Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    F-Body Freak

Red
    01 WS6(m6)

Question Volant vs. SLP CAI Package

Hey All I have been doing alot of research on which way I want to go. So I am asking you all for your opinions. Volant or SLP CAI Package since they are close in price. I want to get the best the first time with my WS6, instead of having to buy something again.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

alright i have done the same research a while back.....i chose the lid over the volant (dual filter)for one reason.......it gets fresh air outside of the engine ..especially at highway.....volant doesnt ever...

Mystical
    Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    alright i have done the same research a while back.....i chose the lid over the volant (dual filter)for one reason.......it gets fresh air outside of the engine ..especially at highway.....volant doesnt ever...
    I disagree. The volant is sealed off from the engine bay and cannot extract hot air from the engine.

If you're putting the volant on the z28, you can do the fra mod, which is what I did. The volant is perfect for the ws6 as the hood is set up for ram air. The volant seals from the enging bay, the slp cai doesn't.

F-Body Freak

Red
    01 WS6(m6)

Thanks for the Replies so far. That's my issue, I want to get the CAI set-up that makes the most HP. Any other input anyone can give.

Right now the Set-up I am going for is:

For Induction
    ?? Volant or SLP package
    ZO6 MAF

For Exhaust
    Dynatech LT w/ High Flow Cats and Y-pipe
    Corsa Catback

ASP Under-Drive Pulleys
    Full Suspension From BMR
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Most likely Diablo Programer or DS Tuner For Tuning

That's what I am working on for now.

I Already have NOS Direct Port system installed (150 Shot)

I never liked the volant. I thought it was somewhat of an eyesore when the hood was opened. The lid is a much cleaner look for me.

Whats nice about the lid, and a very simple mod to catch outside air, is to cut open the plastic under the filter to pull in outside air up through it,,,right in front of the radiator. Plenty of 10 second cars getting away with just this mod. And when you open the hood it's not noticable and still looks stock.

In that picture above, you can see how the lower air damn is cut open under the filter, same thing is done with a stock lid, but it's hidden and still very effective.

NBM
    1998Z28

FAST TOYS RAM AIR or FTRA for short. It was tested and it improved Volumetric Efficency. Try this www.installuniversity.com look under the TECH articles. Excellent site by the way.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    What!? Sounds like good advice from someone who's got no clue how the Volant works. Listen to him and you'll be mounting a hair dryer to your throttle body and telling people you've got forced induction too.

The Volant's design fits the underside of a non-Ram Air WS6 hood better than the Ram Air hood. It has to do with how the ducts run on the underside of the hood. However, the Volant works better with the Ram Air hood because the inlets allow much more air to get inside the box.

The best way to fix the fitment issue is to get thicker foam around the edge of the box. Fortunately, this is not difficult to do in the least. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a length of copper tubing foam insulation. A six foot length is no more than three bucks and you won't even need all of it. The foam tubing even comes pre-split and has adhesive on the inside of the split. All you have to do is fit one end of the foam at the bottom of one side of the box and run it up one side, around the back and down the other side. Once you reach the other end, cut the foam and you're done.

You now have a CAI box that's sealed to the hood and NO engine heat is getting into the throttle body/intake.

I've been running a Volant on my WS6 for a number of years and like how it performs and looks. Although, I'll admit that the look of huge dual filters might not appeal to everyone. It appeals to me... and that's all that counts.

Oh, and on the performance issue... no one's been able to provide any solid data that shows that a lid (regardless of configuration) can out perform a Volant. Whether one performs better than another depends largely on intake/engine tolerances and could not be measured on the butt dyno. It probably couldn't even be measured on a real dyno reliably.

Most people will state that a lid is better than a Volant based primarily on two things: 1) looks and 2) price. Whether you like the looks or not is a personal thing and ranks right up there with "does my exhaust sound good". How something looks or sounds is entirely too subjective. However, I'll will admit that a brand new Volant is more expensive than a new lid. So if price is a factor, you may want to go with a lid. However, I picked up my Volant on eBay for just a bit more than a new lid and it was/is in excellent condition.

Sorry for the novel.

