner where it shouldn't be.

Since I've changed the belt it is more like a chirp

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    This. I'd replace the belt and see if the noise is goes away. Tensioner next. then where ever from that point.

Keep in mind, if the belt makes the noise go away for a few days, of few weeks, then you def have a bad/misaligned pulley and will need to replace it and the belt again.

Black
    2004 GTO A4

I replaced all my belts and pulleys and I still have a squeal. I am guessing that it's my alternator. I'll let you guys know what happens when I change her out.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by surfinjoe View Post
    I replaced all my belts and pulleys and I still have a squeal. I am guessing that it's my alternator. I'll let you guys know what happens when I change her out.
    Take it to the autoparts store and have them test it, it should squeal on their test equipment if that is the problem. And it's free!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information