What do you think?

This is a discussion on What do you think? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Spoke to the local F-Body Expert today. I'm going to either do suspension and or start with bolt on's. With ...

2002 WS6 TranAm

What do you think?

Spoke to the local F-Body Expert today. I'm going to either do suspension and or start with bolt on's. With new belts, underdrive pulleys, ported tb, maf, lt, emmissions delete and tune. What kind of hp do you think this will make (I have a lid and high flow filter and flowmaster exhaust?) What would you think a price on something like this will run? It's either performance or suspension with anticipation of this for the next project.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Are you A4 or M6?

I would guess that combo on a A4 at 330ish but that is just from what I've seen on other cars. Prices vary but here's some numbers to give you an idea.

- LT's $300-$1000
    - ORY $125
    - UD pulley $200
    - belts $50
    - stock maf is more than sufficient for a bolt on car stick with it

Do your research and read around before making your decision is my suggestion
    - tune vary's a lot

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Careful replacing the MAF, make sure your tuner has the software for it, many aftermarket MAFs require different software, will go lean without it.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Take your time and do your research. There are years of experience on here now with various mods to help you spend your money wisely. For instance:
    UD pulley - either get a top quality like ATI (expensive) or leave it alone. Other UDs may not control flex appropriately and cause timing chain failure or other problems.
    MAF - if you're going to get it tuned leave the MAF alone, stock MAF is more than enough for standard bolt ons and aftermarkets just make it harder to tune.

Best approach is to develop a plan and get the pieces that will work well together with your plan in mind.

2002 WS6 TranAm

I'm fairly certain that it's going to be a full bolt on car. The car is an M6. Thanks for the feedback.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Dont change your stock MAF at all, its plenty good for a regular bolt on car and not worth what they cost. Personally if your an M6 car i would definitly do 4.10 gears, because all those mods you do with the 4.10's you can get to your powerband quicker and stay there longer so you take better advantage of what you put on your car, not to mention the car is way more fun to drive. After that LT's, ORY or catted, Exhuast cut out, Pulley and tune from Frost and youll be or should be atleast 340 RWHP. There are other mods you can do but either way its preference and opinion, GL.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Dont change your stock MAF at all, its plenty good for a regular bolt on car and not worth what they cost. Personally if your an M6 car i would definitly do 4.10 gears, because all those mods you do with the 4.10's you can get to your powerband quicker and stay there longer so you take better advantage of what you put on your car, not to mention the car is way more fun to drive. After that LT's, ORY or catted, Exhuast cut out, Pulley and tune from Frost and youll be or should be atleast 340 RWHP. There are other mods you can do but either way its preference and opinion, GL.
    ^^ excellent advice.

2002 WS6 TranAm

Just found out my bonus is plus a couple thousand this quarter so I'm going to go ahead and move on making this come full circle. This is what I'm thinking tell me your opinions.

LPP, Hooker or Pacesetter LT Headers
    ORY
    Underdrive Pulley
    Ported and Polished Throttle Body
    Tune (have a local F-Body shop that specializes in nothing but F-Body)
    UMI Subframe Connectors

Figure I'll drop somewhere around $1,500-$1,700 for everything with all install and first pull and last pull on dyno.

Opinions, thoughts, etc????? I'm excited to getting stuff done.

p.s. Ordered or put on order Strano Springs today will do these with Koni and an UMI Adjustable Panhard bar on my next go round.

2002 WS6 TranAm

Anyone? Meeting with my guy next Monday to review and order parts would like some more feedback before placing that order

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrsracing View Post
    Just found out my bonus is plus a couple thousand this quarter so I'm going to go ahead and move on making this come full circle. This is what I'm thinking tell me your opinions.

LPP, Hooker or Pacesetter LT Headers
    ORY
    Underdrive Pulley
    Ported and Polished Throttle Body
    Tune (have a local F-Body shop that specializes in nothing but F-Body)
    UMI Subframe Connectors

Figure I'll drop somewhere around $1,500-$1,700 for everything with all install and first pull and last pull on dyno.

Opinions, thoughts, etc????? I'm excited to getting stuff done.

p.s. Ordered or put on order Strano Springs today will do these with Koni and an UMI Adjustable Panhard bar on my next go round.
    That looks more like the price just for the longtubes installed.
    FOR SALE 2000 Z28 M6
    It's pretty much Raw Awesome

2002 WS6 TranAm

I was quoted a price with Pacesetters, ORY, emmissions removed, port/polish tb, pulley, belts, MAF Ends, dyno and tune for $1500-1700 only thing that is really being charged on the install side is the LT's, dyno and tune.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

It sounds like a good deal to me. The list of mods is a great group of bolt ons if you ask me, but at the moment, I'm a bit short on specific experience with mods for our cars. Its been a while since I've been able to play around in the mod market, haha. Anyways, from what I can tell, great start, and a good deal for all that work.

2002 WS6 TranAm

LPP LT's and Y Pipe $605
    Pulley's and Belts $375 (installed price)
    TB $150 (installed price)
    MAF $80 (installed price)
    Dyno Time $150 (2 pulls $75 ea.)
    Subframe Connectors $160
    Total w/o install of headers and subframe $1,520

Local F-Body shop that does good business and I'm buying the parts, etc. from him. I may end up over budget by $200 or so however that's still pretty darn good for a bolt on setup. Suspension is going to run me another $1500-1700 and then I'm pretty well done. Figure I'll have around $4,000 in it with full suspension, bolt on's, sfc, etc. Head/Cam not sure I'll ever get into but once this is all done may consider along with rims, etc.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mrsracing View Post
    LPP LT's and Y Pipe $605
    Pulley's and Belts $375 (installed price)
    TB $150 (installed price)
    MAF $80 (installed price)
    Dyno Time $150 (2 pulls $75 ea.)
    Subframe Connectors $160
    Total w/o install of headers and subframe $1,520

Local F-Body shop that does good business and I'm buying the parts, etc. from him. I may end up over budget by $200 or so however that's still pretty darn good for a bolt on setup. Suspension is going to run me another $1500-1700 and then I'm pretty well done. Figure I'll have around $4,000 in it with full suspension, bolt on's, sfc, etc. Head/Cam not sure I'll ever get into but once this is all done may consider along with rims, etc.

just the tip of the ice berg. you'll be back to modding soon after

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

most of what you have there looks good to me. go with the pacesetter coted long tube headers. and for the p&p tb talk to mark at http://www.s2performance.net/ i got his s3 job done to my tb. also dont do the maf ends there is no need to what is there now is good to past 500hp, so just leave it. save the cash for other stuff like geting a better cat back like magnaflow.the sfc from umi are one of my fav mods so far get you the 3 point ones.

Thread Information