15 various corvettes

Where to get high flow cats?

The car has no cats, and is still way too loud with the headers. Where could I get some cats? Thanks.
    Last edited by meadowz06; 09-13-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Maroon
    2000 z28 6 speed

Id start at your local Humane society, or check online possibly craigslist people give cats away all the time!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I've got some high flow cats for sale if you want them. Go to this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144199 and it's the 7th post down that has the pictures.

15 various corvettes

Thanks for the replies.

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I have on order a Random Technology Cat and Y-Pipe system, should be here and installed in a few weeks, Once installed and I get it in and out of CAlifornia Smog station,,I will post my results,,I hope the 600 bucks will be worth it,,(it seems I cant get anyone to weld in some after market cats in my area with out giving me a liberal probing of where I bought them and all...I was forced to go this way with a bolt in system. They are high flow cats that fit into a larger than stock y-pipe,,Hope there is no fitment issues,,,I hope that is,,Smetimes I wish I did not live in california simply do to there amazing smog laws,,

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

PLEASE keep it simple: Go to ebay and purchase the high flow cats here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Thund...Q5fAccessories

I did and the rasp is now under control and runs excellent!!! Remember, the LS1 likes a little back pressure............

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

More to the point: Why have any cats at all?????
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    PLEASE keep it simple: Go to ebay and purchase the high flow cats here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Thund...Q5fAccessories

I did and the rasp is now under control and runs excellent!!! Remember, the LS1 likes a little back pressure............
    That's an outright fallacy! No ICE likes back pressure. If it were true then top fuel cars would have a muffler to help them make more torque/horsepower...

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

PLEASE keep it simple: Go to ebay and purchase the high flow cats here: link removed

Two things:
    1. Watch out linking to non-sponsors- that's a no-no in these parts.
    2. Those cats are okay- those were the ones that came in my catted Y pipe and I hit a rediculously tall speedbump which barely dented the cat. Because of where it hit the ceramic broke loose inside the cat. I'm having to gut the cats because the guy who made the pipe has now fallen off the planet.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    Two things:
    1. Watch out linking to non-sponsors- that's a no-no in these parts.
    2. Those cats are okay- those were the ones that came in my catted Y pipe and I hit a rediculously tall speedbump which barely dented the cat. Because of where it hit the ceramic broke loose inside the cat. I'm having to gut the cats because the guy who made the pipe has now fallen off the planet.
    Oh......My bad everyone. I was simply trying to help this guy out with the setup I experienced from ebay. Sorry about that.........

Oh and 67CamaroRSSS.....you may be correct on your point there; I read on a Camaro Magazine article and other reads that the LS1 likes some backpressure. You would figure people who have experience with our vehicles would be correct, especially if quoted in a magazine LS1ers read. Perhaps not. But hey, what do I know, I just love LS1's!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

I bought my cats from these guys and they were great to deal with!

I did in fact go with the slightly more expensive metallic content cats they sell as i had to ship to the UK and i just wanted a more sure result if i should hit any bumps. They fitted fine and i would recommend them !!

Trev... )

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Oh......My bad everyone. I was simply trying to help this guy out with the setup I experienced from ebay. Sorry about that.........

Oh and 67CamaroRSSS.....you may be correct on your point there; I read on a Camaro Magazine article and other reads that the LS1 likes some backpressure. You would figure people who have experience with our vehicles would be correct, especially if quoted in a magazine LS1ers read. Perhaps not. But hey, what do I know, I just love LS1's!
    I've had my wrist slapped once before for linking to an eBay seller, so just a heads up. (sorry, no "wrist slapping smilies available!)

All cars like a little backpressure to create low end torque. Too little backpressure on a street car and all your power is towards to top of the power curve. You're both correct- top fuel cars produce tons of power but stay at the top of their power band through a run. Typically normal street driving you need power in the lower and middle of the curve. That's where a cutout comes in. Not just for the noise factor, but to shift the power band when you drag race. The problem with stock exhaust is that it creates too much backpressure and doesn't allow the exhaust gasses to escape fast enough. This chokes the engine and lessens the power it can create because it doesn't get enough clean air/fuel in the combustion chamber.

Think of it like a straw. If you try to drink through a coffee stirrer, you'll exert a whole lot of energy to get very little soda. If you try to drink through a 2" peice of PVC pipe you'll never get the soda up the straw. It takes just the right size straw to get the optimium amount of soda with the least amount of effort.

At least thats the way I've always understood it.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    I've had my wrist slapped once before for linking to an eBay seller, so just a heads up. (sorry, no "wrist slapping smilies available!)

All cars like a little backpressure to create low end torque. Too little backpressure on a street car and all your power is towards to top of the power curve. You're both correct- top fuel cars produce tons of power but stay at the top of their power band through a run. Typically normal street driving you need power in the lower and middle of the curve. That's where a cutout comes in. Not just for the noise factor, but to shift the power band when you drag race. The problem with stock exhaust is that it creates too much backpressure and doesn't allow the exhaust gasses to escape fast enough. This chokes the engine and lessens the power it can create because it doesn't get enough clean air/fuel in the combustion chamber.

Think of it like a straw. If you try to drink through a coffee stirrer, you'll exert a whole lot of energy to get very little soda. If you try to drink through a 2" peice of PVC pipe you'll never get the soda up the straw. It takes just the right size straw to get the optimium amount of soda with the least amount of effort.

At least thats the way I've always understood it.

Good Answer!!!!! Now THAT makes ALOT of SENSE!!!!! Your such a diplomat!!!! By the way, I love LS1's!

Thread Information