Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

What kind of exhaust do i have?

This is a discussion on What kind of exhaust do i have? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; here is a pic and i dont know if this vid will work or not but i hope it does...

  1. #21
    Member zeetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Age
    27
    Posts
    690

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

    here is a pic and i dont know if this vid will work or not but i hope it does




  2. #22
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Video worked. IDK what muffler it is, but I like the deep sound it makes.

  3. #23
    Member zeetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Age
    27
    Posts
    690

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Video worked. IDK what muffler it is, but I like the deep sound it makes.
    its pretty quit from the inside, i wanna hear from the outside in action

  4. #24
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    ^^^I've always thought my Hooker Aerochamber was too quiet, especially inside. I recently followed my car, tho, while I was driving my friends '66 GTO. I now have a very different opinion of how my car sounds, especially when I get on it. Mean! And yes, that stock 389 tri-power 4-speed 3.55 rear gear GTO got it's ass handed to it easily by Too Fast. But oh what a sound when the six-pack opens....

  5. #25
    Member zeetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Age
    27
    Posts
    690

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

    ohhh yea haha

  6. #26
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Could be some off brand muffler someone welded in that's why it doen'y have a name on it and the welds aren't as clean.

  7. #27
    Member zeetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Age
    27
    Posts
    690

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Could be some off brand muffler someone welded in that's why it doen'y have a name on it and the welds aren't as clean.
    looks like shit huh

  8. #28
    Junior Member Ironwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Age
    32
    Posts
    93

    Red
    1999 Trans-Am WS6

    I thought for the longest time my muffler was stock, but I went to an F-Body meet here in town and some of the guys asked what kind of exhaust I had. I replied that it was stock and one of the other guys said BULLSHIT and crawled under the car lol. It's a bullet style muffler...definitely not stock, but we couldn't see any kind of badging or anything to determine what type it is.

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    WV
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    It kind of looks/sounds like a dynomax cat back. I would think dynomax would have better welds though.
    98 TA Under construction: T76gts and some other stuff.

  10. #30
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    what do the tips look like?

  11. #31
    Member zeetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Age
    27
    Posts
    690

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    what do the tips look like?
    Long and there circle with the crooked cut at the end

  12. #32
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    flowmaster?

  13. #33
    Member zeetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Age
    27
    Posts
    690

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    flowmaster?
    its not stamped

  14. #34
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    That thing looks like hell. maybe someone split the muffler, gutted it, and rewelded it back together. Maybe it is stock. With some work. Could be there were problems, and some one just rewelded it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

  15. #35
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    That crappy weld is not factory. You can see the factory seem and weld just passed that bubble gum weld. If you look at the other end you will see the factory weld to compare to.

    That bubble gum is something that someone else did. Either the muffler was cut open for what ever reason, or is simply split there and someone welded it to try and save it. Either way........

    I can also see the factory stitch welding from the inside out that is bleeding through the case (heat from the weld) all throughout the middle of the case. Which is the chamber walls or deflectors that are welded inside the muffler.

    This is how Flowmasters are designed as well as Mac. Mac mufflers never had any stampings on them from what I've seen. I have a pair of old Macs on my 72 Blazer. They are more of a mellow sound compared to flowmasters but are designed with the same ideas and are pretty much a blank casing.
    Spintech is another chamber style muffler but they use more curves or swirls, which also can be seen in the welds through the casing,,,not like the straight stitches and angles that you can see through this casing.

    It doesn't help you much on a name brand, but I can tell you that is definately a chamber style muffler.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-16-2010 at 08:30 PM.

  16. #36
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That crappy weld is not factory. You can see the factory seem and weld just passed that bubble gum weld. If you look at the other end you will see the factory weld to compare to.

    That bubble gum is something that someone else did. Either the muffler was cut open for what ever reason, or is simply split there and someone welded it to try and save it. Either way........

    I can also see the factory stitch welding from the inside out that is bleeding through the case (heat from the weld) all throughout the middle of the case. Which is the chamber walls or deflectors that are welded inside the muffler.

    This is how Flowmasters are designed as well as Mac. Mac mufflers never had any stampings on them from what I've seen. I have a pair of old Macs on my 72 Blazer. They are more of a mellow sound compared to flowmasters but are designed with the same ideas and are pretty much a blank casing.
    Spintech is another chamber style muffler but they use more curves or swirls, which also can be seen in the welds through the casing,,,not like the straight stitches and angles that you can see through this casing.

    It doesn't help you much on a name brand, but I can tell you that is definately a chamber style muffler.
    That's EXACTLY what I was trying to say.

  17. #37
    Member zeetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Age
    27
    Posts
    690

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

    i dont think we will ever find out haha

  18. #38
    Member izzhemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Osawatomie KS
    Age
    28
    Posts
    324

    white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

    it looks like crap but i think it sounds like an 80 series flowmaster with the 2 1/2 inc. inlet 3 1/2 inc dual outlet....

  19. #39
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Ya I was gonna say it looks either a Spintech or Mac muffler to me.

  20. #40
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,589

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by izzhemp View Post
    it looks like crap but i think it sounds like an 80 series flowmaster with the 2 1/2 inc. inlet 3 1/2 inc dual outlet....
    Aren't all flowmasters stamped though?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What kind of exhaust do I have?
    By JoeShmoe in forum External Engine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 07:29 AM
  2. What kind of Exhaust should i buy??
    By 96Firebirdformula in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 01:08 PM
  3. A different kind of Z06 exhaust
    By Special Ed GT in forum Rocky Mountain Members
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 06:47 PM
  4. What kind of exhaust is this? Pic
    By Camel in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 11:14 PM
  5. what kind of exhaust
    By XtinKt in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 06:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •