View Poll Results: What CAI kit do you own? (SLP, FTRA, SSRA)

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • SLP

76 58.46%
  • Fast Toys Ram Air (FTRA)

20 15.38%
  • Super Sucker Ram Air (SSRA)

13 10.00%
  • None/I've never heard these

21 16.15%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

What CAI kit do you own? (SLP, FTRA, SSRA)

This is a discussion on What CAI kit do you own? (SLP, FTRA, SSRA) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I imagine they will be up again very shortly....

2000 SS

I imagine they will be up again very shortly.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

wow my little thread has really taken off. it's nice to see a few other people getting the ssra over the slp piece too.

2000 SS

The best part about it is you can convert your SLP into an SSRA for fairly cheap if you wish to do so.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

if you're gonna go through all that you might as well just get the ssra to begin with. it'd be cheaper and easier than converting either the slp or ftra into the ssra.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Why would you convert the ftra into the ssra....aren't they basically the same thing?
    Vote for Pedro.

Some information

As already stated a few times, the SLP kit is really a cold air kit as there is no air being directly routed into the intake.

Both the FTRA and the SSRA directly route air into a sealed air box. The difference between these systems are as follows:

1. FTRA made of strong T304 stainless steel. This sill last the life of your vehicle. The SSRA is made of plastic which can be damaged on curbs (as already stated). SSRA supporters will say that plastic doesn't heat soak but in actual testing of the FTRA, intake temperatures are close to ambient so it really doesn't affect performance.

2. SSRA employs a visible scoop that you screw to the lower bumper cover. The scoop catches air and routes it to the air box. The FTRA uses a ram air plate that takes advantage of the lower air deflector on Camaro/Firebirds. Since these cars are designed as bottom breathers, this is a very high pressure spot on the vehicle. The ram air plate is completely hidden unless you stick your head right under the car and cannot be broken on curbs etc. The ram air plate attaches using factory screw hole positions. No drilling is required on your bumper etc.

3. The FTRA includes a block off plate for testing and very poor weather. The SSRA does not.

4. The FTRA costs less than the SSRA

5. SSRA supporters will indicate that their kit doesn't affect cooling while the FTRA does. In reality, the top portions of the SSRA and the FTRA sit in the exact same spot in front of the AC condenser. Both of these will impact cooling but to a small degree. The bottom portions differ. In 9 years of selling the FTRA we know of only 1 customer that ever had cooling problems and it was because he was pulling a trailer in desert heat. We have kits in CA, FL, Hawaii and the middle east.

In all fairness, the performance between the two kits is going to be very similiar since the upper portions are almost identical. Buy the kit you feel will give you the longest life, the look you want, the features you need and the best customer service.

Here is an unbiased 3rd party review of the FTRA by an engineer:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins..._12.262000.htm

Please note their gains were only in the 1/8 mile. Gains in the 1/4 mile would be much greater.

red
    2000 Camaro

good info in there

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

K&N Air intake kit. Lucky for me was already on the car from the previous owner when i bought it from the dealer.

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

volant for me

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ok I have the Volant because I wanted one that would seal against the hood. I had planned on a Raptor hood and didn't like the air kit that is sold with the hood. The volant should work perfect for that hood. Filters right where the air comes in and seals against the hood to keep all hot air out. BTW if you live in a southern state the pavement holds and releases alot of heat right where the lower ram intake installs. Noticed a difference in my Mustang i used to have when I switched from the underbumper ram to the ram air hood. Post pics soon as the hood comes and I have time to mix some paint and spray it.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Volant and S & B here.
    You need a other choice!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

SLP for me...

I love my T/A

silver
    1999 Trans Am

I have the K&N as well and really like it. It actually does a pretty good job at isolating the intake to the cold air side via the rather large heat shield. Also, K&N is a highly reputable brand and I know they take the time to really test their products during the R&D phase. Anyway's, it's really all in what you want, and the best part about this is we all have non-rice-burning V8's that we can discuss, argue, and agree to disagree about. WooHoo!!

rapter34
    I have SLP and I cut out the baffles and the piece to the radiator. would adding a SSRA really do that much more?

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Volant

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rapter34 View Post
    I have SLP and I cut out the baffles and the piece to the radiator. would adding a SSRA really do that much more?
    yes, the slp piece extends less than half the distance of the ssra. so the ssra does a better job of sucking in air, which will give you more hp. put it this way, if slp claims their kit makes an extra 10 hp (and we all know how inflated their claims are) you'll be lucky to get an extra 6 or 7 outta it. THe ssra has been DYNOED and gotten over 13 extra hp AT THE WHEELS. if slp sold the ssra kit they'd claim it got an extra 20 hp lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I've use the SLP CAI and didn't find it to be too helpful. I could monitor the IATs with my Predator and didn't notice much of a benefit over the FRA. IT DID increase my coolant temperatures however.

The only CAI I'd do now will be in conjunction with a hood (i.e. Ultra Z hood with airbox.)

red
    2002 Z/28

FTRA. I've had them on both of my Camaros. They are easy to install, and they work.
    2002 Z/28 A4
    12.67 @ 110.15
    03 GMC RCSB
    14.40 @ 94.53 mph
    02 Z06 Sold
    Pewter 2001 Z/28 M6 SOLD
    1/4- 11.15 @ 124.68

Laser Red
    2004 Infiniti G35 Sport C

just for the record, when you buy a ftra or ssra does it come with a new airlid or do you retain your stock airlid??

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

does anyone kow if there is much for a diff with FTRA and SSRA?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information