What Style and Size Cat To Get

This is a discussion on What Style and Size Cat To Get within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; First off, I am picky. I am trying to pick the right cat that will make sure I have no ...

Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

What Style and Size Cat To Get

First off, I am picky. I am trying to pick the right cat that will make sure I have no rasp and give me the burbliest tone. I already bought Pacesetter LTs and ORY for my 1993 LT1. I will be putting the cat on the end of the ORY. I have been looking at the spun metallic cats but am worried that they are too small to make as big a difference as I am looking for. I have also been looking at Mangaflow full size cats, but don't really know if they are high-flow or whether there is a big difference (performance and sound) between a 13" long cat vs a 16" long one.

I love the sound of a muscle car with cats on it, it always seems more burbly then when the cats are taken off - hence why I am trying to put them on. I have an Edelbrock SDT chambered muffler which sounds a great deal better then a flowmaster while getting rid of the rasp that is sometimes present in Flows...

So, the question is: In your opinion, is small high-flow spun metallic cat enough to minimize the rasp as much as possible and give me my sound, or do I need a full size cat?

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Hi Shudson105.
    I'm sorry no one has responded to your thread. As far as answering your thread is concerned, I honestly don't know. The only suggestion I have, and it probably isn't a very good one, is to go to this website. LS1 Sounds - Your Comprehensive Exhaust Resource. It is a really cool sight where you can pick a bunch of different combinations of mufflers, cats and y-pipes, and headers. And people have even recorded several types of cams. I hope you can at least hear people out there in the world have put together.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

As a general rule a catalytic converter robs performance it does'nt add any.

Many either remove them, or gut them in the case where particular states do visual emissions equiptment inspections.

With that said, what is the diameter of your ORY?

Usually you want to match diameters of your exhaust system, smaller diameters will sometimes hurt performance more than a larger one.

Also many times people will go with a high flow cat instead of gutting/removing because maybe their state does the sniffer test.

As far as sound goes, generally you'd usually control rasp with muffler type, not the cat type, but that's not to say it does'nt play a part.

Many factors can contribute to rasp, from pipe diameters, to "Y" or "x" pipe design, flow and so forth.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by cowstandmoto View Post
    Hi Shudson105.
    I'm sorry no one has responded to your thread. As far as answering your thread is concerned, I honestly don't know. The only suggestion I have, and it probably isn't a very good one, is to go to this website. LS1 Sounds - Your Comprehensive Exhaust Resource. It is a really cool sight where you can pick a bunch of different combinations of mufflers, cats and y-pipes, and headers. And people have even recorded several types of cams. I hope you can at least hear people out there in the world have put together.
    The LS1 produces a much different sound than the LT1 small block chevy..

Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

Thanks for replys!

SMITTRO: I ended up find out what I needed to know the long, hard and expensive way My first try (last week) was Pacesetter LTs, a 3" catted Y with two Magnaflow full size high flow ceramic cats into my Edelbrock SDT muffler. My goal was to keep the same sound level I had, but add burble. In reality, the car was way too quiet and sounded funny - like it was too tame, it was actually worse then using the factory manifolds! This week I took it back, had the cats chopped off and got my aggressive sound back, but now (at least with this Edelbrock SDT muffler) I got some rasp, though nowhere near what a LM or muffler-less car sounds like. The sound is at least unique; it sorta sounds like an old fox-body mustang when low-speed driving but opens up very aggressively as soon as I press down on the gas pedal. At WOT it sounds NASCAR-ish. It also pops and pings when I let off the gas at high-speed.

COWSTANDMOTO: I did spend a lot of time on LS1Sounds and youtube. The sound I was hoping to come close to is the snarl of a Noble M600, and I think I finally found it after spending a bunch of money. I think I need to replace my Edelbrock and get a Hooker Aerochamber. Like Smittro said, I should control the sound with the muffler, not the cat (unless you want it smooth and quiet, which is what 2 full size cats does).

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

As far as sound goes, generally you'd usually control rasp with muffler type, not the cat type, but that's not to say it does'nt play a part.

Many factors can contribute to rasp, from pipe diameters, to "Y" or "x" pipe design, flow and so forth.
    I just did a full long tube with resonators and a Magna Flow cat back, I get a raspy sound right at 3,000rpm and it drives me crazy!! I love the sound of the Magna Flow it is deep but when you start driving and hit 3grand it starts...it sounds to me it is coming from the driverside pipe in the Y...anyone have this??

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

I dont know in the case of a LT1 but Im running x-pipe/true duals setups on both my camaros and i have no rasp what se ever and no cats. May work on a LT1 idk. Youtube it.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by matt evans View Post
    I dont know in the case of a LT1 but Im running x-pipe/true duals setups on both my camaros and i have no rasp what se ever and no cats. May work on a LT1 idk. Youtube it.
    I was talking about a LS1. Sounds badass when sitting there cracking the gas but soon as it hits 3g's it gets a truck rasp? My buddy said you can't hear it from behind but I hear it. Like I said sound like coming from right under my ass!

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

I know the rasp you speak of. I hear it alot with loudmouth and borla catbacks. Both my cars are the ls1's and we just did true duals and x-pipe on my buddies TA out the back and its clean all through the rpm band.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by matt evans View Post
    I know the rasp you speak of. I hear it alot with loudmouth and borla catbacks. Both my cars are the ls1's and we just did true duals and x-pipe on my buddies TA out the back and its clean all through the rpm band.
    I wonder if the rasp could come from the driverside y because you are opening it up from that flat pipe from the factory? I have read other threads from others that complain of the same sound, some have cats some not but the sound seems to be the same, anyrate I wish I new of a cure other than changing the complete exhaust, I love the fitment and sound not to mention it cost a few bucks to put it all together! Maybe I should get some elec. cutouts and when the rasp starts just open them up! There problem solved

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

the more free flowing your exhaust is the better. Spend a lil now instead of alot later. alot of people like 2.5 in exhaust and others like the 3in. depending what your mods are and your goals of power levels the more open your exhaust is the better. And the right mufflers can still keep your car from sounding like a log truck going down the road.

Thread Information