Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What are the best cut outs?

This is a discussion on What are the best cut outs? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Doug's cutouts are very nice. Not in my price range though lol....

Black
    1999 camaro

Doug's cutouts are very nice. Not in my price range though lol.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Aren't the headers made by "Doug Thorley" or something like that? I think I have seen pictures of the cutouts. Rather than a butterfly they utilize a gate of some sort if I recall. Not sure is it is the same manufacturer though.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    I'm concidering a DMH used cutout. you Guy's say the electric motors burn out rather quickly
    No we said the QTP ones burn out.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Aren't the headers made by "Doug Thorley" or something like that? I think I have seen pictures of the cutouts. Rather than a butterfly they utilize a gate of some sort if I recall. Not sure is it is the same manufacturer though.
    Ya Doug Thorley is who I was referring to. I was wondering the same thing, don't know if they are his cutouts or not.

I have however seen those gated cutouts, they have one major flaw. They are larger than the screw type motors. They are harder to package in smaller places.
    That's the whole reason the screw motors with flap doors hit the market and became popular. Easier to package.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i have a dmh....got it from a dsm site for 125 brand new out of box....installed it, and you have to somewhat "break in" the cutout valve. you have to let your car/exhaust come up to temp for like 20 minutes i believe before you can actually open the valve. but i havent had a single problem with my cutout at all

this is for the first install. once broke in this one time your set
    Last edited by SteveCZ28; 02-08-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    KY Speed (site sponsor).

Click for full size
    WOW!! How do you keep it so clean under there?! Incredible. Looks like it's always in a showroom and never hits the street.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    ... The electric cutouts however on the chevelle, are an absolute blast. ...
    Couldn't have said it any better.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    WOW!! How do you keep it so clean under there?! Incredible. Looks like it's always in a showroom and never hits the street.

Almost 75,000 miles on her now. Car was originally sold in California and then brought to New York at some point before wandering across the border into PA. Fortunately, it appears to have never been driven in the winter as NY salt would have killed it. I simply scrubbed down the underside with a sponge and Simple Green.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    On a personal level, i see no need for dumps outside of race track use. I mean why do you want a car to sound like a garbage truck.
    You obviously didn't hang around the drag strip as a kid. Open headers are sweet music. If your engine sounds like a dump truck,,,then you need another engine,,,just sayin

With good compression for some pop, a nice cam, and snappy throttle response, there is nothing better. Us old folgies can appreciate it I guess.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

You obviously didn't hang around the drag strip as a kid. Open headers are sweet music. If your engine sounds like a dump truck,,,then you need another engine,,,just sayin

With good compression for some pop, a nice cam, and snappy throttle response, there is nothing better. Us old folgies can appreciate it I guess.
    It's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    It's nice.
    I'm just poking fun at him

I'm just poking fun at him
    Alot of people on here say a cut out with long tubes, or loudmouth 1 sounds like a dump/farm truck. I want something loud as hell and was so close to getting lm1 but then I started a last min job that wont allow it haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Alot of people on here say a cut out with long tubes, or loudmouth 1 sounds like a dump/farm truck. I want something loud as hell and was so close to getting lm1 but then I started a last min job that wont allow it haha
    It's the first I've ever heard someone say a V8 with open headers sounds like a dump truck. That's basically what you have with a cutout.

Maybe it's the sound people are getting when they do a single cutout half way down an I-pipe??? I don't know since I never do it that way. After all, you are trying to funnel 8 cylinders on seperate banks down to a single pipe, maybe it would sound funny

When it comes to cutouts,,,,or open headers, the only way to do it in my opinion is to put the cutouts as close to the header collectors as possible,,,on both sides. Unfortunately with 4th gens that's a bit tricky.

Here's one of mine that I did......

^^^ Looks great

Im not sure if I should go simple and drop the cut out in the 2.75" I pipe or go 3". I am staying stock interals so im not sure what it would gain.

Hard to say. Most of the time if I have an exhaust system that is already doing a pretty good job of scavenging, I generally don't see all that much difference in ET or MPH at the track either way.
    The car in the pic above is a good example of that. I might see a tenth or so with 640 HP.

On the other side of that, I have another car here that will pick up a solid 3 tenths with the cutouts open.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    i have a dmh and you have to somewhat "break in" the cutout valve. you have to let your car/exhaust come up to temp for like 20 minutes i believe before you can actually open the valve.
    Not true. Yours probably needs some realligning. Mine opens right up, cold or warm since day one.

99' 30th Ann TA

Yes it is the same as the Doug's Headers... His cutouts do operate a little differently....

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

Hard to say. Most of the time if I have an exhaust system that is already doing a pretty good job of scavenging, I generally don't see all that much difference in ET or MPH at the track either way.
    The car in the pic above is a good example of that. I might see a tenth or so with 640 HP.

On the other side of that, I have another car here that will pick up a solid 3 tenths with the cutouts open.
    What would you do? I could have my shop fab up a 3 " intermediate pipe or stick with the 2.75".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    What would you do? I could have my shop fab up a 3 " intermediate pipe or stick with the 2.75".
    If you are going to stick with the stock system and just do a single cutout, I'd do that and try to position it as close to the Y as you can get away with.

If you are going to stick with the stock system and just do a single cutout, I'd do that and try to position it as close to the Y as you can get away with.
    It wont throw any codes if the cut out is after the cats right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information