Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Volant vs. SLP CAI Package

This is a discussion on Volant vs. SLP CAI Package within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; LOL, no big deal. Yes I bought one but it is not on the car so I cannot honestly comment ...

LOL, no big deal. Yes I bought one but it is not on the car so I cannot honestly comment on the fit yet. Hopefully it will be on soon enough.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    Volant has holes in its bellow....that is dangerous IMO...get something in that scoop and it'll get sucked right in the motor!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/attachment...7&d=1177272111

wheres there a fuckin hole??
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Mystical
    A hole is a hole dude. Most likely Volant screwed up on the rigidity or fitment of their intake after they were made and put holes in it to relieve the stress. Have fun if you suck in some leaves or dirt!
    You stupid fuck......THERE IS NO HOLE!! There is no way for the volant to suck in leaves or dirt.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by jblindy View Post
    You stupid fuck......THERE IS NO HOLE!! There is no way for the volant to suck in leaves or dirt.

There's one more hole on the underside of that bellow as well. The fitment looks shitty too; you can see the filter is tilted toward the left or you just don't know how to perfectly clamp it on.

Who's a stupid fuck? I shouldn't even be pointing this out for your rude ass so one day there's one less moron on the road.
    Last edited by myk02k; 06-23-2007 at 03:41 PM.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

I see the hole you're referring to in the above pic. That's the Camaro intake version and can't talk about that particular setup since I have the dual cone intake version for my WS6. All I can say about that is... the plastic tube leading to the "stock" bellows attached to the TB on my intake has no holes in it at all. It's a very sturdy and solid piece of plastic.

Also, regarding the support braces on my box... They aligned with the stock hole locations with no problem and hold the box in place firmly with no problems.

Lastly, regarding my "being a dick comment"... yeah, I was being a dick. If that hurt your feelings, I apologize if that makes you feel better. But, I've been involved on numerous car forums over the past twelve years and the one thing that chaps my ass is people who make "statements of fact" with little to no information/experience. There's no better way of spreading mis-information. Your statement fits perfectly in that category. We all know what we know, and what we don't know. If you really want to help people, stick with the former. That'll get you more respect than off hand comments based on little to no knowledge.

Marc

Mystical
    Click for full size
    There's one more hole on the underside of that bellow as well.
    For the last time that is a brace to keep the bellows from collapsing, the bellows is completely closed from the outside world, just like your moronic thinking. Have you ever even seen this particular kit in person, or are you just relying on this picture to base you misinformed opinion? Jesus Christ, get your head out of your ass.

And rip on my ride all you want, if that's what it takes for you to feel good about yourself. Is that what makes you a manly man? A tough guy? Grow up kid, you're still wet behind the ears.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I put the Volant on about a month ago and have had no problems so far. Fit was excellent for me. No problems with the radiator support either. I can't comment on this "hole" controversy since I have it for a WS6 and not a Camaro, but I know mine doesn't have holes. Throttle response seemed better but I could just be telling myself that to justify spending the 300 bucks.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

My 2cents, Volant is much better than any other Intake on the market.
    To date I have never had a problem and it is super easy to clean.
    I can hear it sucking air and that tiny hole has caused me zero problems.
    Thumbs up on the product, was happy to install it on my Z.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by jblindy View Post
    For the last time that is a brace to keep the bellows from collapsing, the bellows is completely closed from the outside world, just like your moronic thinking. Have you ever even seen this particular kit in person, or are you just relying on this picture to base you misinformed opinion? Jesus Christ, get your head out of your ass.

And rip on my ride all you want, if that's what it takes for you to feel good about yourself. Is that what makes you a manly man? A tough guy? Grow up kid, you're still wet behind the ears.
    Call it a brace, dry nitrous accomidations, filter bypass, ect. It's still two holes that you said did not exist. One on the top of the bellow and one on the bottom. Ever wonder why Volant's other style does not have a hole in its bellow or the K&N open air element? I have seen that particular kit in person and plenty of others. My personal favorite is the K&N FIPK's for an open filter element simply because of its quality. I put 30k on that kit and the filter element still looks like new with no cosmetic damage. The Volant is not the only kit I'm critical about, take a search about the SLP/Fast Toys ram air underbody scoop and its ability to hydro-lock the LS1 if you hit a large puddle.

