View Poll Results: What CAI kit do you own? (SLP, FTRA, SSRA)

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • SLP

76 58.46%
  • Fast Toys Ram Air (FTRA)

20 15.38%
  • Super Sucker Ram Air (SSRA)

13 10.00%
  • None/I've never heard these

21 16.15%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

What CAI kit do you own? (SLP, FTRA, SSRA)

This is a discussion on What CAI kit do you own? (SLP, FTRA, SSRA) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by rapter34 I have SLP and I cut out the baffles and the piece to the radiator. would ...

Quote Originally Posted by rapter34 View Post
    I have SLP and I cut out the baffles and the piece to the radiator. would adding a SSRA really do that much more?
    Wow I really lost track of this little thread. Been a long time.

Well I track tested the car, alot of scanning last summer and fall with and without the added duct work to the SLP kit I had on the car.

With just the SLP kit alone, I did notice about a 10 degree drop in air intake temps once the car is moving along down from what it used to have. At the track the gains were neglegable. I saw a variance of about 1/2 a tenth and mph was roughly the same, thats a full quarter mile. The DA I have on record that day was within a couple hundred of my original stock runs. Close enough to not really be a factor here.

I went back with the added duct work to lower the SLP kit below the bumper line. Initial test driving around town didn't show any lower air intake temps on the scanner so I didn't have my hopes up.

Car still runs more or less the same ET's and MPH's at the track so I really didn't find anything with my car. Oh well. At the time I was hoping for something. This has been a while, I have since removed the lower section late last year. With that said I'll step out on a limb here and say that in my case,,,,,,,,,,the SLP, FTRA and SSRA all accomplish about the same results. If there were any HP differences at all,,,it wasn't enough to really push the MPH up any over the SLP kit. I'd say any one of the three kits would be a good addition, so it would make sense to go with which ever one is more budget friendly.

Oh yes just to add as this could be crucial,,,my car is an SS with a functional hood already in place. With the hood that already funnels in outside air,,,,,it's possible that after the SLP kit was installed the engine had all it needed at this point and the addition of the lower duct work simply wasn't necessary in my case, therefore no gain was noticed??????,,,,this is purely a guess though,,,I'm just thinking out loud here.

Sorry for the late reply. It takes a while to compile information with track testing not to mention losing track of the thread among other obligations. I had to go back to my paperwork when this thread popped back up. Cheers.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-04-2008 at 01:33 PM.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

I hear that with the functional hood and CAI is a bad idea cuz the hood negates the CAI?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin23454 View Post
    I hear that with the functional hood and CAI is a bad idea cuz the hood negates the CAI?
    Ya it does. But the SS hoods are not that efficient. If you take a good look underneath you can see how the air has to make a pair of 180 degree turns to get into the air box.

The design works but it can be improved upon. SAM did this back in the late 90's when they tested a brand new 99 SS camaro. Simply cutting on the hood opening in front of the box helped the car. For some reason the factory has rather small square holes here.

They also cut open the shrouding underneath the box, (aka: free ram air mod) and found some gains as well. Doing much the same as the SSRA, FTRA and the SLP kit does only with ductwork.

The WS6 hood is much more efficient with the air going directly into the box. Not to mention the Ws6 got a much better airbox setup to begin with, that sits up about an inch higher than the SS box letting even more air in.

I have 2 other cars with functional hoods,,,, a chevelle with cowl induction and a ram air formula which has a hood much like the 4th gen WS6. Experimenting with these cars I have found some strange results, but I do believe in the affectiveness of the functional hoods. Completely blocking any of them off does indeed slow them down a pinch.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

I never posted in this thread.. I own a Volant.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Volant man myself. just love the look.

2000 SS

I ended hydrolocking my motor with the SSRA. If you end up with a kit like this dont drive where there is too much water

Black
    2000 Z-28

Man that sucks. I have the FTRA and whenevery I'm going through puddles I try to be really careful and not accelerate at all if possible.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Volant CAI.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

wow, i cant believe more than half the people who replied to this thing bought the craptacular slp kit. here's a bump to the thread in the hopes it saves even 1 more person from making that mistake.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WEZONIT View Post
    I ended hydrolocking my motor with the SSRA. If you end up with a kit like this dont drive where there is too much water
    did you drive through a lake or something? this is the first time i've ever heard of someone doing that with an ssra. i've had mine on for about 2 years now and no probs, and i live on the east coast where it rains a lot. the only way i can see this happening to you is if you went through water deep enough to come up to and over your front grill....in which case you shouldnt be driving a car like this anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    wow, i cant believe more than half the people who replied to this thing bought the craptacular slp kit. here's a bump to the thread in the hopes it saves even 1 more person from making that mistake.
    I'm actually quite happy with the SLP kit. It doesn't hang so low to the point I worry about water.

