Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Water Pumps

This is a discussion on Water Pumps within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Eganslp does the model you's are talking about fit the 346Ls1?? cuz I have a 102, it's ...

silver
    2000 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Eganslp View Post
    does the model you's are talking about fit the 346Ls1?? cuz I have a 102, it's not put on yet tho. I still have the stock WP on there now and need to know if my stock WP will fit under the 102. -thanks
    get a LS2 design pump for your 102........you will save yourself alot of grinding

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    get a LS2 design pump for your 102........you will save yourself alot of grinding
    K, thank you!!! next question would be;
    What is the best and the cheapest to buy. Cuz I would love to get that elec. WP by..... I forget it begins with an M, but I dont wanna pay like 600 $ for it, ya know!! That's crazy!!
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

silver
    2000 formula

i think that electric WP is over rated.......you wont find me with 1

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

They are also pretty pricey -- around $500, if I recall.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

What is the best and the cheapest to buy. Cuz I would love to get that elec. WP by..... I forget it begins with an M, but I dont wanna pay like 600 $ for it, ya know!! That's crazy!!
    Its Meziere. The one that allows you to use factory belt routing and heat is around 600 bucks. the one that doesnt have an idler pulley or provisions for heat is around 400. But you wont be able to have power steering either and will have to get a bracket for the alternator so that you can tighten the belt.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

just replaced mine a few months ago with a duracrap....subbscribed for inevitable failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE View Post
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Hmmm, guess the GM pumps no longer come with a thermostat anymore or did you take it off before the pics???

Last time I bought a GM pump a few years ago it also included a new thermostat already bolted on.

I was also reading up on thermostats a while back. I was under the impression that the new style LS2 and edelbrock pumps took a more conventional thermostat rather than replacing the entire thermostat housing with the thermostat built in.

That would be a huge plus for thermostat replacements,,,since a simple thermostat is ~$10. But if you have to buy the entire thermostat housing with a built in thermostat it sets you back ~$65 or more. Gets kinda pricey every other year or so when you do a coolant flush and stat change.

Then I buy this 2004 6.0 litre complete, which is basically an LS2, and it has the same old stupid thermostat housing with a non replacable thermostat. So now I don't know what to believe.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

My factory waterpump lasted to 178k when the gasket started leaking.got a new wp from Advance and have has no further issues.I did have to buy a thermostat separate.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    My factory waterpump lasted to 178k when the gasket started leaking.got a new wp from Advance and have has no further issues.I did have to buy a thermostat separate.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Ya, buying the aftermarket or remain pumps from your local autoparts stores almost never includes a thermostat.
    Buying from GM however always did. Or at least it has in the past.

Evidently if Sommers pump is in fact a GM piece from GM, and he didn't remove the thermostat housing, then they no longer include the thermostat I guess.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

i think that electric WP is over rated.......you wont find me with 1
    i believe it depends on where you live, and what you want out of your car.

i have the Meziere EWP (55 gal/min flow rate) and here in TX 100°+ heat, it never gets above 170°, though the dummy gauge reads slightly higher. so much I don't have to worry about, and 3,000 hrs of drive time before it might do something mean well over 4yrs of drive time (assuming 2hrs/daily). sure OEM water pumps can last and perform just as long, so that's a difference of opinion i suppose.

however, in my case with it being more of a nice weather/weekend car, i'm sure ill get close to 6-7+ yrs out of it. for me, it justifies the slightly higher cost. plus it looks nice and sheds a few pounds in the process.

i'd rather spend a little more $$$ towards/on the engine, in the hopes that preventitive maintainance will keep it from being a 3600 pound paper weight.

i got mine on sale for $500 shipped, brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I was also reading up on thermostats a while back. I was under the impression that the new style LS2 and edelbrock pumps took a more conventional thermostat rather than replacing the entire thermostat housing with the thermostat built in.

That would be a huge plus for thermostat replacements,,,since a simple thermostat is ~$10. But if you have to buy the entire thermostat housing with a built in thermostat it sets you back ~$65 or more. Gets kinda pricey every other year or so when you do a coolant flush and stat change.