If I am misinformed, then how did I point out something with your kit you probably didn't notice? Call me too young to know what I am talking about or call me a bully, just know you were the one who go enraged and got owned in the process.

NOW on to this thread for my opinion on these kits. Go with the SLP/Fast Toys set-up as long as you don't get floods in your area. Alternatively, you should either take a look at the K&N FIPK or for something else original you could go with an MTI clear lid with a K&N filter and it would look like a clean set-up.

Mystical

If I am misinformed, then how did I point out something with your kit you probably didn't notice? Call me too young to know what I am talking about or call me a bully, just know you were the one who go enraged and got owned in the process.
    Damn kid, you are a dense one ain't ya.

First, you didn't point out anything to me......let's go back through the posts shall we..........

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    Volant has holes in its bellow....that is dangerous IMO...get something in that scoop and it'll get sucked right in the motor!
    06-17-2007 06:12 PM
    To which I replied.....

Quote Originally Posted by jblindy
    ???What the hell are you talking about??? There is no hole in the bellows. Go smoke another bowl. The hole that you see in the above picture is a brace or tube if you will to keep the plastic from collapsing. Provides rigidity.
    So, you see, you're not pointing anything out to me.

Enraged? You haven't seen enraged. Hit my wife or kids and you'll see enraged. It just ticks me off when people, such as yourself, start spouting shit that they know nothing of.

So, to help you grasp the simple concept of a "brace" I went out and snapped a few photo's. Hopefully your walnut sized brain can comprehend what you are seeing.

Tell me where is there a hole in the volant that can suck in "leaves or dirt"?

Who's the one that got owned now, eh dumpfbacke?

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

who wants to e-race?

F-Body Freak

Red
    01 WS6(m6)

Thx guys for your Replies, I never wanted a Flame to start. I am just looking for info that all. You all have given me good info and I appreciate it alot thx.

EEEW,,,,I don't care for that brace at all. Doesn't make sense to try and free up air flow with what is supposed to be a better air intake and then stick a support brace right in the middle of the pathway

One of the first free mods on the 98-00 LS1 cars was to remove the tube from the EGR that stuck down in the air passage way right behind the throttle body,,,I can't believe they are making air intakes like this,,,,sheeeesh.

Some kind of Orange
    2002 TA WS6, 2004 GTP WS6

FWIW, the Firebird version has no such "brace"....

So those of you with this..(I asked before the inferno)..any issues with radiator support. I had to zip tie mine....

Mystical
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    EEEW,,,,I don't care for that brace at all. Doesn't make sense to try and free up air flow with what is supposed to be a better air intake and then stick a support brace right in the middle of the pathway

One of the first free mods on the 98-00 LS1 cars was to remove the tube from the EGR that stuck down in the air passage way right behind the throttle body,,,I can't believe they are making air intakes like this,,,,sheeeesh.
    I don't think it affects the airflow all that much. I make 342 hp and 359 tq with just the volant cai, slp lm, and a few of the basic free mods. I have no complaints. Also, this is an older version of the volant, I don't think the newer version has this brace. I've had this one for about three years now.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

I thought the same thing when I saw the picture. I am sure it cant help airflow any. I mean make the bellows differently or thicker so the brace isnt needed. Poor design. Period.

If there is anything at all in the air path that is taking up space, it's affecting the airflow.

The free mod of removing the EGR tube in 98-00 cars has been proven to be worth a few ponies on the dyno,,,and it was nothing but a small round tube much like the support brace on this air intake we are talking about.

It is definately causing some type of turbulance. I am sure it's still better than a stock air intake but for the money they cost I wouldn't expect something like that in the air path. Evidently the manufacture was thinking the same thing as it was mentioned this is no longer in the new versions.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I have the Volant and have for over two years and absolutely love it. Throttle response is better, more pull on the top end, and I can actually hear the sounds more from up front making me at least believe buying the ram air hood and the Volant is worth the money...yes, I have an LS-7. I did the free mod a few years back and you can feel a small seat of the pants difference with just that mod. Believe me, you can feel it again with the Volant. I have had no radiator support issues that I know of and I autocross mine and run short tracks once in awhile.

It will all come down to personal preference though unless someone is willing to spend the time and money to dyno test each and every set-up. I don't have either so I went with what I liked as far as looks...and it just so happens to perform great as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information