Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What is "Full Bolt-Ons"

This is a discussion on What is "Full Bolt-Ons" within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ASP pulleys have issues or have had issues witht the belts slipping sometimes dont they, is the slp one better ...

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

ASP pulleys have issues or have had issues witht the belts slipping sometimes dont they, is the slp one better becasue of the ridges for the belt to sit in

Black
    2000 Z-28

I've yet to see any performance numbers from that new GT so I think it's early to tell. I suppose if the 412hp and 390tq numbers are accurate and it has a good driver it may be capable of mid to high 12's in the 1/4 which is only a few bolt-ons away for most LS1s....some LS1s even managed high 12s stock.

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Loco View Post
    ASP pulleys have issues or have had issues witht the belts slipping sometimes dont they, is the slp one better becasue of the ridges for the belt to sit in
    I had the ASP on mine for quite a while. Never had any issues of belt slippage. If belts are slipping, I'd say someone has a very weak tensioner.

I had heard of people saying the belts came off though. Since ASP's don't have the deep groove like some others on the market.
    But I never had that issue either. I would attribute that problem to either a pulley not lined up properly, or a bad belt tensioner.

What issue I did have with mine, was slowing the water pump down to the point when idling, it could never cool the engine down sufficiently, and the fans wouldn't cycle properly. Bring the rpms up however, and the engine would cool right down and fans cycle. In traffic it was horrible.
    So mine came back off in favor of the stock pulley.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

^ wow i hadnt heard that about the water pump before i ve heard the alternator not charging correctly

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Loco View Post
    ^ wow i hadnt heard that about the water pump before i ve heard the alternator not charging correctly
    I've mentioned it before in the past. It's been a couple years since I used it though.

I also had low voltage. Would drop at idle, especially if lights were on, or the A/C running etc...
    But that never gave me any driveability issues what so ever.

It was the temps I didn't like, and this happened during summer months. Idling in traffic or a parking lot, the temp on the scanner would rise slowly, even with both fans running. It just wouldn't come back down to a normal range. Unless however, I would hold RPM's at about 1500 while sitting still. You could watch the temp on the scanner immediately drop like a rock and fans would shut off. The coolant is simply circulating too slow at idle speeds.
    This was in Ohio. I knew eventually moving to Arizona where it's warmer would be even more of a problem, so the pulley came back off.
    Now the car can sit and idle indefinately and temp fluctuates as it should with the fans cycling on and off.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

- Long Tube Headers
    - Off Road Y-Pipe (Cat-less)
    - Catback
    - Lid
    - Smooth Bellows
    - Ported Stock or Aftermarket Throttle Body
    - LS6 Intake
    - Underdrive Pulley
    - Electric Water Pump
    - Short Shifter (not a power adder, but helpful)
    - A/C Delete (weight reduction and less power lost from the belts)
    - Aftermarket Suspension (Subframe Connectors, Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms, Adjustable Panhard Bar, Adjustable Torque Arm)

"Technically" a Nitrous Kit or Procharger bolt right on, but I don't think they fall into this category.
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Thanks for all the info on the pulleys. How much of a difference do they really make? Are there any other suspension mods other than those just listed?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    Thanks for all the info on the pulleys. How much of a difference do they really make? Are there any other suspension mods other than those just listed?
    I forgot about Front and Rear Rear Sway Bars...those are a must.

Other not so needed:
    Lowering Springs
    Shocks (Koni's are the top of the line, but I'm really happy with my KYB AGX's)
    Front Upper and Lower Control Arms

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

luckily i already have thicker sway bars so its all good haha. thanks for all the info!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information