Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

what gains?

This is a discussion on what gains? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones The truck manifolds I'm messing with on a 6.0 swap right now look pretty damn good ...

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The truck manifolds I'm messing with on a 6.0 swap right now look pretty damn good for a manifold, so they are staying.
    so i shouldnt bother with headers on my lq4?

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I have to agree with some of the comments, with the amount of money i spent and gained 14rwhp and 2rwtq i would've just passed on putting LT's. I didnt feel anything on the butt dyno either. Lot of people will think thats weird but thats the way it goes sometimes. I also looked to justify the OVERALL dyno number meaning not just peak but what i also gained in between or low end but hardly gained anything there either. In the end i wasnt too suprised. Ive only gained or noticed a big difference on 2 cars that ive installed headers on. 1st was my 93Z M6 with aftermarket shorties believe it or not, 2nd was my 01 M3 Convertible with aftermarket headers and with those 2 cars i without a doubt felt a difference. Those cars the headers werent the best out of the factory either.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    so i shouldnt bother with headers on my lq4?
    Well,,,in my case I'm swapping mine into a 72 blazer. The only headers on the market for this swap are shorty headers. After looking at these factory LQ4 manifolds, it's just not worth the $500 for shorties. These manifolds are well made, with 2 1/2 inch outlets, (not tiny 2 1/4 like Fbodies) and if you take them off and shine a light through them, the inside ports are well made with nice contours and should flow relatively nice for a stockish engine. I was even kicking around extrude honing them.

I have seen Fbody long tube headers used in a swap like mine, but it requires notching the frame, plus the drivers side collector kicks out towards the rocker panel at about 25 degrees,,,so that would pose a problem for me as well trying to mate the exhaust system together. Just not worth the effort in my case.
    Especially since my truck already has a mandrel bent true dual exhaust with Mac mufflers and no cats anyway,,,so that alone is a big improvement in exhaust flow over the factory 2004 LQ4 truck systems.

If you are putting your LQ4 in an Fbody, and doing other mods, I wouldn't hesitate to install long tube headers, plenty of manufactures to choose from in your case.
    Besides, I don't believe the truck manifolds will clear the Fbody chassis. Too bad though, if you were building a sleeper these would be the ticket.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

my lq4 is in my dd...2002 chevy 2500....but yea i could only find shorties as well, and they are too damn expensive.....and if they wont make much difference, aint no sense in buyin em...

i noticed a little more power on the top end when i installed the headers....anyone know what kinda gains you get from lt's when your car is not tuned? and how much of a gain after its tuned>?

My 01 ss before headers and ory

My 01 ss after headers and ory "UNTUNED" (and still is untuned) 12.6 1/4 mile in sig with -1000 DA
    Last edited by senicalj4579; 03-02-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    01 SS A4 3.23-LID-CAI-LTS-ORY-CB-STALL-TUNED-326rwh,335rwt
    60'-1.666, 1/4-11.918@112.83MPH

my lq4 is in my dd...2002 chevy 2500....but yea i could only find shorties as well, and they are too damn expensive.....and if they wont make much difference, aint no sense in buyin em...
    That's the same truck my father drives. He put a catback, cold air intake, and tune in it and called it done. Runs pretty good for a big 4x4 3/4 ton.
    I'm not a big fan of shorty headers. About the only thing you would gain over the LQ4 truck manifolds would be a larger primary pipe, maybe a larger collector but in some cases it would still be 2 1/2 there anyway.

For $500 or more?? It's up to you. I've done alot of pure stock racing with 60's or 70's muscle cars, and rules dictate factory manifolds. Some of the older designs in your mass produced muscle cars leave alot to be desired, some are better than others depending on model.
    Looking at alot of those, and then seeing these LQ4 truck manifolds,,,they aren't bad pieces at all. I wouldn't trade em' for shorties.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information