View Poll Results: What CAI kit do you own? (SLP, FTRA, SSRA)

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • SLP

76 58.46%
  • Fast Toys Ram Air (FTRA)

20 15.38%
  • Super Sucker Ram Air (SSRA)

13 10.00%
  • None/I've never heard these

21 16.15%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

What CAI kit do you own? (SLP, FTRA, SSRA)

This is a discussion on What CAI kit do you own? (SLP, FTRA, SSRA) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Well I agree with Ripper on this. The other cold air kits are talked about enough on here. The ones ...

Well I agree with Ripper on this. The other cold air kits are talked about enough on here. The ones he is mentioning here are so seldom seen or mentioned that most people (including myself) never even heard of them.
    I am thankfull for the post, and the links provided with pictures is the kind of info I needed. Larry.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    Ok man, thanks a lot for the response. I think i'm gonna try to seal it up w/ something, but i rreally don't know what i could use. Have any ideas?
    Try weather stripping or door weather stripping like you get at home depot, or loews, ace hardware, or something.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    Try weather stripping or door weather stripping like you get at home depot, or loews, ace hardware, or something.
    The other day i tried to use some ruberized gasket material, and it seemed like it would work. I used a mixture of superglue and rtv sealant to get it to stick to the plastic, but it kept kinda poping off so i had to pin it down w/ a combo of wrenches and screwdrivers until the sealant and glue dried, but i am not too happy w/ the way it came out, and the holes were def smaller than 4 inches per side. Probably like 2 inches, But u had a good idea and i will try that. however i seriously doubt that im really losing power, cuz the way the system naturally sits its not completely air tight even if i smashed the cai down in there.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Yep! i think you'll be fine the way it is. You're getting plenty of air as it is.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well I agree with Ripper on this. The other cold air kits are talked about enough on here. The ones he is mentioning here are so seldom seen or mentioned that most people (including myself) never even heard of them.
    I am thankfull for the post, and the links provided with pictures is the kind of info I needed. Larry.
    thanks. yeah i was basically just trying to raise awareness about the ssra and fast toys kits. as you can see, more than twice as many people have the slp kit than the other 2 combined....which isn't a good thing. most people on other forums agree that the slp is by far the worst of these 3 kits in terms of performance and price. so to anyone out there who is thinking of getting a cai kit, i would strongly recommend against the slp. i think a lot of noobies out there just buy the slp flowpac kit as their first mod thinking it's really gonna add 30+ hp and be worth the $300+ when in reality the only worthwhile part of the kit is the lid. i was really close to doing the same thing when i first got interested in modding my car, but luckily i found some of these message boards first and had people advise me against it. i'm just trying to return the favor now.

All is not lost with the SLP kit though, as you posted a link from one of those manufactures that has an adaptor to extend the SLP ductwork down lower to catch more air. So you assentially fix what SLP didn't do and end up with the same thing the others offer. And it's only $50. I am ordering mine next week. Larry.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    yea i dont really consider the volant and k&n fipk cai kits. they're basically just lids with open filters. i was only really referring to undercar boxes, that's why i only posted those in 3 poll options. to the guy who asked if the ssra comes with a blockoff plate, no it doesnt, but all you really need to do if you want one would be to cut out a piece of cardboard (from the box it came in even) to fit the size of the opening under the lid and put it in. you would only really need to do that if you decided to drive through a hurricane or something and were concerned about water getting in. but myself and many others have driven through pretty good rainstorms w/o problems so far.

the volant is not even close to a lid.
    if you look at it close, its a sealed system with two cones that are right in front of the nostrils.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

http://www.ls1.com/forums/attachment...7&d=1177272111

its seals right up to the hood, its a cai, just not the ssra type.

Ya it's about the same as the SS and WS6 cars come with only without a lid. And since I already have an SS car with a functional hood I'm really not interested in changing the lid like that.
    But what does concern me about that volant setup is why not take advantage of the air from the bottom side that comes up in front of the radiator too,,,it appears that volant system blocks this off, and it's pretty common to even cut out an opening on stock setups for extra air, considered one of the free mods, why not do that with the Volant as well?
    It looks like the Volant is limiting itself to just air from right under the tip of the hood, and there is so much more to be had from underneath as well.
    It seems with a little work and enginuity you could adapt cold air duct work to the bottom of the volant and get twice the amount of cold air you are now,,,or even better and cheaper yet, just cut the bottom of the tub open so you can grab some more air. Although this may cause heat soak when the engine is not running, then that could simply be solved by adapting the duct work as I mentioned.
    Plus for me, the duct work underneath is much more stealthy, it's unnoticable and cannot even be seen with the hood up,,,which I like. Larry.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

there is no way the volant or fipk will produce as much power as a normal lid with another cai kit like ftra or ssra, even though it costs more $. simply because those take advantage of the air coming in from underneath the car whereas the volant and fipk depend on air coming in through the cutouts in the hood, which everyone agrees aren't really that good. the consensus seems to be that the ws6 hood almost does something but that the ss hood is a piece of crap because it has to go through that little hole, and make 2 180 degree turns to get into the lid.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

This is a great thread! I've been wanting to learn more about this!

I currently have the K&N FIPK on my 2002 SS. Do you guys think there would be a benefit to adding the SSRA to bring in air from underneath? I'm not sure of how the FIPK would effect how the SSRA channels the air. Any thoughts?
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Yes, anytime you can add more air from the outside it's a good thing. I have an SS camaro and still did the ram air mod underneath, albiet with an SLP kit, but still the same affect.
    Ripper is correct, the WS6 hoods were pretty decent and effective but the SS design sucked. They showed this way back when the cars were new in a side by side comparison. I knew this going in which is why grabbing air from underneath was the first mod I did,,,there is no reason to limit yourself to just the small openings at the front of the nose,,,grab some air from underneath. Just cutting out the plastic under the box is a worthy improvement by itself, even if you don't opt for the duct work. Larry.

white
    2002 z28

lets face it these cars get most of the air from undernieth. not like the old days soo ill go w/ a lid and FTRA any day IMO

white
    2002 z28

how hard is it to install the FAST TOYS RAM AIR KIT THOE? i know its just a simple bolt on but....

I couldn't comment on the Fast Toys piece, but if it's anything like the SLP kit I installed, which is similar,,,it's not that bad.
    I spent a couple hours on mine, and that was mainly measuring once, and measuring again to make sure the cuts were in the right places,,,and I spent alot of time deburing the cuts and cleaning everything up,,,although it can't be seen, I am kinda picky.
    I am now going to order the lower piece that attaches to the SLP upper section and brings the duct work down lower to catch more air. Adding that shouldn't be a big deal at all. I may modify it slightly because I am not going to drill holes in the car. Larry.

white
    2002 z28

yea i looked at FTRA instructions a while ago and i think its a lil more to do. after cutting the air filter houseing i think you have to cut the raditaor shroud and some other stuff

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

FTRA here.

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    yea i looked at FTRA instructions a while ago and i think its a lil more to do. after cutting the air filter houseing i think you have to cut the raditaor shroud and some other stuff
    Ya I had to cut the air box base and the radiator shroud as well to do the SLP kit.

white
    2002 z28

could you fell a differnece on the slp. or do you think it needs the lower add on piece.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Airbox lid.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information