Results 1 to 17 of 17

What is this rattle?

This is a discussion on What is this rattle? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; About a month ago I put on Pasesetter LT and 3" TS&P ORY. I already had a Flowmasters muffler. For ...

  1. #1
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    What is this rattle?

    About a month ago I put on Pasesetter LT and 3" TS&P ORY. I already had a Flowmasters muffler. For the last week I have this rattle that is annoying as hell. Sounds like something is loose. But I have checked and nothing is. It sounds more from the muffler then the ORY or LTs.

    Any suggestion?

  2. #2
    Member NoscamaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Durant, Okla
    Posts
    737

    NBM
    2002 Camaro

    I had a baffle inside a flowmaster come loose before. Damn thing sounded like I had a cat inside of it.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

  3. #3
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    I had a baffle inside a flowmaster come loose before. Damn thing sounded like I had a cat inside of it.
    How would you check on something like that?

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    How would you check on something like that?

    Rap on the muffler case to see if anything vibrates inside.

  5. #5
    Senior Member TransAm11973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in my Trans Am
    Posts
    2,630

    Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    loose heat shield? i would say check your cats but if you have an ory you dont have cats

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    We picked up a noise in our car last week -- sounds like something vibrating in the right rear quarter. I don't know if it is the difference in the exhaust note causing harmonics after the catback install or what. Have to put the car back up in the air and check it out. If I recall, there are some other threads posted a few months back where members were chasing "mystery rattles" in the back of their cars.

  7. #7
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    I took it to a muffler shop last night becasue the sound is getting sooo bad and embarassing + very annoying, It seems that after I put the headers on and ORY it has broke a baffle in the muffler because of the age of the muffler and the increase flow. Sooooo now I have to get a new muffler. Grrrr


    I want a Magnaflow muffler, I for now still want the one in two out set up.

    Anybody know which muffler to get?

  8. #8
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I took it to a muffler shop last night becasue the sound is getting sooo bad and embarassing + very annoying, It seems that after I put the headers on and ORY it has broke a baffle in the muffler because of the age of the muffler and the increase flow. Sooooo now I have to get a new muffler. Grrrr


    I want a Magnaflow muffler, I for now still want the one in two out set up.

    Anybody know which muffler to get?


    Never mind above post..

    I went at lunch and got a Magnaflow Muffler put on. Totally different in sound. Got the rumble, but loss some of the sound at WOT, otherwise not as loud as a Flowmaster. But the Magnaflow has a better HP gain. So I went with HP vs loud. I feel anybody can be loud, but having the HP is better.


    Opinions? Did I make a mistake?

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Never mind above post..

    I went at lunch and got a Magnaflow Muffler put on. Totally different in sound. Got the rumble, but loss some of the sound at WOT, otherwise not as loud as a Flowmaster. But the Magnaflow has a better HP gain. So I went with HP vs loud. I feel anybody can be loud, but having the HP is better.


    Opinions? Did I make a mistake?

    We have Magnaflows on the T/A and the Vette. Love the sound! I have never been a fan of Flowmasters -- just sound funny to me.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 10-20-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

  10. #10
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    I have an a very loud screaching rattle at start up. It seems to be worse when the engine is cold but it could just be the echo in the garage. It only occurs on start up. Any ideas are appreciated?? I have lts and tsp duals as well.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    I have an a very loud screaching rattle at start up. It seems to be worse when the engine is cold but it could just be the echo in the garage. It only occurs on start up. Any ideas are appreciated?? I have lts and tsp duals as well.
    A "screech" on start up would generally be belt slippage. Usually it is worse when the engine is cold and/or it is in a damp environment. I suppose it could also be a starter that is not fully disengaging once the engine starts. Not sure, can you provide more info?

  12. #12
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    I have an a very loud screaching rattle at start up. It seems to be worse when the engine is cold but it could just be the echo in the garage. It only occurs on start up. Any ideas are appreciated?? I have lts and tsp duals as well.
    Need more info, coming from front of the car, back of the car, try to isolate where exactly. Without seeing the car in person a vid would help.

    If it is from the engine most likely what pajeff02 stated. Most screeching is from belts.

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    A "screech" on start up would generally be belt slippage. Usually it is worse when the engine is cold and/or it is in a damp environment. I suppose it could also be a starter that is not fully disengaging once the engine starts. Not sure, can you provide more info?
    You beat me to it.

  13. #13
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    I have the same mystery rattles. One is the plastics in my shifter(a4) eventually rip out of insanity or get a grand prix leather boot. Also have vibrations when mashing it coming from the back. I have duals so not the catback.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Also have vibrations when mashing it coming from the back. I have duals so not the catback.

    Any idea what is making the noise? It definitely sounds like metal vibrating in the back right corner, I just can't think of anything it could be.

  15. #15
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    If by right corner you mean rear passenger side, I would check your spare tire and jack. Make sure they are tighten up. If they are loose it will make noise.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    If by right corner you mean rear passenger side, I would check your spare tire and jack. Make sure they are tighten up. If they are loose it will make noise.

    Good point. May be that it loosened up or shifted a bit and came in contact with something. I know the exhaust note is a lot deeper with the catback and I figured it was some sort of weird harmonics.

  17. #17
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    When I used to have the spare it did come loose once. It was a prominent squeaking noise-just took it out.
    pa jeff I put a t/a girdle on my car and took off the hooks that hold the rear brake lines in place. I might get some tape and see if it solves anything.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 5.3 rattle rattle knock knock........ NOOO!!
    By crawdad369 in forum GM Trucks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2008, 02:38 PM
  2. I have a rattle!
    By bluefields88 in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 05:16 AM
  3. Rattle?
    By BlueBomber in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 02:47 PM
  4. Rattle..
    By kirbbssters FireHawk in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 12:31 PM
  5. Bad rattle
    By atilla2000tax2 in forum General Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 12:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •