Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

What tools, etc is required for LT headers?

Just curious the bolt sizes and everything required so I can set up everything before hand. I'd rather not have to look for all the tools and everything I need after we are halfway through the job or take longer than it needs to be.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

[QUOTE=sunsetorangess;1773451]Wd-40
    10mm Rachet wrench, makes life easier or just wrench and socket
    Breaker bar
    7/8 wrench for 02 sensor
    Extensions, Universal joint or swivel
    Thats all i can remember...
    Jack and jack stands
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Arctic White
    1999 SS Camaro

Most important tool, Lots of patience, I installed SLP 1 3/4 LT's on mine and its tighter than fish pussy in there. I had to take mine off and put them back on 3 times, before getting it right, but worth the effort. I picked up about 38 Hp at the crank w/o cats (per the dyno) Mine took about 10 hrs on a Saturday and 4 hrs on a Sunday. If you're NOT running cats you will have to pull the O2 sensors and clean them about every 5k miles because they get covered in black carbon, the Air fuel mix gets off from using the SLP headers and the carbon on the O2's will trip the "check engine soon" light, telling you its time to clean them again. No problem though, ez enough to fix though, just spray them with starting fluid, put them back in and go.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

5/8 Spark Plug Socket.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Thanks guys exactly what I needed. And why the spark plug socket? And I found out I possibly needed to take off the starter. Hopefully these DPT Motorsport headers fit correctly without hassle.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Thanks guys exactly what I needed. And why the spark plug socket? And I found out I possibly needed to take off the starter. Hopefully these DPT Motorsport headers fit correctly without hassle.
    Taking the spark plugs out...it's almost necessary to do so when doing a header swap.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Taking the spark plugs out...it's almost necessary to do so when doing a header swap.
    even if its not necessary for the header install, you would be crazy not to actually replace them while you're working

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Well I just replaced them 300 miles ago so I think I'm good on them. So I have to take out the spark plugs to get the headers off? Whats required to get the actual headers off? Take off the coil packs? Just so I know so we dont gotta waste our time with anything. I'd rather know everything required then to have to run into something.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Well I just replaced them 300 miles ago so I think I'm good on them. So I have to take out the spark plugs to get the headers off? Whats required to get the actual headers off? Take off the coil packs? Just so I know so we dont gotta waste our time with anything. I'd rather know everything required then to have to run into something.
    I didn't mean change them, just take them out before the swap and put them back in when the LTs are on.

What headers are you using? Pacesetters are supposedly the easiest (no moving the engine, etc.) to install...they slipped right in for me.

The coil packs stay in...you remove and install the stock exhaust manifold and LT Headers through the bottom. You need to jack your car up really high or use a frame lift.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

I got those DPT Motorsport Ebay headers.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

No need to remove the starter. You don't have to pull the coil packs, but it really helps give you some hand room. Next time I do it I will pull them to save some knuckles. More tools:

-a variety of basic wrenches and sockets for the cat bolts, tunnel brace, dipstick tube bolt, etc.
    -a couple zip ties to tie up the O2 sensor wires.
    -tube of anti-seize for the header bolts
    -Aluminum exhaust tape to seal the joints and prevent leaks in the Y pipe and header joints (optional)
    -a buddy - bribe one if you have to... really makes the whole job much easier

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Never heard of the brand but it shouldnt matter which head you go with as far as getting them up in there. Iv instailed pacesetters,hookers, and qtp's with no issues, no removing the starter or tweakin the motor. Pullin the plugs is a good idea although i never do. Just be careful when you slide the headers in there.
    J

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    No need to remove the starter. You don't have to pull the coil packs, but it really helps give you some hand room. Next time I do it I will pull them to save some knuckles. More tools:

-a variety of basic wrenches and sockets for the cat bolts, tunnel brace, dipstick tube bolt, etc.
    -a couple zip ties to tie up the O2 sensor wires.
    -tube of anti-seize for the header bolts
    -Aluminum exhaust tape to seal the joints and prevent leaks in the Y pipe and header joints (optional)
    -a buddy - bribe one if you have to... really makes the whole job much easier
    My dad is helping me. He is a pro with modding cars. He has a 71 mustang fastback that he is trying to sell that has like 660HP. The 351 cleveland. Anyways he just wanted to know everything required since he has been outta the game since I was born. He rarely works on cars nowadays. Just to make his job easier since I dunno wtf I am doing. He is there to guide and help me pretty much so I learn for next time.

Red
    2001 ws6

haha me and my dad will be doing the same in april once it gets nice here in NY and the car comes outta the garage

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

im puting some tsp lt's on my ta now also. do any of you know if i have to remove any of the heat shelds or notch the k-member?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

when I did my pacesetters many years ago I had to cut the casting plug off the block on the drivers side. I also had to remove the starter. If you don't take your spark plugs out make sure you don't bang them with the headers and crack the ceramic on them...pretty easy to do.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    im puting some tsp lt's on my ta now also. do any of you know if i have to remove any of the heat shelds or notch the k-member?
    not familiar with those but the heat shields should be fine...they hug up tight to the body. I seriously doubt you'll have to notch the k-member too.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

ok thanks. they sead they fit like the pasestters and i saw a link on ls1tech that thay had to cut the k-member to fit them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    ok thanks. they sead they fit like the pasestters and i saw a link on ls1tech that thay had to cut the k-member to fit them.
    some people have had to do that.... I didn't. Mine clear the k-member fine but where I ran into issues was the casting plug on the side of the block. After I cut that off they went right up in there. I think too that the header companies get better as the years progress and update their designs to get around these little issues. I helped someone put QTP's on and they went right in with no issues.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

good deal i hope mine go in like that to ill try to put them on here in a bit today.

Thread Information