Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Whining under hood

This is a discussion on Whining under hood within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Thanks for the idea. If its a bad bearing, how can they test for that? I think you are talking ...

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Thanks for the idea. If its a bad bearing, how can they test for that? I think you are talking about the alternate load test, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Take it to the autoparts store and have them test it, it should squeal on their test equipment if that is the problem. And it's free!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Yes. They can't test the bearing, but they still have to spin the alt, so if it makes a squeal on the testing bench, you found your problem.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Since I've changed the belt it is more like a chirp
    I had the same problem last month couldn't find the damn thing. Turned out both tensioners went bad. After I replaced both no more damn chirping! My daughter's friend (they are both 7) asked "Why your daddys car chirps like a bird?" Mine - "Because it is a Phoenix. See the picture on the front here and he has more here, here and here. Don't you know all birds make that sound?" <<

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I had the same problem last month couldn't find the damn thing. Turned out both tensioners went bad. After I replaced both no more damn chirping! My daughter's friend (they are both 7) asked "Why your daddys car chirps like a bird?" Mine - "Because it is a Phoenix. See the picture on the front here and he has more here, here and here. Don't you know all birds make that sound?" <<
    lmao. good one.

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Ok Guys. So here's my current situation. I have the chirping sound. Changed all 4 pulley's and replaced the belt. Went away for a day, then came back (although much quieter). Got frustrated and took it to the shop. They replaced the belt and it went away for a day, then came back.

I have a new alternator, but am hesitating to put it on. Should I replace both tensioners and see if it goes away?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Tensioner is cheaper, so I would replace it before the alt.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

When I watch my tensioner for the accessory drive while the engine is running, the tensioner loosens up the belt like 1/8" then goes back to original position. It does this every 3-5 seconds. It the tensioned suppose to move like that or should it stay still.

blue
    1999 TransAm

there was a defect way back that GM had a TSB for, i think it was a misaligned, poorly designed idler or tensioner (can't remember which)... anyway, i had the annoying chirp way back, and got it fixed per the TSB, and that solved it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

What do you mean per the TSB?

Black
    2004 GTO A4

What did they do to fix the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    there was a defect way back that GM had a TSB for, i think it was a misaligned, poorly designed idler or tensioner (can't remember which)... anyway, i had the annoying chirp way back, and got it fixed per the TSB, and that solved it.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    What do you mean per the TSB?
    TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

Here is a TSB that might be what he was talking about

BULLETIN NUMBER:
    00-06-01-008

SECTION:
    06 - Engine/Propulsion System

DATE:
    March 2000

TECHNICAL SUBJECT:
    Accessory Drive Belt Squeak/Chirp Noise (Install New Double Row Idler Pulley, Generator Bracket and Serpentine Belt)

MODELS:
    1998-2000 Chevrolet Camaro
    1998-2000 Pontiac Firebird
    Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1)

CONDITION
    Some customers may comment on a squeak/chirp noise coming from the accessory drive serpentine belt. The noise will be most noticeable at idle and low engine speeds.

CAUSE
    The serpentine belt squeak/chirp noise may be caused by misalignment between the idler pulley and crankshaft pulley. A slight rocking motion of the idler pulley causes the misalignment, which results in noise.

CORRECTION
    To correct this condition on vehicles built prior to the above VIN break point, install the new generator bracket, double row idler pulley and serpentine belt following Service Manual procedures.

The new generator bracket can be identified by the depth of the idler pulley mounting pilot. The pilot dimension (2) on the new generator bracket is 10 mm. Dimension (2) on the previous bracket was 8.3 mm.

Double Row Idler Pulley Assembly Part Number: 12563326
    Generator Bracket Part Number: 12563327

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Thanks SMWS6TA. That was very good info. What are the chances that is the same issue for my 2002?

Navy Blue Metallic

It looks like according to the TSB it was mainly for 1998-2000 Chevrolet Camaros and
    1998-2000 Pontiac Firebird Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1)

But that doesn't mean yours can't go bad either. I just posted the TSB that I think he was talking about.

Have you changed any of the tensioners yet?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

No. No not yet. Was making sure I needed to first. Sounds like it might be the problem, although some said they did it and it didn't help. But I have 115k mile on my car, so it wouldn't hurt to change it any way. What brand is he best?

blue
    1999 TransAm

yes, SMWS6TA, found the TSB i was referring to (thanks!). i had this done years ago, and haven't had the chirp problem since (except for one time when the water pump was leaking and fluid on the belt caused noise, but that's a whole other thing).

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by surfinjoe View Post
    What did they do to fix the issue?
    see SMWS6TA's post, #31 - he found the TSB i was talking about. i think they replaced w/ the new bracket and double-row idler pulley. that pretty much solved the noise problem for me!

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    No. No not yet. Was making sure I needed to first. Sounds like it might be the problem, although some said they did it and it didn't help. But I have 115k mile on my car, so it wouldn't hurt to change it any way. What brand is he best?
    I hate to say it but I've been trying to stick to OEM or better with this car.

GMPartsDirect.com (Sponsor)

Serpentine Tensioner, all models, 3.4l, 5.7l 98-02 $53.00
    A/C Tensioner - 5.7 liter 1998-02 $61.99

Now the local parts stores will have them but Autozone is know for cheap crap so beware you may end up replacing it in a yr if you get theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    see SMWS6TA's post, #31 - he found the TSB i was talking about. i think they replaced w/ the new bracket and double-row idler pulley. that pretty much solved the noise problem for me!

If you read the TSB it might not apply to his situation because the TSB was for 98-00, he has a 02
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-14-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I want oem or better as well. I will also check my local auto parts store.

Black
    2004 GTO A4

So here is my update. I chased the whining under my hood to the passenger side valve cover. As it turns out, there was a TON of vacuum in the valve cover, creating a whistle sound. I did have a bad pulley, but once I replaced that I found the whistle sound.

Anyhow, I put a breather cap in place of the oil filler cap and noise is gone. Anyone think that much vacuum is normal?

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by surfinjoe View Post
    So here is my update. I chased the whining under my hood to the passenger side valve cover. As it turns out, there was a TON of vacuum in the valve cover, creating a whistle sound. I did have a bad pulley, but once I replaced that I found the whistle sound.

Anyhow, I put a breather cap in place of the oil filler cap and noise is gone. Anyone think that much vacuum is normal?
    NO!

Have you done any other work? Intake or valve covers?

Check your entire pcv. Follow it all the way around the back side of the intake. It's routing is as follows:

Starts off the rear of the drivers side valve cover, goes behind the intake where it splits into two, one tubing goes to the rear passenger side valve cover, the other continues along the passenger side of the intake where it connects to the pcv then on to the intake just behind the TB on the passenger side.

I'm thinking your pcv has come off the passenger valve cover and that could be what is causing your vacuum leak or your oil cap has failed and is letting air go through it. If is has a small crack in it, it will make a whistle sound.

Notice any unexplained oil leaks around the oil cap; along or back of the intake?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information