Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What are the best cut outs?

This is a discussion on What are the best cut outs? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by pajeff02 You have to cut a section out of your mid-pipe and weld in the Flowtech. Could ...

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You have to cut a section out of your mid-pipe and weld in the Flowtech. Could use band clamps I suppose, but I have not seen one in person installed with clamps.
    Cool. I think I might just have my shop order and install the parts.

What do you think of this
    Gotta love the price
    Last edited by Mike0202; 02-04-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ That works... but we are not supposed to link non-sponsor websites. Can you edit your post, please?

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

Aside from having a louder car I also would have a tough time justifying the cost. It's a nice option to have the tone and volume at the flick of a switch. It's also nice to be able to turn it off when unwanted attention (neighbors and law) might cause problems. The extra $$$ could be spent on any number of other mods. I guess a second cutout should only be after other wants on my list are acquired.

^^ That works... but we are not supposed to link non-sponsor websites. Can you edit your post, please?
    Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by parnelligq View Post
    Aside from having a louder car I also would have a tough time justifying the cost. It's a nice option to have the tone and volume at the flick of a switch. It's also nice to be able to turn it off when unwanted attention (neighbors and law) might cause problems. The extra $$$ could be spent on any number of other mods. I guess a second cutout should only be after other wants on my list are acquired.
    Well a cut out will out flow any cat back and the manual ones are around 40 bills. I was going to get a lm1 but now it looks like I will be going into law enforcement and I cant be driving around with something that insane lolz

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

Well the Y2KZ has open LT's. They flow great but two of the guys on my block are with the county sheriff. If I run it down the street they will be at my doorstep.

silver
    99 ws6

I'm concidering a DMH used cutout.

you Guy's say the electric motors burn out rather quickly

? when a DMH EC doe's burn out can I crawl under the car and force it open and force it closed w/ my hand like it was a manuel type?

or if it out of warrenty can the electric motor be replaced?

Thanks

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    I'm concidering a DMH used cutout.

you Guy's say the electric motors burn out rather quickly

? when a DMH EC doe's burn out can I crawl under the car and force it open and force it closed w/ my hand like it was a manuel type?

or if it out of warrenty can the electric motor be replaced?

Thanks

I have no idea. Easiest thing would be to remove it and install a regular cap with bolts, lock washers and wing nuts. Old school.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've had mine for two years (dmh) and no issues.

Black
    1999 camaro

I'll be the minority... Badlanz HPE cutout

i hope its ear bleeding loud with it open lol

I'm more of a dual cutout person, and run dual setups on 3 cars.

On one of them I do run the DMH cutouts, and they have been on there about 4 years now without a single issue. Dave is a great guy to deal with too. I dealt with him personally as his shop was about 10 miles from mine at the time.
    Manual cutouts aren't bad, I still have that on the other 2 cars. I can reach under and pull them off in 30 seconds or so,,,and they generally only come off while I'm at the track anyway,,,(3-4 times a year) with these particular cars. So it's not that big of a deal.

The electric cutouts however on the chevelle, are an absolute blast. I highly recommend it. I use it to scare the crap out of people, and they are a great attention getter instead of blowing the horn at some idiot,,,I like to pull up along side and blip the throttle, watch them jump out of their skin

Black
    1999 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I use it to scare the crap out of people, and they are a great attention getter instead of blowing the horn at some idiot,,,I like to pull up along side and blip the throttle, watch them jump out of their skin
    LOL...I do the same exact thing!

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

Jegs has a good cheap set. Jegs brand.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

On a personal level, i see no need for dumps outside of race track use. I mean why do you want a car to sound like a garbage truck.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

The electric cutouts however on the chevelle, are an absolute blast. I highly recommend it. I use it to scare the crap out of people, and they are a great attention getter instead of blowing the horn at some idiot,,,I like to pull up along side and blip the throttle, watch them jump out of their skin
    Does sound like fun

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    On a personal level, i see no need for dumps outside of race track use. I mean why do you want a car to sound like a garbage truck.

We run a catted Y on ours, so it mellows the exhaust note just enough that it is perfect for running around with the cutout open. It does not get obnoxious until you rap on it. I can drive through town with it open and not draw the attention of Johnny Law.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I'm more of a dual cutout person, and run dual setups on 3 cars.

On one of them I do run the DMH cutouts, and they have been on there about 4 years now without a single issue. Dave is a great guy to deal with too. I dealt with him personally as his shop was about 10 miles from mine at the time.
    Manual cutouts aren't bad, I still have that on the other 2 cars. I can reach under and pull them off in 30 seconds or so,,,and they generally only come off while I'm at the track anyway,,,(3-4 times a year) with these particular cars. So it's not that big of a deal.

Oh man, I did that once.

I was cruising along and the light was red so i start coasting to the light. Some kid and his mom are on the right in a grand am. My cousin is trailing me in his truck.

I am rolling up to the light and it turns green, i figure, why not just floor it.

I do and look over, and this kid literally about shed his skin, he was driving, he pulls up to the next light and laughs. I never seen someone so scared.

My cousin saw him jump in his car and about died laughing, he said.

We run a catted Y on ours, so it mellows the exhaust note just enough that it is perfect for running around with the cutout open. It does not get obnoxious until you rap on it. I can drive through town with it open and not draw the attention of Johnny Law.
    If your running high flow cats I really dont think it would make that much of a difference over an off road Y. Just alittle less rasp.

99' 30th Ann TA

surprised not many people talk about Doug's Electric Cutouts.... They are by far the best quality in my opinion... Completely leak proof... Get what you pay for
    30th Anniversary Trans Am #0998
    B&B triflow exhaust, American Racing Headers, RPM Level V T-56, RPS clutch, LS6 intake, P&P TB, Hotchkis lower trailing, Panard Rod, Tower Brace, SFC's, and Swar Bar Kit, BMR Lowering Springs, HAL Adjustable Shocks and Coilovers, Powerslot Rotors

Quote Originally Posted by ebdboudreaux View Post
    surprised not many people talk about Doug's Electric Cutouts.... They are by far the best quality in my opinion... Completely leak proof... Get what you pay for
    I've never seen Dougs cutouts advertised anywhere. Is it the same guy that makes headers?? I know his headers are well made, I've used them on a pontiac engine build.

I feel the DMH's I bought are as good as any out there, and in some cases better than some that I've actually seen as well.
    I've never had them leak, still working fine after 4 years. And with a warranty just as long, you really can't go wrong.

Got a pic of the Doug's??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information