Not to mention the fact that I added the lower duct work from SSRA to the existing SLP kit and saw no significant gains anyway.

In my case either one gets the job done. So much so that on my second SS camaro I just purchased I'm not bothering with any of the cold air kits at all,,,,no sense in spending the money from what I have found,,,,,I simply opened up the plastic air dam under the box (aka free ram air) and I'm done with it.

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

Wow, there is a lot of good information in this thread. I'm glad I read it as I am about to add a cold air intake to my car.

I had already ruled out the SLP due to the price versus the competition, but I was looking at some other set-ups.

I don't think I am going with an under-the-bumper style. I think I will stick with the SS ram-air function and see how it works with an open element in a sealed box like the Volant has. I know the SS hood is less than perfect but I might try playing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    In my case either one gets the job done. So much so that on my second SS camaro I just purchased I'm not bothering with any of the cold air kits at all,,,,no sense in spending the money from what I have found,,,,,I simply opened up the plastic air dam under the box (aka free ram air) and I'm done with it.
    Could you explain this a little more, please? What exactly has to be done for this to work?

Quote Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor View Post
    Wow, there is a lot of good information in this thread. I'm glad I read it as I am about to add a cold air intake to my car.

I had already ruled out the SLP due to the price versus the competition, but I was looking at some other set-ups.

I don't think I am going with an under-the-bumper style. I think I will stick with the SS ram-air function and see how it works with an open element in a sealed box like the Volant has. I know the SS hood is less than perfect but I might try playing with it.

Could you explain this a little more, please? What exactly has to be done for this to work?

Well the SS hood can be made to work better than OEM. SAM experimented with it back in 1999 and did a nice write up on it. Simply cutting open the small rectangular openings on the hood (right in front of the box) improved ET/MPH,,,,they did some other tricks as well.
    I believe it's on their website.

The free ramair trick has been around since the LS1 Fbody was introduced. You simply remove the upper radiator support, air box, and the lower radiator shroud. Cutting away the plastic only below the box to allow fresh outside air to enter from under the car in front of the radiator.

This alone is worth some ponies. Then you can take that a step further if you wish and purchase any one of the cold air kits from SLP, FTRA, or SSRA which simply fills this hole with ductwork that more or less directs the air to the air box.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

SAM experimented with it back in 1999 and did a nice write up on it.
    I believe it's on their website.
    What is this link.........................

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    What is this link.........................
    It's actually called School of Automotive Machinist,,,or SAM for short.

They actually still have that test car they bought new in 99,,,a hugger orange SS that they still use in LSX shootouts and such,,,although now it has morphed into a completely different animal.

I'll see if I can find the site and post a link.

http://www.samracing.com/

Here ya go. This is a link to the site. A picture of the very car is on the front page. There is a video at the bottom of the car racing and some commentary where they feel it's the fastest naturally aspirated LS1 in the country now, and still a 6 speed, pretty cool stuff. As you can see the car has morphed into a stout piece now.

I didn't take the time to search the site but this is the very car they tested in 1999 with simple little tricks to see how fast it would go. Most of which we call the free mods now.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Aonther Volant Ownerrr

black
    98transam

voalnt cai HERE..

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

http://www.samracing.com/

Here ya go. This is a link to the site. A picture of the very car is on the front page. There is a video at the bottom of the car racing and some commentary where they feel it's the fastest naturally aspirated LS1 in the country now, and still a 6 speed, pretty cool stuff. As you can see the car has morphed into a stout piece now.

I didn't take the time to search the site but this is the very car they tested in 1999 with simple little tricks to see how fast it would go. Most of which we call the free mods now.
    Good link Larry.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

white
    2000 Z28

the ss hood and the cais save for volant would cause more problems on induction then help for sure. think of it like 2 groups of people all running at a door and all of them getting there at the same time. it makes a huge mess with everyone fighting to get in therefore less people get in quicker. air has that same problem with our intakes. looking at that situation in the mechanical sense it would be best to open and seal one airway as opposed to cramming air in multiple ways. airflow is easily interrupted.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information