Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What exhaust?

This is a discussion on What exhaust? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Thats what i am talking about right there. I guess i am torn between Borla and Magnaflo. I am gonna ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Thats what i am talking about right there. I guess i am torn between Borla and Magnaflo. I am gonna have to get a poll. How many for Borla, how many for Magnaflo? I think i am leaning toward Borla.

Niether

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Speak your mind. What exhaust do you reccommend? Corsa? Pacesetter? Stainless works? SLP? Whats your flavor?

With single catbacks in mind???

I prefer Mufflex.

Otherwise I prefer a real dual system, and for the 4th gens my choice is Bassani.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

True duals, for sure. I was thinking about that when i actually redo the whole system. How would you discribe how a Mufflex sounds and what makes you favor Mufflex?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I listened to the CDT and the CS Muflex. I do like the CDT. The CS with spintech is a little raspy like the Loudmouth. But it does sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    True duals, for sure. I was thinking about that when i actually redo the whole system. How would you discribe how a Mufflex sounds and what makes you favor Mufflex?
    What sold me on the mufflex was the 3 tenths improvement and 3+ mph we saw on a modded LT1/6speed over all the other 3 inch catbacks we tried.
    I like the fact that they offer 3 1/2" and 4" catbacks with your choice of mufflers, (spintech, flowmaster, magnaflow) So you can pick the sound you want. I also like the fact that they offer a hidden tailpipe. These 4th gens just don't look that great with tailpipes unless they have a body surround that compliments them.
    I simply find Mufflex superior over any other 3 inch catback on the market.
    If you are really after performance and want ground clearance, this is the way to go. You just can't beat the I-pipe diameters they offer. Trying to funnel 400+ HP down a single little 3" I-pipe from the other brand catbacks isn't high on my list.

Real duals are hard to beat as well, and for that I prefer Bassani for the simple fact that I don't like to see the exhaust hanging down under any type of car. The Bassani tucks up like the factory system. These cars just weren't designed for a pair of mufflers under the rear seat area, they hang too low. Sacraficing noise control by using a pair of bullet mufflers just for ease of packaging isn't my idea of a solution. So I don't care for dumps.
    Dumps at the axle work, and if you don't mind very little ground clearance, or seeing mufflers hanging down under the floor pans, or severe interior drone and noise, then this is a cheap way to go.

There ya go, that's my take on exhaust systems for 4th gens.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I appeciate the input. My WS.6 I purchased strictly to enjoy. I dont want to see the exhaust except for my dual tips in the back. I also want the luxury of low sound on the inside. I am looking for a more enjoyable all around riding experience, rather than the loudest and fastest I can make it. Never thought od Bassani, But that might actually be the way I go. I just need to find a good exhaust shop in Michigan now.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Still researching and I think the best way to get the deep sound with out high cabin noise and high pitch is to install the conversion kit by SLP from loudmouth to powerflo mufflers. I was wondering if anybody new how to tell the diference between the loudmouth II muffler and the loudmouth resonator. As far as looking at it on the car.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

All good info. I am looking to do the suspension first, but the rattling of my console is annoying. Magnaflo sounds like a good fit for me. I am going to do LT's and catted ORY as well after suspension. Would it be retarded to install the mufflers now and the LT's and ORY later?
    It is better to wait and install everything at once, but if you do one install at a time you will be able to feel how much of a difference each will make.

The only system on the market that I consider relatively quiet and noise free in the cabin, would be the Magnaflow catback setup.

The only other 3" catback system that delivers the low noise you are looking for is no longer made. That's the factory optional dual/dual from SLP when these cars were new.
    It's what both of our SS's have, one being a vert. Even with the top down it's very subtle. Easy to carry on a conversation with the top down, even with the long tubes and off road Y. It only makes a little growl when you want it to. Not many of these systems floating around anymore.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I want to post picks of my exhaust, so you guys can tell me what I have. I always thought it was the Loudmouth Resonator because of how loud it was, the bullett style muffler/resonator and the 2 dual tips say SLP on them. I bought the car last year and the exhaust was on there. I only posted my profile picture 7 months ago. I am going to see if i remember how to do it. It looks like the muffler was cut right in and the pipes and tips are new after the y over the rear axle.

I want to post picks of my exhaust, so you guys can tell me what I have. I always thought it was the Loudmouth Resonator because of how loud it was, the bullett style muffler/resonator and the 2 dual tips say SLP on them. I bought the car last year and the exhaust was on there. I only posted my profile picture 7 months ago. I am going to see if i remember how to do it. It looks like the muffler was cut right in and the pipes and tips are new after the y over the rear axle.
    Sounds like the SLP loudmouth system, either 1 or 2.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I am loading my pictures now. It just looks like they didnt install all new pipes from the y back. Reused some of the existing. Not a big deal I guess. I would have used all new so it looked nicer. After getting under there, i want to replace it all, not just the muffler. It doesnt look pretty.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Current Exhaust

Here are pics from the cat back. What set up do you think this is?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

The Rest of The Pics

cat back
    Attached Images Attached Images

white
    1999 Trans Am

I am for magnaflow, I had a stock system with a flowmaster and did not like it, had the muffex and it was too loud for cruzing. now i have pacesetter LT's with a catted y pipe(cherry bomb high flows) and the magnaflow cat back all 3" here is my dyno vid, ill try to get some cruzing/ rev/ wot ect vid. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMISNWiJDLQ[/ame]

Magnaflow, I hated my Flowmaster
    Last edited by 818Camaro; 03-06-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Faught, your car sounds real nice! Thats exactly the sound I am looking for. Low, tough and doesnt have that high pitch crackling. How is the sound resonance in the cabin?

white
    1999 Trans Am

is quiet inside untill you go balls to the walls, then you hear it growl. ill get some vids tomorrow, oh just realized my brother has a vid after the work was done kinda crappy quality though : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi-yjW_a_Ww[/ame]
    Last edited by Faught; 03-06-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information