Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

what to do next

This is a discussion on what to do next within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; You want a night and day difference get a stall. Best single mod you can do to an auto....

Black
    99 Trans am

You want a night and day difference get a stall. Best single mod you can do to an auto.
    SLP CAI...P/P TB...LS6...PACESETTER LTS...TSP TDS...3.73s...UMI: STRUT-LCAs-TA-PH ROD-POLY MMs
    BILSTEINS/STRANO...FROST TUNE

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

They're like me in the sense that they appreciate almost all cars. They work where I work, and have helped me with some electrical work and know how to tune. No supra lol but Lexus is300 with same motor and they have turbos ready to go in. Anyways, could you elaborate on the effect of having a stall done... And what it is.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

There is a sticky about it in the external engine section. Sorry, can't link you from my phone.
    It's on jackstands.

Black
    99 Trans am

Read the sticky..Then whatch the videos...Then you'll have an idea... Bottom line, a stall (torque converter) throws you right in your power band. Improves et's dramaticaly. Best single mod for an auto hands down. I had one on my 01 TA... But I wrecked it...bought another one (the one I'm driving now) about a year ago. It will be stalled in about a month. I wanted to complete my exhaust first though. When it was installed in my 01 I couldn't beleive it, It really throws your head back in your seat.

Red
    2000 Z28

Try different rear end gears like a 3.73

I'd do a stall next and then suspension. You really need a stall before a cam and having the suspension ready for more power is a big plus. Too many people get wrapped up in power only to find out their car drives like crap because the suspension can't handle it. I personally would not do gears unless you can install them yourself. Putting money in the stock 10 bolt is a waste IMO. If you plan on putting 450hp to the ground start saving for a new rear.

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

Kay. Thanks for all the input, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one doing this from my phone lol. So basically i think I'm going stall, suspension, bigger cam. Then a rear end? I'll look for the sticky on the stalls. What is the stock gearing for my 02 z28? I've looked before, read threads, and people only talking about upgrading. I've seen upgrading from 10 bolt to 12 bolt. What does that mean?

Anyways, when my wife asks me why I'm always broke I'm just linking her to this thread! XD

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^2 different stock ratios for the rear gears. If you have all stock equipment, then a steel driveshaft means 2.73 rear gears. If you have an aluminum driveshaft, then you have the prefered stock set, 3.23. For AT cars, what works best if an aftermarket set of 3.73s, with a new, 3500 RPM stall converter. But even that stall will really wake up an otherwise stock car, with not much change in MPG.

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

from the front, what do you guys think of the halo projector

Quote Originally Posted by Justin D View Post
    ^^You should get some shots from the front and side profile pics. Never saw a ws6 on a camaro.^^

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^2 different stock ratios for the rear gears. If you have all stock equipment, then a steel driveshaft means 2.73 rear gears. If you have an aluminum driveshaft, then you have the prefered stock set, 3.23. For AT cars, what works best if an aftermarket set of 3.73s, with a new, 3500 RPM stall converter. But even that stall will really wake up an otherwise stock car, with not much change in MPG.
    Is there an easier way to tell?? something in the vin number? paper work.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by EPIDEMIC View Post
    Is there an easier way to tell?? something in the vin number? paper work.
    Yes. If the rear end is still factory, then these are the RPO codes:

GU2 - 2.73's
    GU5 - 3.23's Optional auto trans gear ratio
    GU6 - 3.42's Standard manual trans gear ratio

In your case, you'll either have a GU2 or GU5

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Quote Originally Posted by EPIDEMIC:2755122
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin D View Post
    ^^You should get some shots from the front and side profile pics. Never saw a ws6 on a camaro.^^

Love it man. I usually hate the ta hood on a Camaro (buddy has a 97 type hood on his 98z) and projector headlights, but this is done very tastefully and the lighting behind the grill really brings it all together. Kudos n well done. And for 1500? I'd probably go torque arm, sfc's, la's and a phb to ready it for power. I'm currently in the same stages with my 98 m6 ta and have plenty of research n associated spreadsheets to share! Lol

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

Ill check out the gearing. I do drive my car, fairly nicely when I do actually drive it. I try to keep it out of the texas sun as much as possible, so I dont like having it out of the garage. I try to take it easy on the car because im always so afraid somethings gonna go wrong lol.
    I think this week im going to order
    82-02 Camaro Firebird Lower Control Arms & Panhard Bar - Founders Performance LLC

and

Lower Control Arms Relocation Brackets - Founders Performance LLC

looking at the reviews, would i need the relocation brackets or just the control arm?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Drive it drive it drive it! Keep her in the garage when not driving. Park in shade whenever possible. And your links make me wanna get some rear LCAs/Panhard bar.

LCA relocation brackets are for lowered cars, from what I read. Yours is lowered?

Black
    99 Trans am

unless your lowered or plan on it I see no reason to get the re-lo brackets. You can get alot of suspension componets going with Founders. Their considerably cheaper than their competators.

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

I assumed mine wasn't lowered but I've seen other camaros that sit higher and I've learned to not assume stuff on my car is stock because whoever had it before me dropped some money into it. Gah, I wish I could talk to and ask that person about it lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Even if you aren't lowered, LCA relocation brackets will lower your instant center which will result in better traction. I had mine installed when I upgraded to my Moser 9" and I was not lowered at that time. They are essentially required on lowered cars because it allows the instant center to be put back to its original location.

From UMI's site:

Lower control arm relocation brackets reposition your instant center by changing your lower control arm angle for improved traction. Relocation brackets lower the rear of the control arm up to 3", a must for all lowered vehicles to correct lost suspension geometry. By lowering your vehicle, you are changing the lower control arm angle allowing the rear mounting point to sit higher than the front. This will, in return, cause wheel hop and a great deal of traction loss. Lower control arm relocation brackets allow you to correct this angle and gain back much needed traction. On a stock height vehicle relocation brackets will also work excellent to eliminate tire spin and wheel hop by changing the vehicles instant center point.

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

@ 35th Ann ss, for starters, thank you for all the help throughout this thread. From the sounds of it, its a cheap effective upgrade. To do these upgrades, can I just lift it up and do it at home?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Yes you can do these in the garage but with SFC's and LCA's you need to have the suspension loaded. You can do this 2 ways. Ramps or jack stands under the axle. I done all of my suspension mods in my garage with the exception of my SFC's (I bought weld in)

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

GM used stamped suspension and combined with the unibody, you lose a decent amount of torque. The ls1 stock has a lot of potential, if harnessed properly you'll have a new animal.

Doing the subframes connectors are aslo benefitial for preventing dimpling and seperation of rear quarter panels as well.

My suggestions would be
    1. Sub frame connectors
    2. Lower control arms with relocation brackets
    3. Panhard
    4. Torque arm (make sure to match it to your exhaust and rear end goals)
    5. Tunnel brace (if you don't get the relocation bracket for the torque arm)
    6. Rear end with new gears
    7. Stall

That'll be a beast of car and will transfer more of the power you add to the motor when you get there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information