Results 1 to 13 of 13

what lid to use with TSP 100mm MAF?

This is a discussion on what lid to use with TSP 100mm MAF? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm in the process of buying parts for my build (very slow process.....). I've got a profesional products 96mm intake, ...

  1. #1
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    what lid to use with TSP 100mm MAF?

    I'm in the process of buying parts for my build (very slow process.....). I've got a profesional products 96mm intake, jantzer 95mm TB and I'm looking at the TSP 100mm MAF. my question is, what lid/CIA will fit this MAF. I know FTP makes a lid but is that my only option? or is there some sort of reducer coupler to use other air filters?

  2. #2
    Senior Member bills98ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Thomas, PA
    Posts
    5,047

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Here's the one I used ! Got mine for 69.00 !!!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...Q5fAccessories

  3. #3
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    be warned that tuning for that maf will be a pain in the lower rpm tables ..frost explained it too me ...

    "The card style LS3/7 MAFs are very noisy down low. In late model PCMs the filtering is designed around; it's not in our cars. They can be a real headache down low. If you go this route, it needs to be tuned by wideband but depending on how it's mounted, it could be kind of miserable. "

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,621

    silver
    2000 formula

    sounds like a SD tune is in order

  5. #5
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    be warned that tuning for that maf will be a pain in the lower rpm tables ..frost explained it too me ...

    "The card style LS3/7 MAFs are very noisy down low. In late model PCMs the filtering is designed around; it's not in our cars. They can be a real headache down low. If you go this route, it needs to be tuned by wideband but depending on how it's mounted, it could be kind of miserable. "
    I don't know what you mean by "wide band". are you talking about O2 sensors?

  6. #6
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    sounds like a SD tune is in order
    what is an SD tune?

  7. #7
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "wide band". are you talking about O2 sensors?
    yes a wideband O2 sensor ..oem is a narrow band.

  8. #8
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    what is an SD tune?
    SD stands for speed density tune. it is a different way of parameters for the car...SD does not use the MAF and relyies on a array of other sensors to adjust the fueling etc.


    i believe however you dont NEED a SD tune. I wouldnt get one until you have everything you need for the build. i would think a nice 85mm maf and a really good tune is all you need

  9. #9
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    SD stands for speed density tune. it is a different way of parameters for the car...SD does not use the MAF and relyies on a array of other sensors to adjust the fueling etc.


    i believe however you dont NEED a SD tune. I wouldnt get one until you have everything you need for the build. i would think a nice 85mm maf and a really good tune is all you need
    if I have a 96mm intake and 95mm TB, isn't using a 85mm maf going to restrict the amount of air that those parts are capable of flowing? I also will be using P&P 243's, TRex, and 1.75" longtubes into 3" dual exhaust with no cats. I don't think 100 maf is overkill.. I could be wrong but I think if I can get it tuned just right, this set up should make good power. if an 85mm maf is better for my needs then I will go that route, I'm just not sure it is.

  10. #10
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    if I have a 96mm intake and 95mm TB, isn't using a 85mm maf going to restrict the amount of air that those parts are capable of flowing? I also will be using P&P 243's, TRex, and 1.75" longtubes into 3" dual exhaust with no cats. I don't think 100 maf is overkill.. I could be wrong but I think if I can get it tuned just right, this set up should make good power. if an 85mm maf is better for my needs then I will go that route, I'm just not sure it is.
    you are correct....in general anything in front of the intake mouth that is smaller will be a restriction...however most of these aftermarket TBs advertise the O.D instead of the I.D so you buy a 95mm and the I.D is 85mm or such..if you get a good tune with a 85mm or 75mm maf you will only gain 3-8rwhp on a new bigger mm maf. so if you want to spend 200-300 for 8rwhp then go for it.

  11. #11
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Speed Density tune might not be a bad idea with that cam

  12. #12
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    you are correct....in general anything in front of the intake mouth that is smaller will be a restriction...however most of these aftermarket TBs advertise the O.D instead of the I.D so you buy a 95mm and the I.D is 85mm or such..if you get a good tune with a 85mm or 75mm maf you will only gain 3-8rwhp on a new bigger mm maf. so if you want to spend 200-300 for 8rwhp then go for it.
    I'm gonna double check that theory because when I got my TB I matched it up to my intake and the openings matched up almost perfect like they should. I'm going to get some calipers and measure the inside diameter.

  13. #13
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    calipers do not lie! TB is 95mm ID as advertised and intake is 96mm also as advertised. soooooo that being proven, I don't see how it makes sense to use a maf that is 10mm smaller. granted 10mm isn't that big of a difference BUT, if I am now going to go to the trouble of porting my stocker or paying for a brand new 85mm maf, why wouldn't I spend 100 or so more for a maf that at least in size comes closer to matching my other parts?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale: couplers, 100mm maf, ls1 fuel rail..etc
    By 1nasty86 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 04:29 PM
  2. Wanted: 100mm maf sensor & comp turnion upgrade kit.
    By 1nasty86 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 05:16 PM
  3. 408 NA MAF? 90mm or 100mm?
    By MnLS1 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 08:04 AM
  4. building 402 stoker with 100mm turbo
    By ls2turbo in forum General Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2006, 08:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •