white
    2002 z28

what parts to remove for headers install?

im getteing pacestters or mac in about a week and whats everything that needs to be gone. or can i just remove stock headers and dont touch everything else.

and dumb question both headers are installed from te bottom right?

and what are some pointers when installing these?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

For my LT1, I had to remove
    spark plugs, wires, intake, alternator, steering knuckle, oil dipstick, water temp sensor, oil filter, stock y, stock manifold, starter. That's all I can think of for now.
    But LS1's are a tad different, but not by much. I think you can leave the alternator and possibly your intake. You may need to remove a coil pack or two for more room.
    Some advice, use plenty of liquid wrench, prepare to cuss, bleed, and get pissed off. Go ahead and break the manifold-to-y pipe bolts and the cat bolts. You won't need them anyways. Be careful when putting the car in the air. Don't use the gaskets that come with the headers, go ahead and buy some OE metal gaskets.
    And both should go in from the bottom. Some can go in from the top though. If you just can't quite it it from the bottom, sometimes the top does work.
    That's all I can think of for now.

white
    2002 z28

thanks alot, still debating thoe on install b/c my local speed shop wants $800 just for install on headers which cost more then the whole exausht. does that sound right for the price of a install??

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Install prices vary greatly by location. But that sounds about right. I was quoted $500 for my install. Just do it yourself, gain the experience, knowledge, know-how, and most importantly, save some green for other stuff. Its not as difficult as some people make it out to be. That hardest part is getting the old stuff out. Once you bolt the headers up, reinstalling the other crap is a breeze.

Pewter
    99 Z28 A4

Just make sure the car is up very high. The only part I can recall removing was the steering knuckle, and of course the manifolds, plug wires.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Well, every car is different...

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

It is really easy get it up in the air as high as you can I have a car lift. First after gettin your stock stuff off make sure that you put some kind of heat rap on the wires on the passenger side. Also make sure the ABS wire is pulled back.

A nother cupple things to make it a little easer. First remove coil rack on both sides. To do the driver side remove the oil filter and the tranny crossmember get a strap and pull the tranny to the passenger side that will give you enough room to slide the driverside header up in. The passenger side will go up in pretty easey. Also remove the spark plugs first. It isn't that big of a job. I did it my self in under 3 hours. You DON'T need to remove the steering knuckle.

I will be more than happy to help with any questions i could give you my phone #. Good luck chad

Forgot you will need to get O2 wire extensions. Ebay has them I think they where about $30.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by bealschad : 02-25-2007 at 08:52 AM.
    Last edited by bealschad; 03-15-2007 at 03:05 PM.

white
    2002 z28

thanks much apprieatied and soon as i decide which brand im getting and recieve them ill difenly take you on your offer
    thanks nick

Thread Information