Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Volant vs SLP-style CAI

This is a discussion on Volant vs SLP-style CAI within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Currently rocking an SLP CAI with a sealed Lid (that apparently doesn't fit perfect as I found out this afternoon). ...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2002 Formula

Volant vs SLP-style CAI

Currently rocking an SLP CAI with a sealed Lid (that apparently doesn't fit perfect as I found out this afternoon). Considering moving to a Volant setup, but not sure if it's better or just a marketing thing. Anyone here have both in the past and can recommend one or the other? I really only used the current CAI because I had it lying around from my V6 Bird. I was putting a "real" bellows on today and while the Lid/filter were off, I realized that it really does block a huge part of the radiator. If I can get a bit more oomph and run cooler at the same time, Volant it is.

2002 Black WS6

I like my Volant. Has a couple fitment issues with going around the radiator, but with some finess, it gets on there. But overall, I like the way it looks, and with my debaffled hood, its pretty much as RAM AIR as it gets =)

Light Pewter Metallic
    2002 Formula

That's one of the things I was curious about - a lot of the research I've done (including Posts on here) reference WS6's. I guess I'm really just looking to see if it's worth it to do on a non-RA car.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i dont think you will get any more out of it with the volant but i dont have one and dont like the way they look. i have a slp and if i had to do it over i would still just have a lid but i will never get any thing from slp

Black
    2001 Trans AM WS6

I have an SLP lid and before I went with that I did some research on this site and LS1tech and from what I saw, it's about 50/50. If you aren't happy with the lid, try the Volant, why not? Then let us know which you liked better.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I prefer the cleaner look of the lid setup...I seriously doubt you're going to get a noticable power difference switching from one to the other.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2002 Formula

Sounds good. Even went so far as to check out some YouTube reviews of the Volant and there seem to be some quality issues with some. Actually considering removing the CAI and just going with the Lid and !FRA mod. Not sure about keeping the front of the air intake sealed or not. I'll try each for a week and see if there's any sort of noticeable difference.

Impounded
    lid and FRA you can actually hear the air being pulled into the intake. i can set my hand on the intake after running an hour and it will still be cool to the touch
    just keep that air filter clean. FRA will make er durty in no time

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

I gained 7 rwhp with the volant over a slp lid. Dyno numbers are somewhere posted here. I have had no problems with fitment issues.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by The Perfect Formula View Post
    Currently rocking an SLP CAI with a sealed Lid (that apparently doesn't fit perfect as I found out this afternoon). Considering moving to a Volant setup, but not sure if it's better or just a marketing thing. Anyone here have both in the past and can recommend one or the other? I really only used the current CAI because I had it lying around from my V6 Bird. I was putting a "real" bellows on today and while the Lid/filter were off, I realized that it really does block a huge part of the radiator. If I can get a bit more oomph and run cooler at the same time, Volant it is.
    I had the same problem with my SLP lid. The center "tab" of the upper lid need to be "inside" the lower housing. The left photo is the "wrong" way, the right is the "correct" way.

Wrong.jpgCorrect.jpg

I prefer the clean look of a lid. Don't care for the unfinished look of the volant.

With a good lid, and the free ram air mod or a lower cold air kit, the engine will get all the air it needs. Plenty of 9 and 10 second cars running around like this.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I just switched from the slp lid and k&n filter to the volant. I can tell a difference with throttle response and there are some sites that test all the cold air setups. The volant gives 11 hp from stock and about 5-7 frOm the slp lid and high flo filter. My volant CAI had the hole in the mounting bracket on the passenger side was off by 5/8". I just drilled a new one in the bracket. I just put my car in a car show in Clawson, mi and everybody was stopping to check it out. I think it looks sweet.
    Diablo Sport Predator Performance Tune | TB Bypass | Bilstein HD Shocks | Eibach Pro Kit | UMI SFC | UMI Rear LCA's and brackets | UMI adj PHB, UMI Front/Rear Sway Bars |UMI Strut Tower Brace | SLP Lid | SLP Loud Mouth with quad tips | High output alt

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    I just switched from the slp lid and k&n filter to the volant. I can tell a difference with throttle response and there are some sites that test all the cold air setups. The volant gives 11 hp from stock and about 5-7 frOm the slp lid and high flo filter. My volant CAI had the hole in the mounting bracket on the passenger side was off by 5/8". I just drilled a new one in the bracket. I just put my car in a car show in Clawson, mi and everybody was stopping to check it out. I think it looks sweet.
    if you like it thats what matters but i will call bs on the hp over a lid. over stock maybe but a dyno is going to varies its readding each time so they just pic the best one and call it a day. but this is just my $.02

LPM
    2000 Z28

The guy that tuned my car actually said that a lid would do better on my car than the k&n i bought it with.

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    if you like it thats what matters but i will call bs on the hp over a lid. over stock maybe but a dyno is going to varies its readding each time so they just pic the best one and call it a day. but this is just my $.02
    And that's the cold hard truth. Each pull will vary 2-3% from the next, and there are so many other variables to take into account. Extrememly difficult if not impossible to measure the affects of a cold air system because the car is not moving on a dyno. You can blow a fan on it, but that hardly simulates real world conditions when you are going 100 MPH down track with various air pressure zones moving accross the car. So don't base your decisions on dyno's alone.

The best way to test an air intake system would be at the track, and watch your mph, and keep track of the DA. It doesn't take long to switch around air intake systems in the pits.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

i run the volant, i love the look. had to mod it a little so the filters sat straight but other than that all good on this end. I used to run the stock lid with a K&N before and i def like the volant over that. I would suggest if you are going to do either (volant or lid) that you also go ahead and do a smooth bellows while your in there. I wouldnt buy an actual smooth bellows though, just head down to lowes or home depot and pick up a coupler that will mount to the MAF and throttle body. A lot cheaper than buying an actual smooth bellows and from what i hear you get the same results.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And that's the cold hard truth. Each pull will vary 2-3% from the next, and there are so many other variables to take into account. Extrememly difficult if not impossible to measure the affects of a cold air system because the car is not moving on a dyno. You can blow a fan on it, but that hardly simulates real world conditions when you are going 100 MPH down track with various air pressure zones moving accross the car. So don't base your decisions on dyno's alone.

The best way to test an air intake system would be at the track, and watch your mph, and keep track of the DA. It doesn't take long to switch around air intake systems in the pits.
    +1 here

Well the plumbing coupler does work, but it doesn't really make the curvature needed to connect to the MAF properly. I've tried both on our 4th gens. Personally the bellow made for the car with it's 30* molded bend looks much better as if it belongs there.
    The plumbing coupler has to be cut at angles to work, and still puts things in a bind. In the end you can see the angle cuts on the end of the rubber and it just doesn't have that nice finished appearance that I prefer. But I'm a picky SOB.

Either way, getting rid of the accordian bellow is a must do in my opinion. You don't want anything in there that creates turbulance and disrupts air flow, even if it's such a small amount.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I put on the SLP lid and bellows for my WS-6 and I would much rather have the SLP belows than making a coupler work on the car ( unless youre running a much larger throttle body that needs custom work anyways). I like the lid over the Volant, I think it would lead to higher air velocity to the throttle body than the Volant would.

Ya, I can understand the attraction to the hardware store coupler however, it's hard for some people to swallow $50-$60 for a molded bellow, or what ever they cost now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information