Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What exhaust?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

What exhaust?

What exhaust set up will give me a nice low growl during slow cruising, sound powerful at WOT, but won't be loud when cruising on the freeway. Any help would be appreciated. This is for a 2002 WS.6 pretty much stock.

black
    '02 trans am ws6

Magnaflow is a popular choice.
    '02 ws6.....mods? nope

Red
    2002 Camaro SS 35th LE

For a stock manifold, you really can't go wrong with Magnaflow. Many of the other exhausts are a bit louder depending on a muffler/resonator and also cost quite a bit more. It really comes down to how much you want to spend on the system. Do some research on LS1sounds.com and listen to some LS1's with the stock manifolds to get an idea of what you're looking for. Personally, Loudmouth would be the most amazing for your car, but it completely disregards the loud part both inside and out!
    2002 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary Edition
    Vert M6
    SLP CAI
    Hooker Super Comp Ceramic Coated LT's
    3" Ebay Catted Hooker Y-Pipe
    SLP Loudmouth I Center Mount with SLP tips

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

That's funny you said Loudmouth. That is what I have now. It's not bad, but I am trying to find something deeper rather than just loud and not so much inside the car. If I find the right exhaust, I will find the money.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS 35th LE

Definitely look into Magnaflow for a deep sound. I had that system on previously.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I will check out ls1sound.com. Thanks

magnaflow or borla

Red
    2002 Camaro SS 35th LE

I see GMMG come up a lot in threads, but it sure is expensive. Sounds a lot like my Loudmouth with a catted Y-pipe for twice the cost. I'd have to hear it in person to make the best comparison because some of those camera's microphones just don't do justice with some exhaust systems.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

When i get to about 3k rpms, my center console rattles and makes for a noisy ride. It vibrates alot with the loudmouth. I am going to check and make sure the exhaust isnt coming loose. bobbyd, i was thinking magnaflo or borla as well after listening to some clips. I should be able to just switch out mufflers, since i already have larger pipes. I think the cats are stock, i will probably switch out those for new ones and switch out my tips. I was thinking abouty fast toys chrome dual tips or borlas.

2002 Black WS6

Borla. Nice low growl during normal accel, and sounds pretty mean when you get on it.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I had Magnaflows on my 01 Cobra. Obviously a different engine, but they sounded really nice on it. Sounded much nicer than other stock 01s I had seen/heard. Had a nice low growl on idle that you're talking about, and sounded sweet at WOT...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

My brother in law has magnaflo on his 05 mustang GT without cats and it sounds pretty good. But like you said different engine. I just don't want to get another muffler that sounds like it's crackling so much. Strano has Powerflo by SLP I believe that can swap right out with my Loudmouth. Anybody have Powerflo? Is there much pipe alterations needed to switch my Loudmouth to magnaflo?

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I'm in the same boat as you man! But I'm also wanting to do headers and an ORY. Anyone know if the magnaflows will still sound good with that setup?

Red
    2002 Camaro SS 35th LE

My Magnaflow sounded pretty good with LT's and an ORY, but a little tame for my taste. Most people will love it though due to the interior resonance being low, and a nice quiet drive at low normal RPM. When you want it to be loud, which is pretty much any of the LS1's with longtube headers and a non restrictive exhaust, just press that gas pedal.

When I get some cash, I think I'm going to swap my entire exhaust to some ARH stainless steel headers for that beautiful look, ORY, and a GMMG exhaust with the original SLP CME tips coming out of the center. I want something LOUD, something aggressive, and something that looks beautiful as well. Unfortunately, ARH and GMMG are probably the most expensive when it comes to these parts.

SLP and Borla are the raspy ones I've heard personally with ORY's and LT's. Many of the other brands aren't raspy at all with either a bullet muffler or a straight muffler. Cats made all the difference in the world to me in regards to rasp. Running my Loudmouth I has never sounded better. I will admit though, with the ORY, no cats, and if I could have the no rasp loudness of the loudmouth I with this setup, I'd be extremely happy. I'm hoping down the road that's what a GMMG system will do for me, but I could be wrong.

My last two cents, it all comes down to what you want out of your exhaust system. You're going to get opinions from all sorts of people, but in the end, it's your car. You decide the exhaust system, how loud you want it, and how you want it to look when it comes out the back of the car (Or dumped before an axle). Just keep it simple when deciding:

Headers + ORY = Look for something to muffle the sound, at minimal, a borlamouth or dynomouth or a pure muffler.

Headers + Catted ORY = Anything will work at this point without having to worry about a rasp. Still can be extremely loud, but your interior sound will go down quite a bit depending on the high-flow cat.

Stock manifolds = You should really buy headers. Kidding, Loudmouth sounds incredible on this one, but to be a bit quieter than this, Magnaflow would be an outstanding system for price/performance and a nice stainless steel look.
    Last edited by 02SS35th; 03-05-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    That's funny you said Loudmouth. That is what I have now. It's not bad, but I am trying to find something deeper rather than just loud and not so much inside the car. If I find the right exhaust, I will find the money.
    I have the LM 1 too. I say go with Borla, Corsa or Magnaflow. If I had the money at the time, I would have gotten Corsa.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

All good info. I am looking to do the suspension first, but the rattling of my console is annoying. Magnaflo sounds like a good fit for me. I am going to do LT's and catted ORY as well after suspension. Would it be retarded to install the mufflers now and the LT's and ORY later?

When i get to about 3k rpms, my center console rattles and makes for a noisy ride. It vibrates alot with the loudmouth. I am going to check and make sure the exhaust isnt coming loose. bobbyd, i was thinking magnaflo or borla as well after listening to some clips. I should be able to just switch out mufflers, since i already have larger pipes. I think the cats are stock, i will probably switch out those for new ones and switch out my tips. I was thinking abouty fast toys chrome dual tips or borlas.
    i had both on my previous car (02 ws6) magnaflow was too quiet for my taste. so then i installed a borla muffler and loved the sound a whole lot better.

yea you can just buy the muffler and welding that without having to get the complete catback. if you dont have emissions get rid of your cat's completely hehe. as for tips check out the corsa clone tips. those are the best ones for trans ams.

i had both on my previous car (02 ws6) magnaflow was too quiet for my taste. so then i installed a borla muffler and loved the sound a whole lot better.

yea you can just buy the muffler and welding that without having to get the complete catback. if you dont have emissions get rid of your cat's completely hehe. as for tips check out the corsa clone tips. those are the best ones for trans ams.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I remember seeing the clones, I forgot about those. Borlaug is louder, but is it still deep and low cabin noise? I just don't want my console shaking any more.

I remember seeing the clones, I forgot about those. Borlaug is louder, but is it still deep and low cabin noise? I just don't want my console shaking any more.
    yup. they are deep and low cabin noise. sounds great and at times you might even say that you could hardly hear it from the inside of the car. but on the outside or back of the car is pretty loud.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information