Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what headers

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

what headers

does any one on the forums run hookers LT headers on their camaros, IF so how do you feel about them, how do they fit, is their an issue with ground clearance because i want to lower my Z28. Also does the offroad y pipe delete the cats because i want to keep it street legal, I dont care about losing the rear O2 sensors. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I personaly run Pacesetters, but plenty of my friends around here run Hooker Comps and love them. No ground clearence issues, slide right in and hold up pretty good.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Got my LPP headers and ORY in the mail yesterday. Nothing but good reviews on these.

TempleU has them installed already and he has good info on these as well.

2002 WS6 TranAm

BigGuns who did you order your LPP's from? I would like a set of LPP's as they seem to be the in-between ceramic coated and high end ARH, Kooks Stainless.

To answer the post the Hooker headers are a good alternative to inexpensive ceramic coated header. The Y-Pipe for Hooker for the headers is a 2 1/2. I ended up swaying towards Pacesetters as they tuck just a hair bit better and the Y-Pipe is a 3' which will produce a little better flow. I was in the same pickle as you and that was my conclusion. If I can get LPP's I'll jump on them however they have been out of stock so it looks like I'll go Pacesetters unless I find a stainless pair used in great condition for good money.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Any of the ones you mention would be a good choice. Yes, the LPPs are now out of stock and I got the last set apparently.

I ordered them from LPP and they arrived yesterday. They come either with or without the 3" ORY and I got the ORY as this was a good deal at $650 for the full set up.

I would go stainless or ceramic coated though. I've seen rusted ones and these and Kooks won't rust.

Hookers were my second choice.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Whatever you do, avoid buying SLP headers, as long as you buy anything else, you are making a solid decision. SLPs=regret
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

I've met a few people that are happy with the SLP types but, personally I wouldn't either. Its a gamble if they will sound good.

I've heard them on different cars and they are not the same no matter whos car they are on and what muffler selection is made.

Dumps sound good with SLPs I think.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Ive got hooker ceramic coated lt's on my car and i like them. It was a fairly simple install....but i had to deviate from the directions in order to get the drivers side in. The directions tell you to disconnect the steering shaft, but i found it easier to loosen the motor mount bolt on that side and jack the motor up about an inch by the oil pan. The coating is holding up good so far, i only have minor rust where the primaries meet and go into the collector, from the back side. I guess they just didnt get enough coating on that part. The collectors themselves tuck up pretty nicely.

I cant comment on hookers y pipe cause i took my car to an exhaust shop and had a system fabbed up. Yes, an off road y pipe deletes the cats, but if youre gonna go with a catted y, you might as well keep the rear o2's. My car is lowered 1.2" with strano springs, and i have yet to scrape on anything, and i dont plan to.
    Hope this helps.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Perfect clearance bro.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thanks man. Let us know how the install with youre LPP's go, and post up pics. Im kinda embarassed by those pics, my exhaust looks like shit lol!

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Doesn't make any sense to clean it so, as long as it serves it's purpose, that's all that matters right?

I'll let you know how the install goes. I've got so many people that want to help, it might turn into a training seminar.

I can't wait.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    I've met a few people that are happy with the SLP types but, personally I wouldn't either. Its a gamble if they will sound good.

I've heard them on different cars and they are not the same no matter whos car they are on and what muffler selection is made.

Dumps sound good with SLPs I think.
    I wasn't referring to the tone SLPs produce, I am referring to their clearance issues and ridiculous HP claims they make as reasons to stay clear of them. Here are some pics of the their clearance issues:

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Haha.... true that. At least youll have some help which is a good thing. My father and i did the install on my car in my buddies shop, he let us use his lift. It took us about 7 hours, from start to finish. I consider that pretty good seeing as it was the first time doing it for us both. Im sure it can be done quicker but we took our time since we like to do everything right the first time. I have no clearance issues with anything which came as a relief to me after reading horror stories of people cutting part of the kmember or beating on the body or the y pipe hitting, i couldnt be happier. Just take your time and enjoy it, youre gonna love it. The reward is well worth the trouble...

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I wasn't referring to the tone SLPs produce, I am referring to their clearance issues and ridiculous HP claims they make as reasons to stay clear of them. Here are some pics of the their clearance issues:

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Oh Christ. Those look horrid. I'm glad I got LPP. Who the hell designed those? Jeeezus.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Oh Christ. Those look horrid. I'm glad I got LPP. Who the hell designed those? Jeeezus.
    Thats SLP headers

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

SLP= Suck +10

....plus, where the hell is the collector? uh!

teal
    1998z28m6- 1999z28a4

slp headers suck no clearnce no way u can lower the car wish i found ths site before i flushed 1000 bucks down the toilet .yall are doing good things on this site .

red
    01 camaro ss

I was looking at getting a set of SLP headers. Glad i went with dynatech, no ground problems with them.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

I'm glad I went with the LPP headers.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Wow. Thanks for the post on the SLP headers. I'll make sure to inform people I know about them. I was leaning towards Kook's myself. I am not aware of any ground clearance issues with those. Is anyone else aware? Also, does anyone know how Kook's will sound with the SLP Loud Mouth?

Thread Information