/soapbox

F-Body Freak

Red
    01 WS6(m6)

Thanks for the posts. I think I will be going with Volant. I know a friend of mine has the K&N CAI similar to the Volant, and he said it's a night and day differance between the K&N CAI and the Lid on his SS. That he could fell less pull with the Lid over the K&N. I just haven't liked the lid look, I guess because everyone for the most part has one. I like to be different, but I also am looking for the better CAI for HP and if the lids made more then I would go that route. But it seems like it's more of what look you like better deal. Plus the Volant just looks like it would help make more power then a lid set up.

Mystical
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Body Man View Post
    Thanks for the posts. I think I will be going with Volant. I know a friend of mine has the K&N CAI similar to the Volant, and he said it's a night and day differance between the K&N CAI and the Lid on his SS. That he could fell less pull with the Lid over the K&N. I just haven't liked the lid look, I guess because everyone for the most part has one. I like to be different, but I also am looking for the better CAI for HP and if the lids made more then I would go that route. But it seems like it's more of what look you like better deal. Plus the Volant just looks like it would help make more power then a lid set up.
    You won't go wrong with the volant. I love mine and I think it looks great and not too many people have it so you get to be somewhat unique. IMO the volant is better than the slp cai in that it seals off the engine bay, allowing your engine to breath cooler air. Good choice!

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

well everybody has their opinions on it..still..dont have to be a dick bout it

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

IM not trying to steal this thread but how do you guys feel about the K&N intake?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Volant has holes in its bellow....that is dangerous IMO...get something in that scoop and it'll get sucked right in the motor!

Mystical
    Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    Volant has holes in its bellow....that is dangerous IMO...get something in that scoop and it'll get sucked right in the motor!
    ???What the hell are you talking about??? There is no hole in the bellows. Go smoke another bowl. The hole that you see in the above picture is a brace or tube if you will to keep the plastic from collapsing. Provides rigidity.

As far as performance, until I see back to back track testing I don't think any single air intake is better than another. Butt dyno's don't count in my book.

It will come down to personal preference and what each individual wants to look at when the hood is open.

All the really fast cars do is cut the plastic open under the filter, once thats done you get all the fresh air a motor will need,,,and it throws comparisons of different lids and designs right out the window because at that point they will all be getting outside air in the same manor. Case in point is in the picture above,,,,no real comparison or benefit can be made for that Volant as it is grabbing air underneath the box just like all of your lids are capable of doing.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by jblindy View Post
    ???What the hell are you talking about??? There is no hole in the bellows. Go smoke another bowl. The hole that you see in the above picture is a brace or tube if you will to keep the plastic from collapsing. Provides rigidity.
    A hole is a hole dude. Most likely Volant screwed up on the rigidity or fitment of their intake after they were made and put holes in it to relieve the stress. Have fun if you suck in some leaves or dirt!

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by jblindy View Post
    I disagree. The volant is sealed off from the engine bay and cannot extract hot air from the engine.

If you're putting the volant on the z28, you can do the fra mod, which is what I did. The volant is perfect for the ws6 as the hood is set up for ram air. The volant seals from the enging bay, the slp cai doesn't.

Click for full size
    looks like a big flopping "you know what" coming out to get you...lol

Some kind of Orange
    2002 TA WS6, 2004 GTP WS6

Anyone with the Volant have issues with Radiator support?

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

fabricate your own and run the tubing from the bumper cover up into the lid. the slp intake would be superior if it extended further down and under the front lip of the bumper cover.

please, no one misconstrue this, i AM NOT supporting slp. glad we understand one another....

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    fabricate your own and run the tubing from the bumper cover up into the lid. the slp intake would be superior if it extended further down and under the front lip of the bumper cover.

please, no one misconstrue this, i AM NOT supporting slp. glad we understand one another....
    There is an extension made to hook to the SLP version to do exactly what you have mentioned. It brings the SLP duct work down below the front bumper. It runs about $50 and we had a thread about this a couple months back.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    There is an extension made to hook to the SLP version to do exactly what you have mentioned. It brings the SLP duct work down below the front bumper. It runs about $50 and we had a thread about this a couple months back.
    OH YEAH! damn i forgot about that. what an idiot i am. did you get it larry?
    i thought you were going to. if so, how was the fit?

Thread Information