Then I buy this 2004 6.0 litre complete, which is basically an LS2, and it has the same old stupid thermostat housing with a non replacable thermostat. So now I don't know what to believe.
    This still puzzles me....

When you order a new thermostat from Summit for an LS2, you get the little replacement stat just like a gen 1 engine for about $10.
    But I have yet to see an LS2 or any other LS engine that has a stat like this. My 04 6.0 has the same full housing with thermostat built in just like all the previous LS1's have. So I had to send that back.

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Hmmm, guess the GM pumps no longer come with a thermostat anymore or did you take it off before the pics???

Last time I bought a GM pump a few years ago it also included a new thermostat already bolted on.
    Already answered that for ya! (see below)

Just got my stock AC Delco WP in the mail today. I like the design too. Looks like it'll clear my FAST 102 with zero problems. Also came with the thermo and "dick" looking cover for it, lol.

All I know is that this AC Delcom unit is ready to go, so at least my life is easier. I only got it for the ease of the FAST 102 install.

Ya, buying the aftermarket or remain pumps from your local autoparts stores almost never includes a thermostat.
    Buying from GM however always did. Or at least it has in the past.

Evidently if Sommers pump is in fact a GM piece from GM, and he didn't remove the thermostat housing, then they no longer include the thermostat I guess.
    You are correct, sir... it did in fact come with all that stuff.

This still puzzles me....

When you order a new thermostat from Summit for an LS2, you get the little replacement stat just like a gen 1 engine for about $10.
    But I have yet to see an LS2 or any other LS engine that has a stat like this. My 04 6.0 has the same full housing with thermostat built in just like all the previous LS1's have. So I had to send that back.
    Weird... can you verify the part #? Do you have any pics? Also, my LS1 has the complete thermo/neck as a 1 piece unit. This new pump is a 2 piece. I'm kind of liking this new piece. GL with it, lol.
    Last edited by Sommer86@6LE; 03-23-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Oh, btw, here's is what I got. I preferred the AC Delco over the autozone one because of the GM backing. (might not mean anything, but it feels better, lol) I got a nice warranty and if GM uses it, it's good enough for me, lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...s#ht_917wt_939

It's was about $189 and change (shipped). It was well worth it for the piece of mind and the price.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i believe it depends on where you live, and what you want out of your car.
    agree. i would love to buy one. constant pressures, less engine load and i can leave it on at the track. i always have my fan on low between runs but have to start the car every 30 minutes or so to let the cool coolant in the engine and cycle it through.

if i could have the fans and waterpump going at the same time itd get cooler faster. which is good

Already answered that for ya! (see below)

You are correct, sir... it did in fact come with all that stuff.
    Ah, I just didn't understand that explanation you gave with the dick looking cover. Had me puzzled on that one.

Click for full size

Weird... can you verify the part #? Do you have any pics? Also, my LS1 has the complete thermo/neck as a 1 piece unit. This new pump is a 2 piece. I'm kind of liking this new piece. GL with it, lol.
    Hmmm, I see in the pic you got the thermostat seperate and the housing is another piece.
    See that's what I've been wanting but I've never been able to verify which GM LS engine came that way.
    According to summit it's all the LS2's from 2005 and up. I don't have that part number handy, but Summit had a goof up and was selling that style thermostat for ALL LS engines when in fact it won't work on the 97-2004 LS1 engines. Those as you know are all one piece.

I can tell you the thermostat they sold me for an LS engine appeared more like a conventional thermostat like you would see in a Gen 1 sbc. I just don't know what LS engine came that way. It didn't look like what you have there. So now apparently there are 3 styles of stats???

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Ah, I just didn't understand that explanation you gave with the dick looking cover. Had me puzzled on that one.
    Understood.... The name was escaping me at that moment, ha!

silver
    2000 formula

sommers........what temp of stat is that ??

sommers........what temp of stat is that ??
    Since it looks like the same thing I bought from GM, then it would be the stock 195, that's what mine came with.
    I am pretty sure it's the only temp GM will supply with their water pump kits. If you want cooler you'll have to go aftermarket.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information