Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

What are the best cut outs?

This is a discussion on What are the best cut outs? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Doug's cutouts are very nice. Not in my price range though lol....

  1. #41
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Upstate, SC
    Posts
    76

    Black
    1999 camaro

    Doug's cutouts are very nice. Not in my price range though lol.

  2. #42
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Aren't the headers made by "Doug Thorley" or something like that? I think I have seen pictures of the cutouts. Rather than a butterfly they utilize a gate of some sort if I recall. Not sure is it is the same manufacturer though.

  3. #43
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    I'm concidering a DMH used cutout. you Guy's say the electric motors burn out rather quickly
    No we said the QTP ones burn out.

  4. #44
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Aren't the headers made by "Doug Thorley" or something like that? I think I have seen pictures of the cutouts. Rather than a butterfly they utilize a gate of some sort if I recall. Not sure is it is the same manufacturer though.
    Ya Doug Thorley is who I was referring to. I was wondering the same thing, don't know if they are his cutouts or not.

    I have however seen those gated cutouts, they have one major flaw. They are larger than the screw type motors. They are harder to package in smaller places.
    That's the whole reason the screw motors with flap doors hit the market and became popular. Easier to package.

  5. #45
    Senior Member SteveCZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greene, Iowa
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,707

    Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

    i have a dmh....got it from a dsm site for 125 brand new out of box....installed it, and you have to somewhat "break in" the cutout valve. you have to let your car/exhaust come up to temp for like 20 minutes i believe before you can actually open the valve. but i havent had a single problem with my cutout at all

    this is for the first install. once broke in this one time your set
    Last edited by SteveCZ28; 02-08-2011 at 12:59 AM.

  6. #46
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    KY Speed (site sponsor).

    Click for full size
    WOW!! How do you keep it so clean under there?! Incredible. Looks like it's always in a showroom and never hits the street.

  7. #47
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    ... The electric cutouts however on the chevelle, are an absolute blast. ...
    Couldn't have said it any better.

  8. #48
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    WOW!! How do you keep it so clean under there?! Incredible. Looks like it's always in a showroom and never hits the street.

    Almost 75,000 miles on her now. Car was originally sold in California and then brought to New York at some point before wandering across the border into PA. Fortunately, it appears to have never been driven in the winter as NY salt would have killed it. I simply scrubbed down the underside with a sponge and Simple Green.

  9. #49
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    On a personal level, i see no need for dumps outside of race track use. I mean why do you want a car to sound like a garbage truck.
    You obviously didn't hang around the drag strip as a kid. Open headers are sweet music. If your engine sounds like a dump truck,,,then you need another engine,,,just sayin

    With good compression for some pop, a nice cam, and snappy throttle response, there is nothing better. Us old folgies can appreciate it I guess.

  10. #50
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You obviously didn't hang around the drag strip as a kid. Open headers are sweet music. If your engine sounds like a dump truck,,,then you need another engine,,,just sayin

    With good compression for some pop, a nice cam, and snappy throttle response, there is nothing better. Us old folgies can appreciate it I guess.
    It's nice.

  11. #51
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    It's nice.
    I'm just poking fun at him

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm just poking fun at him
    Alot of people on here say a cut out with long tubes, or loudmouth 1 sounds like a dump/farm truck. I want something loud as hell and was so close to getting lm1 but then I started a last min job that wont allow it haha

  13. #53
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Alot of people on here say a cut out with long tubes, or loudmouth 1 sounds like a dump/farm truck. I want something loud as hell and was so close to getting lm1 but then I started a last min job that wont allow it haha
    It's the first I've ever heard someone say a V8 with open headers sounds like a dump truck. That's basically what you have with a cutout.

    Maybe it's the sound people are getting when they do a single cutout half way down an I-pipe??? I don't know since I never do it that way. After all, you are trying to funnel 8 cylinders on seperate banks down to a single pipe, maybe it would sound funny

    When it comes to cutouts,,,,or open headers, the only way to do it in my opinion is to put the cutouts as close to the header collectors as possible,,,on both sides. Unfortunately with 4th gens that's a bit tricky.

    Here's one of mine that I did......


  14. #54
    ^^^ Looks great

    Im not sure if I should go simple and drop the cut out in the 2.75" I pipe or go 3". I am staying stock interals so im not sure what it would gain.

  15. #55
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Hard to say. Most of the time if I have an exhaust system that is already doing a pretty good job of scavenging, I generally don't see all that much difference in ET or MPH at the track either way.
    The car in the pic above is a good example of that. I might see a tenth or so with 640 HP.

    On the other side of that, I have another car here that will pick up a solid 3 tenths with the cutouts open.

  16. #56
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    i have a dmh and you have to somewhat "break in" the cutout valve. you have to let your car/exhaust come up to temp for like 20 minutes i believe before you can actually open the valve.
    Not true. Yours probably needs some realligning. Mine opens right up, cold or warm since day one.

  17. #57
    Member ebdboudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Age
    31
    Posts
    206
    99' 30th Ann TA

    Yes it is the same as the Doug's Headers... His cutouts do operate a little differently....

    http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Hard to say. Most of the time if I have an exhaust system that is already doing a pretty good job of scavenging, I generally don't see all that much difference in ET or MPH at the track either way.
    The car in the pic above is a good example of that. I might see a tenth or so with 640 HP.

    On the other side of that, I have another car here that will pick up a solid 3 tenths with the cutouts open.
    What would you do? I could have my shop fab up a 3 " intermediate pipe or stick with the 2.75".

  19. #59
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    What would you do? I could have my shop fab up a 3 " intermediate pipe or stick with the 2.75".
    If you are going to stick with the stock system and just do a single cutout, I'd do that and try to position it as close to the Y as you can get away with.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If you are going to stick with the stock system and just do a single cutout, I'd do that and try to position it as close to the Y as you can get away with.
    It wont throw any codes if the cut out is after the cats right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. cut outs
    By cspeich2011 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
  2. Question: cut outs?
    By 10erg01 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
  3. cut outs...
    By mr_r0bert0 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 03:31 PM
  4. Cut Outs
    By jz28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM
  5. What Cut-outs should I get!!!!!!
    By Bangbus in forum General Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •