Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Wink what do I need to get to 400 hp.

I have a 99 trans Am with 43,000 miles on it stock accept for ws6 air box and K&N air filter. plan on spending some money on it after 15 years of going stock, I feel that 400hp will be a nice 16th birthday gift. What do I need to have done to reach this number. Not buying a engine want to keep my low mileage engine. what places do any of you know of that take on a job like this and do great work not just good.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Well depending on your budget depends on how you get there. You can easily get well over 400 if you have the money. The cheapest route would be to get airbox lid, headers with a y-pipe and catback, cam, and ls6 (243 heads). You may be able to get away with out heads but I would suggest it especially if going with a big cam. I would suggest upgrading the suspension at some point as well as once you get higher in the power levels you will not be able to put that power to the ground adequately.

Also there are supporting upgrades I would do as well in order to prevent things from breaking from the additional power like a better timing chain and oil pump, upgraded valvesprings, chromoly pushrods, etc.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 09-20-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you're looking for 400rwhp, you'll need about 480hp at the crank. That's assuming a 17% drive train loss. If you want 400hp at the crank, that's only 50-60 more than you have now, or about 40 more rwhp. Big difference between the two. Which are you aiming for?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

want 400 at the crank. I noticed that you said that it would only be a 50 or 60hp bump in performance. what is the horsepower rating on this cars, like I said all I have done is a ws6 airbox a lid a k&n air filter and a ws6 hood.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well, the 99 has a little less than the 2001/2002 models since they have the LS6 intake. I didn't take that into consideration. I would guess about 320ish. LS1 later models are rated at 325, but in all honestly they are closer to 350. With that said, I would say that the LS6 intake, headers, and a full exhaust would put you at high 300's. Throw a cam in there and you'll easily be over 400. Try not to get too hyped about hitting an exact HP level though. The most important thing is that the car runs solid.

Red
    1997 pontiac firebird

Full bolt ons should get you really close to that goal.

headers cam converter tune

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Well, the 99 has a little less than the 2001/2002 models since they have the LS6 intake. I didn't take that into consideration. I would guess about 320ish. LS1 later models are rated at 325, but in all honestly they are closer to 350. With that said, I would say that the LS6 intake, headers, and a full exhaust would put you at high 300's. Throw a cam in there and you'll easily be over 400. Try not to get too hyped about hitting an exact HP level though. The most important thing is that the car runs solid.
    truth !!!

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Well since you have your intake upgraded already... I'd go with LT headers, SLP loudmouth 1 or 2 catback, Underdrive pulleys (those are cheep and it will give about 10hp), Cam, and some STICKY tires... that will definitely get the job done.
    Last edited by Alwyn the Wolf; 02-19-2015 at 09:49 AM.
    RIP 1999 T/A NAVY BLUE METALIC SLP Lid. BBK 80mm TB. High Lift Comp Cam. OR Y Pipe. SLP LM2. 3.73 Gears.
    1998 T/A WS6 BLACK. Volant Cold Air Induction. Ported TB. Straight Piped.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

For what its worth, my 98 came with a dyno from the previous owner when I bought it. 275 rwhp, 296 rwtq. I figure that puts it at around 320 - 325 at the crank. It had an air lid, K&N and a cat-back on it. Other than that, should be the same as the 99, I think, though the factory always rated the birds a few horsepower higher than the Camaros...
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

was that on a Mustang dyno or a very stingy dyno? That's quite low.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    For what its worth, my 98 came with a dyno from the previous owner when I bought it. 275 rwhp, 296 rwtq. I figure that puts it at around 320 - 325 at the crank. It had an air lid, K&N and a cat-back on it. Other than that, should be the same as the 99, I think, though the factory always rated the birds a few horsepower higher than the Camaros...
    I agree with SMWS6TA, that output sounds lowe compared to what Ive heard from every other dyno ( usually 290-300 rwhp).

As far as "'birds being rated a few horsepower higher than the Camaro" from the factory, where have you seen that? I havent seen a deviation between the two since late 80's 305 TPI automatics, mostly from the way the air was ducted. Between the two.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Every dyno is different. Hell, even the same dyno on the same day on the same car produces different results. Lots of variables involved. Air, dyno setup, humidity, temperature, elevation, tune, the dyno itself, how well was the motor running, cold run, hot run, hood open, hood closed, tire position on rollers, gear selection, rear end gearing, tire pressure, mass of the rear wheels, fuel octane, etc etc etc.

Wouldn't get too caught up on numbers.

Navy Blue Metallic

Jon I agree with what you said just that those numbers are quite a bit different then what I've normally seen with stock cars, Hell mine was with similar setup, A 98 with stock heads, dyno with a LS6 intake and LT's on a 85* day around 340ish with a Frost tune.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree they look a little low, but could have been a Mustang Dyno on a stock tune with a number of those variables hindering it some. Hard to tell when he wasn't there to witness it. A Frost tune and headers offer huge HP/TQ gains.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I don't know the details or even whether the couple of bolt-ons were installed when the dyno was run. All I know for sure is that it was done somewhere in Washington state. Altitude was probably a little bit high, but I don't know (I'm basing this off of how fast I can run in WA vs some of the lower altitudes in southern states, such as NC or MO... I was always slower in WA).

In any case, that same set up with only a ported throttle body added to it was able to hang with an LS2 Corvette from about 25 to 105 before the Corvette started to pull away (and only very slightly)... though that could also be attributed to the driver mod.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I agree with SMWS6TA, that output sounds lowe compared to what Ive heard from every other dyno ( usually 290-300 rwhp).

As far as "'birds being rated a few horsepower higher than the Camaro" from the factory, where have you seen that? I havent seen a deviation between the two since late 80's 305 TPI automatics, mostly from the way the air was ducted. Between the two.
    I seem to remember the SS being rated for 325 or 335 horsepower and the WS6 being rated for 345... the wayback machine might be able to confirm this...

2002 WS6 rated for 325 HP/350 ft.lbs http://web.archive.org/web/200212131...ransam_coupe#1

2002 SS rated for 325 HP/350 ft.lbs http://web.archive.org/web/200304131...am_catalog.pdf

Maybe it was the Firehawk... :/
    Last edited by Naaman; 02-20-2015 at 12:54 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

That might be the culprit right there. Altitude.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-20-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I believe 325HP was the rating for the standard WS6 and SS package. Cars which came equipped with the SLP lid/cat back were said to have been rated at 345HP.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I believe 325HP was the rating for the standard WS6 and SS package. Cars which came equipped with the SLP lid/cat back were said to have been rated at 345HP.
    Yeah, okay... that's what I thought.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I watched a trex cam with stock heads, true duals, long tubes, and an m6 put down just shy of 415rwhp. 2002 SS.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information